gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » Jay's 1976 TdF - BEFORE Goto page Previous  1, 2
Re: Thanks Jay !! 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
smilingroadrunner wrote:

SO: If you are willing. I would like to believe that many members of this forum are appreciative (????sp) of Chas contributions to this forum.
I certainly would like to " Gift " your prize to Chas. If he is willing to accept this will put a smile on my face this evening and I hope on his also. Very Happy

This is a great place and I always look forward to the help and comraderie we share together.

So Chas in this small way it's my thanks to you and the other members for the knowledge we share and the fun times we have Cool

I Like Steel !!!!!

OK... I have both addresses. The two of you need to decide and let me know if they go to CA or KS. Who can afford the Gift Tax???

Jay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Jay, I don't think Chas is aware of the Banter at this time ---Taxes !!!! just one of the business frustrations that today's ride didn't make go away.
Lets wait to see what our friend in California feels.

My vote is California

C.A.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
smilingroadrunner wrote:

My vote is California
C.A.

you guys gotta decide...Stamps affixed...awaiting reply.

Jay...the Taxing Collector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
If nominated I will not run; if elected I will not serve!

C.A.

You take them. Fair's fair and I have several sets already. They're worth trying on a good derailleur (besides, I don't want Jay nagging me about postage - private joke).

Back in the day, they sold for ~$14.95 which was a lot of money then considering Suntour V derailleurs sold for $7.00! Shocked

Take advantage of Jay's generosity. Bullseye Pulleys are no longer made and they're selling for $25+ on eBay.

I was enjoying pulling Jay's leg. Razz

Jay,

Back in the 70's when I worked at a bike shop. I changed chains every 3000 miles ( about every 3-4 months). Sedis chains only cost me about $5-$6. New Mexico was dry and dusty and chains were cheaper than freewheels.

I put all of those used chains in plastic baggies and saved them. Last year I was having some shifting problems on a bike and it was driving me nuts. I bought one of these Park CC-3 chain checking tools.

Out of curiosity I checked all of the old chains in the box and they were all still good! Shocked

Unfortunately they're all the older style Sedis chains not the Sedis Sport which didn't come along until the 80s.

BTW, The shifting problem was caused by trying to use one of the old Shimano twisted tooth freewheels with a modern chain. I switched to a Suntour FW and that fixed the problem.

FYI: chain history (subjective) Wink

In 1976 Shimano introduced their UniGlide chain which was a drastic improvement over all other bike chains up until then. They had sexy gold link plates and sold for ~$7.00.

By the early 80's Sedis brought out their Sedis Sport chains which shifted slightly better than the Shimano UniGlide chains. The side plates were flat instead of bulged like the UniGlides. They were beveled on the inside of the side plates and they were also beveled at the big ends on the outside.

Jump ahead to the new millennium, SRAM (formerly Sedis and Sachs) introduced the PC-48, PC-58 and PC-68 chains which kicked butt! The difference between them was the VANITY factor. They all worked the same! Confused

Recently SRAM introduced the PC-850 chain which is similar in design to the old Shimano UniGlide chains but has all of the latest tricks.

Notice, no mention of Regina or other Italian chains. IMHO Regina chains offered no improvement over standard Sedis chains from that era and cost a WHOLE lot more, especially the Oro model with the gold link plates. The VANITY factor again! Rolling Eyes

Chas.

Last edited by verktyg on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:55 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:28 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
OK...they're in the mail to you C. A.

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
verktyg
See my previous message for edited chain info.

Chas.
Jay's 1976 TdF - BEFORE 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery