gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Help - are these parts original?
Help - are these parts original? 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quote
JacquiK
I am now in possession of my Father's Gitane bike that he would never let me ride as a child. He was very possessive with it. It hung in his office. Trying to find out more about it. I know he had it in the mid to late 1970's. Too young to remember before that.

I don't think the handle bars are original as they appear to be Italian. It's possible he had it custom made at Wheel & Sprocket. The frame says "Inter Marque". I don't see a mention of a model by that name on this website.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Jacqui Krueger
East Troy, Wi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:49 am Reply with quote
Eric Amlie
I believe that your bike is an Interclub model. Probably early to mid seventies vintage.

You can look through the catalogs in the link on the main page of this forum. There is also a photo of an Interclub(taken from the WRONG side) on the models page. The old Yahoo group used to have a bunch of photos posted of members bikes. Looks like they didn't get transferred over here when this new website started up. Unfortunate! There were a lot of good photos which were useful for identifying models.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Your dad's bike is an Interclub model that was designed to be an amateur racing model. Most of these bikes had a frame made of lighter steel tubing than the standard Grand Sport models. Some of them used Durifort tubing.

They originally came with Simplex derailleurs, Mafac brakes, Normandy high flange hubs with sewups, Pivo alloy stem and bars and steel cranks with Lyotard pedals with toe clips. The seats were terrible just like those on Grand Sports.

Later versions came with 2 piece Sugino Maxi cranksets like on your bike. Many people switched from Simplex to Suntour derailleurs.

I had one or two of these bikes I used for around town riding. An old girlfriend still has one of them.

Chas.
Help - are these parts original? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane