gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » 1990 Gitane 653 Goto page 1, 2  Next
1990 Gitane 653 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn

The following is a test. The pictures might, or might not appear. If they do, they represent a team white 1990 Gitane 653. In 1989, Gitane U.S.A. imported three top line bikes; two Reynolds 653 models; a Replica ll equipped with a Campag. Croce d' Aune groupset; the Exploit with the same frameset and a Campag. Athena groupset. A 531 model with a Shimano 105 groupset rounded out this trio.

However, for the following year, Gitane, U.S.A. imported said 653 and 531 framesets, only. The frames were equipped with Cinelli lugs and Campag. dropouts. I tried to set mine up as closely as possible to Replica ll specs . Incidentally, some updated information indicates that the 653 frameset was brazed up with a thinner wall 531 main frame and with 531 forks and 753 stays!
Peter Horn
Sacramento

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Looks like:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:29 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
That is a really nice bike. Uber rare as well, I would imagine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:53 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Lovely bike Peter and super condition. You've done a great job with the build. Have you had it from new?

Nice team shot find, Wisey. Thanks for that.

Thanks for posting.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn
Cool
Stephan; Thanks. It'll have to stand alone as my only steel bike (I only ride Gitane) until we can convince Gitane France to reintroduce an 853 (or 953) framed Super Corsa.

Wisey; Thanks much for the picture! I'm stumped as to who that is riding next to Fignon and his.... well, non-Gitane. Maybe Bouvatier? As far as I know, the following were part of the Toshiba squad in, I believe, '88-'89 (when the team was riding Gitane): Jean Francois (Jeff) Bernard, the German riders Remig Stumpf and Andreas Kappes and, possibly, the French riders Pascual Lance (sp?) and Laurent Bezault. More details to come on this interesting bike.
Peter H.
Sacramento

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I remember getting a set of decals in 1989 from Gitane, which had some of the ones that are on that bike, like the "chevrons" on the seat stays. At the time, I had no idea where they were supposed to go, but noticed that they didn't fit very well anywhere...including on the seat stays!

I find it amazing that Gitane would design decals/stickers that quite frankly, don't fit the bike. Just another example where finishing details were apparently an afterthought for the makers of these bikes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn
Wink
Hi Tim,
Thanks much for the kind commentary!
The frame was purchased brand new from Torsten at Gitane, USA. I was really lucky with this velo, since I was actually looking for a less expensive Gitane Cromor to be used as a commuter bike! He noted that he had a nice 653 frame in my size (57 cm.). Needless to say, I did not hesitate!
Best Regards,
Peter H.
Sacramento

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:25 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I bought my first Gitane at the same time. Probably from the same guy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Gtane wrote:
Lovely bike Peter and super condition. You've done a great job with the build. Have you had it from new?

Nice team shot find, Wisey. Thanks for that.

Thanks for posting.

Tim

Have a dig through the Delta threads, there is a pic of Madiot in Toshiba colours riding a Delta in Paris-Nice I think it was.

Funny how they stuck with the yellow/black scheme even though they had finished with System U in 88, and were sponsoring the Toshiba team with it's "la vie claire" carry-over design.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:33 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
You have to wonder if they had designed that with Systeme U in mind, and then everything changed just prior to the season. The odd thing is that Gitane used stickers and didn't clear coat their designs, so they could have just had a new set made for the team bikes. Of course, it seems they didn't do that sort of thing back then, but you would think that it would be so easily done.

It would be great if someone could find that sort of thing out. Nicolas: You feel like interviewing Guimard? Wink

Gitane colors and decals 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Maybe Giulio and Giuseppe only had one kind of Gitane stickers at their shop in Milan.... Twisted Evil

86'd here I come.

It's the plunk mate!

Chas. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Wow Chas. That is some serious drink you have going on there. I couldn't figure out that one at all!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
OK, just a quick post before I go open a nice Victorian Caberenet Shiraz with my dinner.

The pic is from the 1989 Amstel Gold Race. The break contained the Professor (LF) of course, Phil Anderson (TVM), Teun Van Vliet (Panasonic) and the Toshiba rider is indeed J F Bernard.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn
Laughing
Who can be serious after the last few posts? Well, I will have to put on my "serious hat" for a time, as I have some dry information to be added re-this 653 in my next post.
Best Regards,
Peter H.
Sacramento

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn

Catalogues for 1989 must have been extremely rare or non existent in the U.S. However, the Buyers' Guides for Bicycling and Bicycle Guide for 1989 contained some information (albeit, no pictures) of the 1989 Gitane line. Per Bicycle Guide:

The Gitane Replica ll was equipped with: Frame: Reynolds 653: Color: Team White: Sizes: n/a: 2 water bottle braze on: 2 shift lever braze on: Pump peg: Gruppo: Campagnolo Croce D' Aune, friction: Brakes: Campagnolo Croce D' Aune Delta: Handlebar and stem: n/a; ((Bicycling lists such (for the Exploit) as ITM)): Chainring sizes: n/a: Freewheel: Maillard: (ratios-n/a); Bicycling lists such (for the Exploit) as 12-18: Wheels and tires: Wolber/Wolber (t): Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo: Pedals: Croce D' Aune; quill type including clips and straps: Frame angles: n/a: Frame weight: n/a; However, such for the Athena equipped Exploit was given as; 22 lbs.

Bicycle Guide's listed price for the Replica ll was: $2,380.00; that for the Exploit; $1,700.00.
Peter H.
Sacramento
1990 Gitane 653 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery