gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » Jay's 1976 TdF - BEFORE Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jay's 1976 TdF - BEFORE 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Here's the next project on tap. An all original 1976 Gitane Tour de France. I was able to trace it's heritage to being purchased in Des Moines, Iowa at Bill's Cyclery in the Summer of 1976. This information was gleaned through conversations with the original Owners Son. Dad and Son did several RAGBRAI Tours ( see http://ragbrai.com/ for more info ) and then this bike was pretty much stored away for years. I tried, originally, to purchase the Bike from the Son, who put an Ad on Craigslist, in North Carolina where he now lives. I lost to a higher offer. I got a notion one day to run a WTB Ad for Gitane on Craigslist and what turns up???...the same Bike from the first buyer. He bought it to part out on eBay. I jumped on it and am glad I did. It turns out that it has one of the earliest 1st Generation Huret Success Titanium Rear Derailleurs as indicated by the Date Code they used 4875 (48th week / 1975 ). The only thing that strays from original specs are the Rigida AL1320 27' Rims ( Spec'd with the newly introduced [ in 1975 ] Mavic Module 'E' 700c clincher Rims ).

So, now it's time to build up a set of Module E's that I acquired and get it back to the Factory specifications. The only other issue is that it is missing the Down tube decal ( there is NO evidence of it ever having one ). I've kept an eye out for an Original as Cyclomondo's are not quite correct (YUP...I'm picky! ). New cable housing, Bar Tape and I'll be done...MAYBE????

Note: It has the original Gitane branded Toe Straps. Cosmetic condition of frame is excellent.

I'll post the "FINISHED", with all the specs, in the future.

Jay

Last edited by greyhundguy on Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Jay,

Great find. It looks NIB and OTR "Off the Rack". No wonder you had no interest in the rust bucket that I wrote about yesterday.

Check your PMs.

Chas.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:47 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Jay,

Well done indeed. That's a great story and a super bike. How fortunate in it not being parted out. The Huret rear derailleur is very special.

Thanks for posting.

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:18 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Tim and Chas.,
Thanks for the comments. I'm looking forward to spending FAR LESS on this bike than I did on my '71-72 TdF. The Module 'E' rims will be the only big item. Then a good overhaul, clean and wax will about do it. New Bar Tape and Cable housing won't break the Bank.

Jay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
"What's Wrong With This Picture" Prize Contest. OK, almost 60 views and no comment. In the first photo (full Bike) there is something WRONG! The first correct answer wins a pair of New Bullseye silver anodized pulley wheels. ***You must be 18 years of age or older. All Taxes are winners responsibility. No purchase required. This offer expires 8-29-09.

Jay

Last edited by greyhundguy on Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:29 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Sounds very generous Jay, the prize looks good. Please could you clarify 'first photo' as I'm not sure what that is.

Thanks

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Tim,
The photo of the full Bike.
Jay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Thanks Jay

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Looks to me like the Left side crank is not in alingment---180 degrees out of sync with the R side crank arm (the pedals are in the same spot)

I Like Steel !!!!

just wish I could get my photos to upload also (darn photoimage.org) still haven't figured it out --some kind of bug in my machine I guess.

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
We have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "smilingroadrunner" aka C.A.

C.A. send your address via Private Message and I'll mail on Monday.

Congrats!!!
Jay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I didn't get a chance to see your offer. I was downstairs remedying a couple of headset issues.

Besides, I was so enthralled with the image of your new "baby" that I didn't even think to make a critical evaluation (as I usually do).

I've used these Bullseye Pulleys since the 70s. Not because of the claimed minuscule reduction in friction but because they were quieter and smoother than most plastic pulley wheels.

One thing to watch out for, they don't work smoothly with the narrow 8-9-10 speed chains.

Chas.

Last edited by verktyg on Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Re: Not fair! 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
verktyg wrote:
One thing to watch out for, they don't work smoothly with the narrow 8-9-10 speed chains.
Chas. Disappointed....

Who the heck uses 8-9-10 speeds on Old Gitanes??? Wink

Jay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
greyhundguy wrote:
Who the heck uses 8-9-10 speeds on Old Gitanes???

I Do!

Older 5 and 6 speed chains are getting hard to find and don't shift as well as the newer styles.

SRAM PC-850 and the previous PC-48, PC-58 and PC-68 chains are designed to work with 6, 7 and 8 speed freewheels. They're narrower and can be a little rough running on some thicker derailleur pulleys.

Chas.

Last edited by verktyg on Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thanks Jay !! 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
I just was the lucky one who saw your post earlier this afternoon before I went out for a ride to work out some work related frustrations 102 degrees and 25-28mph winds here in Ks. this afternoon---so after surviving the 28 miles I was pleased to see the reward when I returned home.

Chas, 'You Snooze----You Lose" Laughing

Actually Jay, as you saw in my PM, I think I have a place to utilize the Bullseye pulley cogs-----BUT---- I really owe Chas for many occasions where He has helped me out on technical and restoration issues over the last few years. I really appreciated his help with the 70's decal project that we worked together with Greg Softley.

SO: If you are willing. I would like to believe that many members of this forum are appreciative (????sp) of Chas contributions to this forum.
I certainly would like to " Gift " your prize to Chas. If he is willing to accept this will put a smile on my face this evening and I hope on his also. Very Happy

This is a great place and I always look forward to the help and comraderie we share together.

So Chas in this small way it's my thanks to you and the other members for the knowledge we share and the fun times we have Cool

I Like Steel !!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
verktyg wrote:

Older 5 and 6 speed chains are getting hard to find and don't shift as well as the newer styles.
Chas.

Hummm...glad I didn't offer one of my NOS/NIB Sedis Chains as a Prize. You really would have been P****d off with me Wink

I have a small stock for Period correctness (it's all about details). Wanna buy one?

Jay

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery