gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » Gitane Super Corsa Goto page 1, 2  Next
Gitane Super Corsa 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
My Super Corsa is a late 60's or early 70's model based on the foil head tube decal and willow leaf seat stay caps. I purchased it as a frame only but still with it's original white paint and some decals. This SC came with the brake bridge in place so I retained it instead of going with Campy brakes.

I am not so fond of white so I stripped the paint and had a local motorcycle custom painter do the blue and gold lug lining paint job and I was very pleased with the result, including the Cyclomondo decal set. I am still planning on adding the original foil head tube underlay.

The build-up includes:

Pre-73 NR Crankset, 46-50 half step chainrings, and pedals.
NR seatpost, Brooks Professional saddle
MAFAC Racer Brakeset, Huret cable clamps, bridge anchor by Jay
Guidons Philippe Franco-Italia bars and Belleri Stem
Record high flange hubs with Super Champion Arc-en-Ciel rim in the back and Record du Monde in the front
Early NR front derailleur without circlip and no pivot pin extension
NR rear derailleur with "Patent" but no date
Zefal competition pump
S/N is 2529

Restoring this Super Corsa has been the most rewarding bicycle build I have done. I am very pleased to show it off!

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:54 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Jim,
And you should be pleased! Beautiful restoration!!!

Have you found a source for the foil?
I believe some places like Hobby Lobby or Michaels have a stick on silver Mylar foil that can be used for the head tube.

Please add a full view photo of the right side of the bike.

Congratulations.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:18 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Very nice job. It must be a blast to ride.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
verktyg
greyhundguy wrote:
Have you found a source for the foil?
I believe some places like Hobby Lobby or Michaels have a stick on silver Mylar foil that can be used for the head tube.

As I mentioned in another post, Mylar foil was developed in the 60s for use on space satellites. They made huge balloons out of foil coated Mylar that were visible from earth with the naked eye. I think that they bounced radar signals off of them.

Self adhesive Mylar foil became commercially available in the US about the mid 60s. It was a short lived craze and was soon considered cheap and tacky looking.

From the late 50s through the 60s "candy apple" (flamboyant) paint jobs on custom cars were all the rage. Part of the attraction besides the appearance was the difficulty in getting uniform layers of lacquer.

In the late 60s both of these affectations caught the eye of some French bike manufacturers Gitane being the most wide spread: if a little is good, too much is better! Rolling Eyes

We frequently peeled off the silver foil seat tube decals because they got damaged by the wheels rolling around in the shipping boxes. Same thing with the top tube Service Course decals. They looked tacky on a new bike when they were damaged!

We had stacks of replacement decals for the Gran Sport bikes but the silver foil decals used on the racing models were unavailable.

In the early 70s I removed all of the Gitane decals except those on head and down tubes on both of the Super Corsas that I had. I didn't want to be laughed out of the peloton by all those posers riding flashy Italian rigs! Confused

Times have changed. I spent $80 for a couple of sets of reproduction foil decals and another $40 to have a local frame painter apply one of the sets to my ~1972 Super Corsa. Cool

BTW, my guess is that the foil head tube was only used for a few years during the late 60s. The white Super Corsa pictured in the 1970 US Gitane catalog has it. I only recall seeing 1 or 2 bikes with it back in the day and they were customer's bikes in for service. It was probably the first victim of the Bike Boom, it had to take a long time to put on.

Chas.
Looks original! 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
verktyg
John,

You did a great job, it looks very original, like an early 70s Gitane should look!

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
speaking of foil tape, didn't a certain family aiming to land a reality show deal have a bunch of that stuff???

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
speaking of foil tape, didn't a certain family aiming to land a reality show deal have a bunch of that stuff???

Like I said, cheap and tacky! Laughing

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Jim,
So now that you know (thanks to Chas.) the history of Mylar foil, you can go get some inexpensive, adhesive foil from your local hobby shop or online so that you can complete your Super Corsa as it was.

Looking forward to the completed bike.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
Thanks for all the kind words. The SC does ride exceptionally smooth, even though I have only ridden it so far with old clinchers and I am SO looking forward to riding it on the sew-ups. I sized everything off my other bikes so that within the first minutes of my first spin around the block I could tell that the SC fit and performed really well. It climbs like a dream and I hope to put many miles on it.

I had hoped that Greg Softely (cyclomondo) would respond to my email soon. I sent him the original head tube "mylar" that I was able to peel off the frame. He volunteered to make a proper foil decal. If not soon then I will invent my own and update the pictures.

Someday I would like to have some of those nice period correct accessories like a TA handlebar water bottle cage.

Re: Balloon Boy! Ugh! 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Kinst VonSterga
overfedlonghairedgnome wrote:
Someday I would like to have some of those nice period correct accessories like a TA handlebar water bottle cage.

I was thinking the same thing last week. I hope you can find one cheaper that my ebay purchase cost $45 NOS Sad The only thing I'm going to replace is the stem (don't trust old Pivo's from snapping) and the handlebars as they're all sub 42cm in width. Either the Europeans have women-like torsos or they like to ride with some peculiar wrist angles on the bars (as 46cm width bars seem to be a natural fit ... and I'm just an average 6' in height).

ps. Great choice of colors as I always thought the light blue was beautiful on a bicycle. Nice job w/the restoration!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Kinst VonSterga wrote:
I was thinking the same thing last week. I hope you can find one cheaper than my ebay purchase cost $45 NOS Sad

That's the going rate for a NOS TA handle bar cage. I watched and bid for months trying to get one for less. I gave up and paid the $45. This is another of the French items that the Japanese collectors go after.

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
greyhundguy wrote:
That's the going rate for a NOS TA handle bar cage. I watched and bid for months trying to get one for less. I gave up and paid the $45. This is another of the French items that the Japanese collectors go after.
Jay

I have 2 of them, NOS from back in the day... They were expensive even then, maybe $15.00 each???

Sometimes back in New Mexico we rode with 3 water bottles on 50+ mile rides. I'd have 1 TA handle bar cage on each side of the stem and a 3rd cage on the down tube. When alloy cages became the rage, I moved away from the chrome plated steel TA cages but I hung on to these 2 just in case.

Back before electrolyte replacements were readily available, I used to mix up my own concoction: a can of condensed tomato paste mixed with water in one of my bottles.

During a 100 mile race one time, someone rode up next to me and grabbed one of my bottles out of my HB cage and doused himself with it!
Shocked

No one ever touched any of my water bottles after that! Laughing

Chas.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
Kinst VonSterga
[quote="verktyg"]
greyhundguy wrote:

No one ever touched any of my water bottles after that! Laughing
Chas.

LOL!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
verktyg wrote:

Back before electrolyte replacements were readily available, I used to mix up my own concoction: a can of condensed tomato paste mixed with water in one of my bottles.

Chas.

Yuck. Why not just use Coke ("Coca-Cola", thank you) or lemonade? Or were you a "V8" guy??? Again...yuk. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
verktyg wrote:
Back before electrolyte replacements were readily available, I used to mix up my own concoction: a can of condensed tomato paste mixed with water in one of my bottles. Chas.

Yuck. Why not just use Coke ("Coca-Cola", thank you) or lemonade? Or were you a "V8" guy??? Again...yuk. Wink

Coke, Pepsi and all of the other colas don't have any electrolytes. They are mostly water with sugar, caffeine, phosphoric acid, flavorings and carbon dioxide!

A couple that I used to ride with lived with her brother who was a world class runner. All three of them used to drink pure Coca-Cola syrup - now that's YUK! Shocked

Lemonade is water, sugar and minimum amounts of a few electrolytes. V8 is mostly water too.

Now, tomato paste was great! It contained a lot of natural sugar, some important electrolytes plus vitamins and minerals. It was concentrated so when mixed with water it had the consistency of watery ketchup in my H2O bottles! Twisted Evil

Besides, it was a natural pest deterrent! Laughing

Chas.
Gitane Super Corsa 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery