gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Modern Gitane » Gitane 2010 Range Preview Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Gitane 2010 Range Preview 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:55 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Just got word from Gitane in France that for 2010, Gitane's "Definitive" line will include a frameset with an integrated seatpost!

Personally, I have been waiting to update my frameset for this, so looks like next year will feature a new ride for a certain list member!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Gtane
Sounds good.

Looks like seatpost integration is becoming 'de rigueur' for most carbon frame manufacturers at the moment.

Look forward to hearing more.

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn
Stephan, Tim,
Thanks much for this information, S.A. Given that I am so fussy and a vintage NOS S/C, TDF, TP, etc., in my size (57 cm.) seeming unlikely, the new Definitives seem like a best bet for a new Gitane. Now, do I need an integrated seatpost? Good question. Maybe, I should have a beer and think about it...
Bienvenue,
Peter H.
(Not necessarily clean and sober)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn

S.A.,
One question that I would have, re the 2010 Definitives, would be that of component selection. Whereas, a frameset to be set up with the best, as needed, would be ideal, I have been satisfied (for the most part) with "the best from Gitane" in the past. This years' Centaur model is (from my perspective) a pretty nice model. However, I'm wondering if Gitane might weigh in, for example, with a possible Chorus-11, model for 2010. Well, as they say, patience is a virtue!
Bienvenue,
Peter H.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
All I do is buy the frame and then put on whatever parts I want. The reason I do that is (1) the exchange rate and (2) the shipping.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
A word of caution from the mechanic's perspective. Choose whatever groupset takes your fancy, but..........

Shimano's latest offering of Dura Ace 7900 is the worst Dura Ace I have ever seen. The shifting quite simply is about the standard of Tiagra 9 speed. Super soft and far less accurate than we have come to expect from their top groupset. This is my opion based on working with the group. It is also the considered opinion of numerous other respected mechanics that I know.

Having said that, the reports that I have heard regarding the DI2 electronic version of the group are quite positive. I have not had the opportunity to handle the group in the flesh, but I have heard that the shifting is quite positive and snappy. This seems to be at odds with the cable driven version and leaves me wondering if the boys at Shimano engineered the cable version to be a bit spongy in order to "encourage" the punters to take up the electronic version quickly. From a manufacturing perspective they would be crazy not to go fully electronic ASAP. The manufacturing and tooling costs are so much lower for electronic goods.

SRAM seems to be holding up OK as time goes by. No worse than the Shimano 10 speed groups at any rate.

Campagnolo have improved with the latest version of their shifters. The last lot they did, Record and Chorus had a quality mechanism in the shifters but everything from Centaur downwards had a very light action mechanism that was around the standard of Shimano Sora! Poor effort lads. I am happy to report that they have improved greatly with their latest groups. Super Record, Record and Chorus all have the quality shift we know and love. I recently bought a set of Veloce shifters for my girlfriend. They also have the heavier duty mechanism with the return of multiple down shift on the thumb button. The button has also increased in size somewhat. Regarding the funny turned in shape on the top of the brake levers...... It feels much the same as the old ones. Doesn't feel weird or anything.

For my money this year, it's Campy. But that's mostly because I just don't like the shift action of SRAM (maybe I'm just too old and cranky to change).

If you are a Shimano addict, check out the DI2 before you spend your hard earned $$ on 7900. Maybe it's worth the extra $$.

And just for all you "real" cyclists out there........ You just can't beat the good old faithful Campy Nuovo Record with some Simplex down tube shifters, a sachs chain, an Suntour Winner Pro 7 speed freewheel on Mavic cartridge bearing hubs laced to Ambrosio tubular rims. Cinelli 66/44 Campione del Mondo bars with a C 1A stem. Turbo or Rolls - whatever fits your ass. Ahhhh, I can smell the old time greasy bike shop smell as I sit here typing............

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I have the old style Shimano Dura Ace (7800?) on my bike right now. My next bike will be Campagnolo. I am done with Shamano, will only go electronic "kicking and screaming", and do not like the 7900 stuff AT ALL. It looks dirty and the braking stinks...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Best Dura Ace was the 8 speed, next best was the first 10 speed (7800) then the 9 speed and last of all the new 7900. If you put it on a graph it kind of resembles the economy actually........ Wink

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Not to be morbid...but does Chas.' quote mean that he wants to be buried in a carbon fiber coffin?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
I don't know about coffins, but........

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn

S.A., Wisey,
Thanks for the heads up! If I proceed ((and barring a miracle; i.e. the appearance of a 57-58 cm. steel Gitane (either new or nos)), it will be a frameset with Chorus, Record or S.R., depending upon the state of our finances.
Bienvenue,
Peter H.
Platic Casket 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
Not to be morbid...but does Chas.' quote mean that he wants to be buried in a carbon fiber coffin?

HELL NO!

It would probably catastrophically fail as I was being carried by 6 friends or being lowered into the ground! Confused

Besides I want my ashes scattered at some of my favorite places...

Chas. - "I'll give up my steel bike when they pull my cold, dead fingers off of my down tube friction shifters!" Shocked

BTW, I'd be wary of sitting on that throne device... Hate to get CF splinters in tender areas when it unexpectedly and catastrophically failed! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Now they are saying that all these "nano-technology" particles may be causing serious lung damage. The new asbestos. Wouldn't like to be working in a carbon bike factory. Give me the safe old burning flux fumes any day... Wink

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Wisey:

I like Greg LeMond as much as the next guy. But quite frankly, the 1989 Tour de France's final stage is STRICTLY VERBOTEN on this site.

Any of the individual stages from that year are fine to talk about. I encourage you to talk about stages 2 and 18.

Pushing the limits... 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
"What is 'IS' "..... Shocked

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bw94/sets/72157607855475310/

Unsigned.... 86'd
Gitane 2010 Range Preview 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Modern Gitane