gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Pro Racing - Classics/Giro/Tour.... » There is nothing but brute force that can win a race-Hinault
There is nothing but brute force that can win a race-Hinault 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Hinault: ‘Only way to beat Astana is attack’
By Andrew Hood
Published: Jul. 15, 2009

Five-time Tour de France champion Bernard Hinault has never been one to hold his tongue.

A month before the Tour started, the last French Tour winner lashed out at just about everyone in an infamous interview, lambasting riders and sport directors alike.

VeloNews European correspondent Andrew Hood sat down with Hinault this week to get his assessment of how the race is shaping up midway through the 2009 Tour de France and the “Badger” was at his cantankerous best. Here are excerpts from the interview:

VeloNews: Astana is controlling the Tour, what should riders do to break the stranglehold?
It’s necessary to attack. There are not 36 solutions, just attack!

Bernard Hinault: Attack! It’s necessary to attack. There are not 36 solutions, just attack! I think the four riders who are placed in GC, if the others don’t try to attack them, there is no way to get time on them. But with what is left of the Tour, there are still ways to pressure them; to have some fun.

VN: But isn’t it necessary to attack intelligently?

BH: There is nothing but brute force that can win a race. The only thing the head is good for is to help endure the elements, because there are some riders who are not so strong in the head and not so good at that.

VN: What about the riders and pundits who criticized Cadel Evans when he attacked on the Envalira early in the stage to Arcalis?

BH: They should go home! It’s not them who pay his salary. He is paid to race. That’s all. There is no question. If that annoys them, then they should stay at home! I have always said that someone who wants to attack, should attack. And then afterward we’ll see. He tried. That’s his role. He’s the leader of the team. He is not there to follow the others. He has to keep trying. He has to attack from behind to surprise. He cannot attack off the front like he did.

VN: Are you surprised to see Australians and Americans dominating the Tour?

BH: Cycling is no longer a sport of the old continent. There are also English, Australians, Americans and now Japanese. And tomorrow, why not the Chinese? And then Indians? Or Africans? Cycling is open to everyone and it’s necessary to take advantage of that.
No matter what happens, it is not the team manager who races the race. It will be riders who decide and who can smash the pedals the hardest.

VN: We’re seeing some polemic between Armstrong and Contador, was that similar to you and LeMond in the 1980s?

BH: No, no. There was no polemic between Greg and me. In 1985, I was designated to win the Tour and in 1986, it was his turn. And it happened just like that. What we’re seeing now is that two want to win. It is quite the opposite. Armstrong says he wants to win and Contador is here to win as well. In their story, the combat is still to come! The first shot was at La Grande Motte in the big breakaway. If the two Astana riders with him would have pulled, he would have been in yellow. Contador responded with a counter-punch at Arcalis. No matter what happens, it is not the team manager who races the race. It will be riders who decide and who can smash the pedals the hardest. One of the two will be at the front.

VN: Does rivalry within Astana threaten to split the team?

BH: They should have picked a clear leader before the start, then there would be no doubts. But what makes it even more interesting is that there are not only two, but there are four! Kloden and Leipheimer are there, so what do you do? There are not a lot of teammates to look after them. It can be dangerous. Plus, we don’t know the attitude of Kloden and Leipheimer. What will they do? If they go in a breakaway, what happens behind?

VN: Do you think the other rivals can make an alliance against Astana?

BH: Not an alliance, but the circumstances of the race will see some interests come together. The Schleck brothers must take turns attacking, and Evans as well. You don’t want them riding against each other. You need to wait until one of them makes an attack, then leave it to Astana to chase, and then another team should attack against them. Let them chase! Take turns attacking them! Wear them out! But don’t start riding against each other.

VN: What do you make of the Armstrong return?

BH: Pfft … I couldn’t care less in the end. It’s not my problem.

VN: Don’t you think it’s impressive that he’s been able to return to the top level after being away from the sport for three years?

BH: But what is his motive for coming back? Is it to win? To fight cancer, or something else in the future? To one day be the governor of Texas? I think at this moment, the Tour serves him more than what he serves the Tour.

VN: Do you think his return is good for cycling?

BH: I am not convinced that it will be good for cycling. One speaks a lot more about him and the Astana team and the politics between the two of them than about any other riders. It’s necessary to remember that there are other riders who exist. The media should look at everything. OK, they are there, but there are other teams, other riders. One should see as much for others as them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
I love Hinault. Just tell it like it is, and if they still disagree put them in the gutter.

Delta Dreamin'
There is nothing but brute force that can win a race-Hinault 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Pro Racing - Classics/Giro/Tour....