gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Early 70's TdF on CL - Not Mine
Early 70's TdF on CL - Not Mine 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
No, I am not selling my SC but here's Match Blue TdF that the owner says has Campagnolo dropout that came on Craigslist this morning. I got a couple of additional pics from the owner.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bik/1573588222.html

Looks pretty sweet

Jim

Very Nice TdF 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:21 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Nice find Wink

It's a very nice looking 1971-72 Tour de France in great condition. It appears to have Campagnolo rear dropouts, some TdFs came with them for whatever reason.

Back in the day it would have been a 60cm frame measured center to top. Sizes were all nominal.

It has all of the standard TdF components except for the Campy derailleurs, the stem and steel bars maybe off of a Peugeot U08 plus a Simplex seatpost and what looks like a Brooks B17 saddle.

The rear derailleur is a Campy Gran Turismo model. They weigh over 2 lbs. and make wonderful paper weights. I have one on my desk (best place for it). The oversize pusher cage reminds me of the Grim Reaper's Scythe. Twisted Evil

Price? It's in nice condition...

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
This sure appears to be the same bike I tried to buy about a year ago. Either the seller never sold it or a new owner is trying to sell it now. It was priced high back then, maybe not so much now. It was on eBay and CL back then. I remember the Campy components and condition. I still have the old photos and specs on my DEAD computer Sad

I don't need another one in Match Blue anyway.

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:03 am Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
It is in your neck of the woods, isn't it, Jay? I wondered if you would know of it. I thought it was a little overpriced but if it is in really good shape... Chas, of course, can spot everything. Amazing!

BTW, I am planning to ride today for the first time since my accident 6 weeks ago. Good to be able to get on a bike again!

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:26 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
overfedlonghairedgnome wrote:
It is in your neck of the woods, isn't it, Jay? I wondered if you would know of it.Jim

Back then he was willing to meet me 1/2 way for delivery but we could not agree on price. Since then I have gotten the red TdF so 2 1971-72's and a 1976 are enough.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:54 am Reply with quote
verktyg
greyhundguy wrote:
This sure appears to be the same bike I tried to buy about a year ago. Either the seller never sold it or a new owner is trying to sell it now. It was priced high back then, maybe not so much now. It was on eBay and CL back then. Jay

As a somewhat former buyer of old Gitanes and potential future seller of same, I like that the prices are going up! Razz

Get em while ya can!

It's hard to tell the real value from a few small pictures and they frequently make a bike look better than it is! Small spots of rust and corrosion plus paint problems don't show up clearly in these pictures. Additionally, what looks like a rusted POS to one person (the buyer) may be in perfect condition to another (the seller). Confused

Several years ago I bought a non Gitane frame on eBay cheap. It had a partial rattle can paint job and looked it. I finally got around to figuring out what I had and it turned out to be a jewel in the rough. It's a top of the line 1983 Bertin frame made of Reynolds 531SL (Supper Light) tubing.

The orange peel rattle can paint job polished out nicely with rubbing compound. As I was installing the components I discovered a little "scratch" in an odd place in the right dropout.

I picked away a little paint and with a 15x loupe I saw a telltale rust line on a rust free bike. It turned out to be a partially cracked dropout. I stripped all of the paint off of the dropout for further inspection. It was cracked halfway through.

On Friday I took it too a local frame builder friend and while he was checking it out, it cracked all the way through. He was able to TIG weld it for me so while it's mechanically sound, my jewel in the rough has turned to "damaged goods". Crying or Very sad

How this relates to Gitanes? Why do some people spend so much time cleaning a bike? Well, it's an opportunity to do a through inspection and hopefully you'll find nothing of concern! Very Happy

Home for wayward Gypsy ladies... Cool

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:33 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
YUP, it's the same bike I was considering a year ago. Just got Hi Rez photos from the seller who is the same as back then. He never sold it and is trying again.

No longer any interest on my part. Just curious because it is in exceptional condition.

Jay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
I agree that the prices of all the vintage bike stuff are going way up! I have been shopping for a vintage steel full-load touring bike... I'll be visiting the flea markets soon. What is it anyway, are all us baby boomers just going through a massive nostalgia thing and everybody remembers the bike boom? Muscle cars are not enough? Sheesh, what a generation.

I hope that someone who likes Gitanes and this form steps up to get that TdF!

Jim - back on the saddle again!

Early 70's TdF on CL - Not Mine 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane