gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Reproduction Decals javascript:emoticon(':cry:')
Reproduction Decals javascript:emoticon(':cry:') 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote
fredbeavers
I took the plunge and ordered a set of reproduction decals from the Australian guy on eBay. He was very nice and they only took a few days to arrive.

Unfortunately, they fall short in three areas. First, the yellow color that surrounds each letter is the wrong shade. My "truth models" are a 1983 team bike that is totally original, and a 1984 team bike that has a partial original decal set. The yellow color on the reproduction decals is too dark, and more orange in shade. So you could not mix-and-match original and reproduction decals on the same bike.

Second, the original bikes used decals on sticky-back clear vinyl that were applied over the paint, without clearcoat. For example, there was a single decal with both sets of "Gitane" lettering that wrapped around the downtube, and a similar one for the seat tube. The repros are trimmed tight around each letter. This would be better if you were going to clearcoat over them, but that would not be the way the bikes originally came.

Third, the repros are not exactly the same size as the originals, especially the vertical lettering for the front forks, which is smaller than the original.

Depending on how concerned someone is with originality these gripes may or may not matter, but I wanted to share them with the group.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:39 am Reply with quote
nicolas
Sorry to hear that...

I ordered it too, but for a very different purpose : since I can't find an original 83-84 team bike, I'm going for...a custom.

Yes, what matters to me most is not the mechanic itself but the overall look of it.

So I kept this 92 classic frame (not even a Gitane - I'm an heretic !) that I had, I will have it re-painted in blue and apply this set of decals...

The point is to be able to ride it on a weekly basis, I'm not sure I will go for the old brakes & gears or stay with a modern set.

One this is for sure, though : I've bought a turbo yellow saddle and yellow ribbon !

www.greglemondfan.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
verktyg
I recently picked up a 55cm 1984 Gitane Tour de France frame. It's made with Super Vitus 983 and has Vitus dropouts. The forks are chromed but there's no chrome on the frame.

It doesn't look like it's been ridden much. There's a lot of chips and scratches in the paint but no dings or dents. I had the geometry and alignment checked by a local frame builder. He had to true up the forks a little.

The frame has Gitane decals similar to the ones pictured in the Models section of this site except they are just pale yellow outlines on the seat tube, downtube and headtube. There are no logo decals on the forks or chainstays. It has a Super Corsa - Made In France decal on the right chainstay.

Here's a link to the decals that it should have:

http://www.gitaneusa.com/models_2.asp

I got a set of the "correct" decals on eBay from a seller in OZ. They look a lot better than the cheap plastic tape decals on the frame now. I've never seen one of these frames before so I'm not too fussy if they aren't perfect. I've seen a few early to mid 1970s Gitanes around but nothing later than a 1977 model.

My first Gitane was an orange 1973 Grand Sport that I bought new for under $100. The frame was too big but not knowing any better, I rode it for about 9 months. Then I bought a new 1971 or 1972 all Campy Super Corsa that was also too big.

I lucked out and traded that frame for a 57cm gold frame that was just the right size. I took off most of the tacky foil decals except for the Gitane Logos on the head tube and downtube plus the Reynolds 531 sticker.

My guess is that this 1984 Super Corsa was a replacement frame without a matching fork that some bike shop had laying around. The forks are correct but were a little too short for this frame.

Someone faced several mm off the top of the headtube and fork crown to make it fit. The frame came with a cheap Shimano headset that would have worked without facing. If whoever butchered this frame would have looked around they could have found a good headset with the correct stack height. I have a Tange Levin headset that will work great.

I have a late 70s Motobecane Le Champion. It was a replacement frame that I found at a shop in Pittsburgh in 1982. Later I found a matching fork at a shop in New Mexico except it was a little too short. I had to face off the headtube and crown to get the fork to fit but I did a good job so that it didn't affect the frame geometry. Most people wouldn't notice the changes.

I'm starting to assemble the 1984 Super Corsa. I have some new Simplex Super LJ derailleurs and levers, Modolo brakes, Campy crankset, seatpost and wheels. Cinelli stem and so on. It's going to end up looking the one referenced above.

After it's all together and I ride it for a while, if I like it I'll get the frame repainted and put on the new decals.

Chas.
Reproduction Decals javascript:emoticon(':cry:') 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane