gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » New Guy, Old Bike (Victoire)
New Guy, Old Bike (Victoire) 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
johnnyx
Came across this site after looking at all the stuff in my garage and thinking of what I might get rid of. Wink

I bought my Gitane Victoire (yellow/purple-ish) in July 1986 while in High School. It's just about all original minus the pedals and some cables. I hardly ever ride it, but after finding this site I thought I'd post up and see how many of these these bikes are still out there. Probably not a ton, eh?

I actually just found my receipt too. Bought it in Eugene, Oregon from a tiny Gitane shop, on Broadway downtown.

Saved up my money for months to buy this thing. Mowed lawns, pulled weeds, etc.

What are these things worth nowadays anyway? (I know, total open-ended question...) Not that I really want to get rid of it...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
The Victoire was 5 models down from the top and 4 up from the bottom.

Most French bike manufacturers made an inexpensive model with the same racing geometry as their top models for younger riders just getting into racing. This is what you have. It has lower priced components and frame.

It would probably bring $150-$200 on eBay if it was in nice condition.

Chas.
victoire 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Hi johnnyx

I have 2 victoire's. I still have my original that has been repainted, and another in original colours. Both have been refitted with better groupsets.
$249.95 sounds like a bargain. I paid AU$550.00 for mine in 1987. I guess the AU$ wasn't as strong against the US$ back then. Not sure what the market value for these in in the States, but I bought the one in original condition last year on ebay here in Aust for $60 (yes, that's about $40 US). So maybe you might like to keep it for old times sake, I don't think you're going to retire off this one...... Cheers.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:45 am Reply with quote
johnnyx
Thanks for the replies Chas & Paul.

Paul - I saw both your bikes in one of your threads - they look like they're in great condition. Lookin' good.

Mine's been neglected a bit, but always stored indoors. Wouldn't take much to clean it up, but yeah, I'll probably end up keeping it unless I really get tight on space in the garage. Laughing

I think the $249 price was "on sale" at the time, from a high of $300 or so. I thought it was funny I kept running across this receipt every few years in my old desk (that belonged to my grandparents, and is probably 40+ yrs old.)

I'll snap some pics of the bike if I get a chance and post them up for fun here soon... time to get to work!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:02 am Reply with quote
verktyg
johnnyx wrote:
Thanks for the replies Chas & Paul.

Paul - I saw both your bikes in one of your threads - they look like they're in great condition. Lookin' good.

Mine's been neglected a bit, but always stored indoors. Wouldn't take much to clean it up, but yeah, I'll probably end up keeping it unless I really get tight on space in the garage. Laughing

I think the $249 price was "on sale" at the time, from a high of $300 or so. I thought it was funny I kept running across this receipt every few years in my old desk (that belonged to my grandparents, and is probably 40+ yrs old.)

I made a wild guess of value based on what I've seen similar bikes sell for on eBay and Craig's List. On the other hand, I've seen bikes like yours sell for under $100.

You can buy a new Chinese made bike with decent equipment for under $300.

Go ride it instead. If you enjoyed it when you where young, it should bring back lots of memories. I started riding again last spring after quite a few years away from the sport, it's great.

A good tune-up and maybe a rear derailleur upgrade probably wouldn't hurt. Think of it as a classic European bike that's no longer available.

Chas.
New Guy, Old Bike (Victoire) 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane