gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Help with '89?? Defi.
Help with '89?? Defi. 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
TriDefi
Hello everyone, I am new to cycling and just purchased this bike! I have been a swimmer for some time and am looking into triathalons, so far I have found cycling to be a great workout and tons of fun.
I got this bike at a garage sale about 6 months ago for $75, I think it is a '89 Defi, but it may be a little newer. I don't know anything about it or the Defi line in general so if anyone knows something about them or what year it is that would be great to know. I checked the "catalogues" on the site so that is the only way I have any clue as to what it is. However the catalogues only go to '88 and this does not match any of them but is very similar to the '88.
I bought it pretty much as-is, I have added the clipless pedals and the tri-bars, the saddle is new also. But other than that it appears to be all original. I also put new tape on the bars and took off the rubber over the brakes, I think it looks nicer.
If anyone has any info on Defi's I would love to know. The frame is made of Vitus 999 tubeing and I believe all the equipment is original. I bought it from an older gentleman who bought it new to get into shape and then had to get a hip replacement and stopped riding. He told me it has just been in his garage the whole time and has very few miles on it (he told me less than 500, but who knows) it still has the original tires even!
I am looking into getting Shimano STI shifters or another kind of "Brifter" and was wondering what that would entail and if anone new how much it would cost. Currently it has a 6-speed freewheel and a 2-speed crank. Also if anyone knows if the Defi's had any trouble spots in the drive train that I may need to replace, the derailers are old and i don't know how they compare?? The tires and wheels are wolber, do I need to replace the tires since they are so old??

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:29 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Congratulations on your new bike. Glad to see the first bike you bought was a Gitane.

The first thing to do with that bike is remove all of the reflectors. Then I would put the hoods back on the brake levers, as you will appreciate it when you are riding regularly. The tires and tubes need to be replaced before you ride it, and if you have no experience as a mechanic, I would have one look over the bike before you find out 25 miles from home that something isn't right!

Regarding the shift levers, I would caution you against going and buying new stuff right away. First, the spacing of the rear dropouts (rear wheel) is different, and so the frame will have to be "adjusted", which involves bending the stays out to fit a wider hub. Second, you will have to replace both derailleurs and the rear wheel. The whole thing...if you go with Shimano 105, which is about the most inexpensive way to go, will cost somewhere around $500+.

The stuff that is on the bike now will last and work well, if it is maintained. The beauty of the old equipment is that it lasted, unlike today's stuff, which is pretty much disposable. And by the way...I own and use both old and new equipment on my bikes, so I am not just being a "grouchy old man" about it....

That is a fine bike which should work well for you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:14 am Reply with quote
lofter
yeah congrats on the gitane, welcome to the forum too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:24 pm Reply with quote
TriDefi
Thanks for the replies! I just got new tubes and tires and put the hoods back on. I also had a mechanic do a tune up and he said it looked great. Thanks for the advice about the upgrades, I'll stick with what I have (bending the frame out seems like the wrong thing to do to such a great bike). As too the reflectors, is it a smart idea to take them off? I don't ride at night but...?? Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
lofter
its your call on the reflectors,i dont on any of my rides ,but then again mine r supposed to be racing bikes .if you like em keep em on if you dont take em off.personal preference

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
TriDefi
What year do you think it is? Also is the defi a entry level bike or is it a little better?
model? year? 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:56 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Congratulations TriDefi! You've discovered yet another missing link in the gitane evolutionary chain.

I have one of the 85/86 Defi's. It's made from Reynolds 453 tubing, is painted silver/grey and has the "spotty" down tube decal with bubble style "cycles gitane". The seat tube decal is the black/yellow "defi"+stripes.

If you look in the catalogue for 87, you'll see it has had a big style change. The "spotty" down tube decal is gone and is replaced with the more modern looking "cycles gitane". The "defi" is gone from the seat tube. The 87 frame is made from Tange tubing.

Your bike seems to be about half way.......
You appear to have the 87 Tange tubing frame.
It also appears to be equipped with the gear from the 87 model. Although the brake levers have been changed to an aero model, and a saddle change too.
The weird bit is the decals. The seat tube decal on your bike is the 85/86 "defi" decal. The down tube is one I've not seen. It has the "spotty" background like the 85/86, but has the font style of the 87 "cycles gitane".

So, you tell me....... what do you want it to be?
Perhaps they had some style changes either before or after the catalogues were printed?

As for the standing of this model? Well, there were usually at least 2 models below the Defi, and about 3 models above it. So, it would be fair to put it in the mid range of the road bikes. I kinda think that the Victoire (model below the Defi) roughly equates to something like the Trek 1000 in today's money. So, maybe the Defi could equate to the Trek 1200????? A basic racer?

Anyone else have an opinion?

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:43 pm Reply with quote
TriDefi

How Interesting! You said that the 85/86 models are made with Reynolds 453 and the 87 with Tange. So what do you make of this sticker, Vitus 999? I like what you did to your Defi! looks like a great touring bike. So I think I'll call mine a 86 1/2 model!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
TriDefi
I just checked the catalogues again and it turns out that the 87 was indead made with Vitus tubeing. so it looks like i have a 87 with wierd stickers that are between 86 and 87.
Tange??? 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Where did I get Tange from??? Must have been on drugs at the time Laughing . You are 100% correct. Vitus tubing for 87.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel
Help with '89?? Defi. 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane