gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » bonjour de france Goto page Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Chas.,
Thanks for thinking of me. I already have a White one. Have it properly refinished in Black or Purple and maybe we can talk. Very Happy

Jay

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Chas.,
To add to the mysteries of Gitane, I just now learned that the Huret 'Honeycomb' rear dropouts were available in Europe in 1974. They didn't show up in USA until 1975. The eBay France TdF (Foil Decals) I have refered to in this post has those, along with components matching the 1974 French Catalog on his Site. The Seller sent me detailed photos. A BARGAIN at the price it sits at now. Too small for me Sad

Jay

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
poufthecascadeur
thanks greyhundguy for the information i keep the ebay ref.,i'm sure that's a good price!!!
i'm still trying to meet the oldman wiht the nice tdf...
and thank you chas for all the details !!!i already knew the global history of 10 speed lightweight in the u.s.a and i understand your interest for the some models of french production...
In france it's actually possible to meet a Bernard Carré abandoned on a pavement (take a look at my last picture in flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/poufthecascadeur/3491892120/in/photostream/),and i personnaly found my follis (full reynolds 531),my gitane,my urago (nervex lugs and with great huret derailleurs and campagnolo high flange hubs)and to peugeot uo8 in the garbage!!!
people didn't care of such great bikes,it's a chance for people like me but the things are changing with a new interest for steel frame (may be the start of fixies in big town like Paris,Lyon,Marseille).
I'm still a racer (in regional and national mtb races and in my team, when i speak about my interest for vintage bike ,guys look at me like i was an ovni!!:"a bike with no carbone frame??!!")
pouf.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
poufthecascadeur
and chas just a precision I DON'T LIKE J.LEWIS Laughing
Pouf.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jerry Lewis 
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
poufthecascadeur wrote:
and chas just a precision I DON'T LIKE J.LEWIS Laughing
Pouf.

Neither do we (or is it oui Laughing )

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
greyhundguy wrote:
Chas.,
To add to the mysteries of Gitane, I just now learned that the Huret 'Honeycomb' rear dropouts were available in Europe in 1974. They didn't show up in USA until 1975. The eBay France TdF (Foil Decals) I have refered to in this post has those, along with components matching the 1974 French Catalog on his Site. The Seller sent me detailed photos...

Jay

Jay,

The first TdFs with Huret 'Honeycomb' dropouts started showing up around mid 1974 along with the limited offering of the other Gitane models with the new decals. The new Interclubs had those Huret dropouts too. They may have been 1975 models but we had a few of them in 1974.

There were still some of the older foil decal TdFs in the pipeline available through Mel Pinto. They were mainly in the less popular 50cm, 62cm and 64cm sizes. We special ordered a few of those bikes for our customers.

At our shop, after 1974 we only brought in a few of the new TdFs and Interclubs because of the lack of availability and high list prices. I think that we ended up selling most of them at our cost to get rid of them.

I don't think that we had any 1975 TdFs or Interclubs because they were the same as the 1974 bikes. We did bring in several 1976 TdFs. They were only available in blue like yours. They were pretty bikes but TOO expensive. I remember that at least one of them had Huret Jubile derailleurs which were very light but flimsy.

Oh and I forgot, some of the 1974 TdFs came with standard Normandy high flange hubs and 27" Michelin Elan clinchers. This was another downgrade as the earlier TdFs had Campy Nuovo Tipo or Normandy Luxe Competition hubs.

Besides starting in 1975 we were importing Andre Bertin bikes and they offered a lot more bang for the buck.

Chas.
29 photos of French bikes 
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:14 am Reply with quote
dan lenik
WOW! Now I know what heaven looks like! And your command of the English language is perfect! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:24 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
pouf.:

Really nice photos! I still race as well here in California (criteriums, because I cannot climb!). The people I race with are the same here. They look at the old bikes in amusement. But I also have a carbon frame (also a Gitane) that I use for my everyday trainer and racer.My old bikes only come out on occasion!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:29 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Also...I just purchased a bike similar to your peugeot phr50. I am looking for the derailleur and shifter (3 speed) to get it back to its original condition. Here is a link to pics of my newest Gitane:
http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=965

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:42 am Reply with quote
poufthecascadeur
stephan i saw your lovely bike,i don't have the same derailleur (except on my phr50 and as you can see on my pictures the shifter is not good) but as i'm still searching for old components in secondhand market may be i'll found another one...in that case i'll send your a mail.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:49 am Reply with quote
poufthecascadeur
thank you dan...yes each time i use one of my vintage bikes it's a great moment of pleasure!! Laughing
but i'm sure that there are much models in paradise (a gitane tdf,a peugeot px10 or a motobécane ,a colnago,an olmo.....) i'm jocking!!!
it needs much money and place!!! Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
lofter
i like jerry lewis! . him and dean were the greatest Cool
bonjour de france 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery