gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Campy NR brakes on early 70's TdF
Campy NR brakes on early 70's TdF 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote
J Carter
How did this work? I'm running 700c tubular rims and it appears that I will need around 60cm reach or more on the rear. The Racers I'm using fit fine, but I have a complete NR drivetrain and would like to use NR brakes as well, and know that Gitane used them on the Super Corsa and some TdF's. Were there longer reach NR brakes made (I see 45-57 available), did they require a dropbolt, 27" tubular rims, or can I just not measure? All help and experience appreciated.
lost question 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Sorry, I have no answers but just wanted to highlight this (serious) question for everyone before it gets lost in amongst my other trivia.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:43 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The Campagnolo parts which were used on TdF frames were only used on the "Super TdF" - a term that was coined by a former dealer/distributor to describe Super Corsa frames which were rebadged (or restickered) as the "Tour de France" to take advantage of the more popular name. I am unaware of any true TdF models which came with Campagnolo equipment. The "Super TdF" used Campagnolo dropouts, like the Super Corsa, and was, in fact, a Super Corsa frame for all practical purposes. So, as far as I know, if yours is a true TdF, it should have used Mafacs anyhow.

Also, Super Corsas were available with Mafacs as well, unless you wanted to pay extra for Campagnolo.

Have you tried the "long reach" campagnolo brakes? I would imagine that you have and are still experiencing problems? Strange.....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
J Carter
I was wondering what were the longest reach Campy brakes made in that era. Were some longer than 57mm? Guessing the Super Corsa frames were made for 700c only?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Campy made drop center bolts for their rear brakes. I never saw a Gitane Super Corsa that needed one of these. I think that they were mostly used on Raleigh Pro bikes.

During the Bike Boom between 1972 and 1974 I had always heard that there was a shortage of Campy brakes. The Super Corsa bikes where supposedly "available" with Campy brakes for an extra $100 or maybe $125.

I only ever saw one that came with Campy brakes. Both of mine came with Mafac brakes. I changed them to Universal side pull brakes when I bought mine.

Super Corsa bikes were never very common. There were a lot more TDFs.

Chas.
Campy NR brakes on early 70's TdF 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane