gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 1973 TDF...Born Again
1973 TDF...Born Again 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:55 am Reply with quote
ROC
My winter restoration is over! A new life has been granted to SN 324277. I got the frame in '74, it got painted then & it's been ridden mainly by my wife for over 35 years.
Here's a picture of the urban commuter

The bike now has a hollow shaft compact crank, a 10 speed Ultegra cassette, a large diameter stem & bar, and weighs in at 21.5 lbs like it would have in '73...and no Tubasti!

I strongly recommend to never ever paint or modify an original TDF. In my case I was a logical option considering the history. I spent 3 months part time on it as a hobby project. Many hours of taking off the paint let me examine the lug work maybe a bit too much!
It was a lot of fun knowing I could fit any new style components to the bike, and for sure without decals there would have been no restoration.

I can honestly say that without GitaneUSA, Chas. and others, Cyclomondo, etc. the bike would still be gathering dust in the basement. A big Thanks to all! Long live Gitane!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Richard,

That's a stunning job, it looks terrific. I'm guessing that wet rides are out.

How does it ride?

Thanks for posting the shots.

Tim

Last edited by Gtane on Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:53 am Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
Richard

It's a beautiful color, makes those foil decals look timeless. Did you do the braze-ons? The compact cranks are a nice touch.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
PBR Streetgang
Very nice!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
the70sbike
I think you did an outstanding job! I wouldn't have done it without decals either.
Amazing !!! 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Richard, this is amazing. I think this is the first bike with images of Greg's decal work that I've seen. They look great!!!. Any tips to share about their application.

I've got too many questions, but to start could you share any light on the headset, bottom bracket-crank assy, seatpost. I assume the rear stays were widened. Neat update with modern components, just curious how it was done.

Any possibilty of some closer images of the replacement decals in the future???

I Like Steel !!!!
Re: Amazing !!! 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:29 am Reply with quote
PBR Streetgang
smilingroadrunner wrote:
Richard, this is amazing. I think this is the first bike with images of Greg's decal work that I've seen. They look great!!!. Any tips to share about their application.

I have questions on this as well. His decals come with a warning against wet application. I've often found that the wet application method works quite well and allows one to correct mistakes more easily. I'm leery of using that method in light of his emphatic warning, however.

Can anyone shed light on whether the wet application method will work on his decals?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
ROC
Thanks for all the great support on this overhaul. My neighbour said that unless it's got the original components it will never look right...To each his own. In my case I've never had the whole bike 'cause I bought the frame in '74 after working in a bike store that was going out of business. It was violet, the decals were scratched but the frame size looked right.

So in answer to a few questions...
I have not ridden it on the road yet, I'm in Canada & the temp has been -17F recently with 3 foot piles of snow. 2 more month to go yet.

Decals:
Here are some pics...the first is the original head tube badge which was never removed (plenty of battle scars),

I applied the new decal over it.

The hardest decal to apply is the main foil decal & I saved it for last after I had built up some courage. I adopted my own method for all the decals. I pre cut the backing into two halves before application.
All were applied dry & I would carefully peel off 1/2 of the backing, slit the backing in half then reapply the half backing with a 1/4" gap. Then I would place this modified decal assy on the bike. This allowed me to place the center then gradually peel away each side with out any bubbles.

As for the down tube, In order to align it properly with the tube I projected a line from a tripod that I matched with the red line of the Gitane down tube decal.

As for the head set - it's a stronglight original issue (I think). I used an aluminum 1" to 1 1/8" headset adapter that was easily available. The center bolt pulls on a wedge inside the steerer tube as normal.

The Bottom Bracket was professionally tapped to english threading by a Bike Manufacturer in Montreal (via my local bike shop). Apparently because so many older French Bikes exist in Montreal they commonly retap many French threaded BB's. I don't know why but I wanted to see a hollow crankset in a '73 frame just for the challenge.
The seat post is a kalloy stock post, i settled for 26.0mm because 26.4mm was not available, $20.

The braze ons were professionally done over 30 years ago, that's all I remember. The rear stays were just gently pulled to accept the 130mm hub width at the back. in 10'th gear the chain kisses the chrome a bit.

Good luck in your restorations!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
citternmaker
Beautiful work! Thanks for the additional information, I was wondering how you got that Ultra-Torque BB to mate up with the frame. Smile

BTW, how well does it shift with the modern cassette/derailleur and vintage shifters?

Thanks 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Great work, and many thanks for the tips on the decal applications--I may have one of these projects in the near future---your insights and techniques will be helpful.

C.A.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
ROC
Quote:
BTW, how well does it shift with the modern cassette/derailleur and vintage shifters?

citternmaker...
The rear shifter travels through almost 180 degrees. It will span the 10 speeds with a Shimano 9 speed deraileur (no index shifting but an index type of derailleur). It turned out to be the cheapest/simplest solution for shifting. I tapped the rear Simplex drop out to take a shimano deraileur bolt & gently dremelled a spot for the adjustment screw. I could take a picture if you want.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
citternmaker
Thanks Richard, I'd sure like to see a photo if you get the chance. I'm currently running a customized early 70's Crane rear derailleur on my '72 TdF (thanks to the mounting bolt disintegrating in 1981), but I'm only using a 5 speed freewheel on it at present. I was wondering how well the early campy shifters worked with a setup that required a longer throw than I'm using now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Richard,

The bike looks great, but one thing I don't get. How do you use a 26 mm seat post? Did you shim it? I got a 26.4 mm seat post from my bike shop, but it's not microadjusting, it's just a tube because my saddle has a clamp. But you can get 26.4 microadjusting posts on ebay regularly, at moderate prices.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Richard,

Thanks for the updates and do let us know how the first ride goes when you get a warmer opportunity.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
ROC
Quote:
The bike looks great, but one thing I don't get. How do you use a 26 mm seat post?

The 26.4 seat post is the right one to get. The 26.0 fits in a pinch Wink
As for the rear drop out ear details...Let me repeat that my frame was modified originally with a repaint & braze ons & that I probably would not do this to a mint condition TDF, all that said, here's what I did to enjoy some ease of part replacement...

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane