gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » Erik's @ 1970 Gitane Gran Sport Restoration Completed Goto page 1, 2  Next
Erik's @ 1970 Gitane Gran Sport Restoration Completed 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
edorwart
I aquired this bike from my 2nd Cousin who owned it since @ 1971-1972 and was the 2nd owner. The bike has not been ridden in 15-20 years and was haning in his garage. Some of the parts were not original but overall the bike was in decent shape for its age.

Many would just have given it a tune up and polish and got it back on the road. I on the other hand wanted to undertake a restoration. I have restored 2 classic cars in the past. My experience shows that your 2nd restoration is always better than the 1st so I might as well start with a bike that is not quite so rare.

I have a habit of trying to make things a little better than they originally were, so some of the parts will be upgraded with higher quality but still period correct parts.

Here is what I am starting with.

This is where the bike is at today.

The original decals were carefully removed as sent to Greg Softley in Australia in the hopes he can reproduce the ones that are not yet available.

The frame was media blasted then primed with self etching primer and painted.

I did find via a Gitane USA forum member that Velo Classique has the Seat Tube Decals I need so now all that is needed in the 2 Fork decals and I am good to go! If anyone knows anyone that may have these decals please let me know.

The original paint was quite faded as I learned when the decals were removed and I could see what it originally looked like. The repainted frame looks darker but that is in part due to the different lighting conditions at the time of photography.

As I said I will be upgrading the bike so I have a set of Simplex Criterium Shifter and Derailleurs coming to replace what would have originaly been Simplex Prestige.

Also new Mafac Racer brakes and Shifters are on the way.

I plan on keeping 27" X 1.25" wheels but will most likely have a new set built using Normady Competition Hubs, I would love to find a set of NOS Rigida 27" x 1.25" 36 hole rims for the build but I may have to go with a more modern aluminum rim, as so far none have been found, we will see.

More images and information will be posted along the way!

Thanks for looking.

Erik

Last edited by edorwart on Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:37 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Wow. That paint job looks great. Congratulations...this thing will look better than new when done!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:06 am Reply with quote
edorwart
sandranian wrote:
Wow. That paint job looks great. Congratulations...this thing will look better than new when done!

Thanks for the compliment, I am pleased with how it turned out myself, I can wait to get more parts on it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:45 am Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
Erik

I just caught up with your project. It is a very charming bike and I like the color, which you have replicated very well. How are the decals coming? I have Greg Softley also replicating a decal for my Gitane project so hopefully he is busy at work!
What did you choose for brake cable housing? Were you able to get the ferrules to fit?

Best Regards - Jim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:11 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Did you use the Waders to keep from getting paint all over your feet? There sure is a lot on the floor...giggle Wink

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
edorwart
overfedlonghairedgnome wrote:
Erik

I just caught up with your project. It is a very charming bike and I like the color, which you have replicated very well. How are the decals coming? I have Greg Softley also replicating a decal for my Gitane project so hopefully he is busy at work!
What did you choose for brake cable housing? Were you able to get the ferrules to fit?

Best Regards - Jim

I am still planning out the brake cable set-up at this point, going to deal with that when I have more parts on the bike! Decals are a sort of long story, Greg is going to hook me up but here is a very busy guy. I told him he can take all the time he wants.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
edorwart
greyhundguy wrote:
Did you use the Waders to keep from getting paint all over your feet? There sure is a lot on the floor...giggle Wink

Jay

Very funny and very observant! No I had an issue with the paint nozzle....never mind the floor you should have seen my hand!

On a side note anyone that is thinking about painting one of these frames might want to look into using a "self etching" primer as when you media blast a frame clean it reveals the brazing that holds the tubes in the lugs and metal like brass / bronze are not always the best for painting over but this type of primer is designed for that type of stuff. I used Mar-Hyde

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MAutomotive/Aftermarket/Products/Product-Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQCEK3_nid=19F5LX1XPLgsFDKXQL309JglV7XH3V1SNKbl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
edorwart
Coming along well, bottom bracket and crank is back on. I am waiting for a bunch of parts to arrive, hopefully Monday then more pictures will soon follow.

I spent the afternoon carefully and completely disassembling the freewheel and cleaned and re-greased it. After 20 years of non-use the grease had turned to clay!

Now it is smooth and quite and clean, very satisfying indeed!

Does anyone know wher I can get some new, NOS or really nice used headset washers? (need 2 possibly 3) I have found some keyed one thant I could probably make work buth they are smooth and do not have the ribbing that the originals have.

I have attached a picture below. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Erik

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
edorwart
Moving along, the Deraileurs / Shifters arrived today, just need to find a Claw for the rear Simplex Derailleur.

I will be using white Gore Ride-On cables, I use them on my Cervelo and they work great, plus they come in white and the coated cable will help with the explosed cables not scatching the paint!

Parts I am still looking for:

Simplex rear derailleur hanger,
Headset spacer / washer see photo above.
Kickstand.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Still can't get over the paint job. Great work. The simplex derailleur and shifters...are those NOS? Did you do any polish work on them? In particular, the seat tube clamp on the front derailleur looks incredible: Better than new.

Re: Erik's @ 1970 Gitane Gran Sport Restoration Project 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
edorwart wrote:

I have a habit of trying to make things a little better than they originally were, so some of the parts will be upgraded with higher quality but still period correct parts.
Erik

Erik,
Indeed you do. The Simplex 'Criterium' upgrades were only found on the high end Gitanes. The 'Criterium' FD is the same as the 'Prestige' but has what they called 'Presentation luxe', meaning the front portion of tube clamp was Chrome plated and it had a polished alloy button on the side in place of the red plastic one.

An amazing job.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
edorwart
greyhundguy wrote:
edorwart wrote:

Erik

Erik,
Indeed you do. The Simplex 'Criterium' upgrades were only found on the high end Gitanes. The 'Criterium' FD is the same as the 'Prestige' but has what they called 'Presentation luxe', meaning the front portion of tube clamp was Chrome plated and it had a polished alloy button on the side in place of the red plastic one.

An amazing job. Jay

Yes they are NOS Criterium Parts, I figure after I am done and I can alsways do a Tour de France down the road and transfer these parts on to it!

Turns out the Rear Derailleur I bought was a frame mount not claw mount, (still learning the ins and out of Simplex) Wayne at Velo Classique is going to sell me the parts to convert it.

Jay did you just do a similar conversion?

Erik

One last photo!

Last edited by edorwart on Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Shiney New Parts! 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
edorwart
More items for the project arrived today.

The NOS hubs were a great deal (I think so) at $53.00 from Belguim. I disassembled them as the old gresae was a little, well, old! All cleaned up and repacked with Dura-Ace grease. They will be shipped off to Harris Cycles to get build up to a set of more modern 27" Alloy Rims. I would have liked to stay with a period correct rim but at this point I have not found any and will keep searching and when I can get my hands on some exccellent period rims build them up on a set of Normandy Competition hubs.

The rear derailleur will be installed when I get the conversion claw from Velo Classique this week. The Grand Sport De Luxe used a Simplex Prestigue claw mount originally and I do not know if the Simplex Criterium every came in a claw mount but can be converted to one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Erik,
It's funny that the box illustrates two different flange designs along with the drawing showing the skewer lever on the wrong side of the rear hub. Artist licence I guess???

Jay

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
edorwart
greyhundguy wrote:
Erik,
It's funny that the box illustrates two different flange designs along with the drawing showing the skewer lever on the wrong side of the rear hub. Artist licence I guess???

Jay

I noticed the different hole patterns but good eye on the quick release being on the wrong side!
Erik's @ 1970 Gitane Gran Sport Restoration Completed 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery