gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Original Retail pricing
Original Retail pricing 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Does anyone in the group know what the Original Retail was on the 72/73 TdF? I'm thinking I paid in the $200. range. A kingly sum for me in my 70's College days. (ref. Owner Gallery: Jay's 72/73 TdF.....)

Thanks in advance,
Jay

Virginia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
I can't swear that these were MSRP. I purchased my '71 Gitane Interclub in the early summer of '71. My local Schwinn dealer as I recall had the Interclub priced at $180. The TdeF models I believe were in the $250 range (the better value in hindsight for the Reynolds tubing and Stronglight cranks--but I too was entering college and was cash poor). I believe John had the Super Corsa w/o campy brakes in the $375 range.

3 years later in Spring of '74 I purchased my P-13 Paramount with full Campy components for $585. It seems like at the time that I could have purchased the Gitane Super Corsa model with Campy components for Approximately $425 and the Campy brakes as option added another $75-100 to that base price.

I'm still hoping to add a local '71 or '72 model Super Corsa to my Stable--I've been pestering the owner for years---even though he hasn't ridden bikes in years at least it is well taken care of and hopefully one day I'll get a chance to refurbish it along with my other Gitanes.

--If I could only go back to '74.

Prices 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
C.A.

Those prices seem about right. I've been scratching my head trying to remember that far back. Confused

I know that I got my 1972 Gran Sport Deluxe for under $90 and a real steal on a 1971 Super Corsa at the end of 1973 for $150! Very Happy

It had been hanging on the wall at my LBS for several years and it was inventory reduction time. I too was a "starving" student at the time so it was a big chunk out of my pocketbook. I think that I had just gotten some scholarship funds for that semester so I was flush. Cool

Chas.
Product Recommendation 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:20 am Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
A few weeks ago, as I completed refurbishing the Criterium Blue '70 TdeF, I was sharing my bad luck with Chas and he gave me a suggestion for which I wanted to thank him and share with the forum.

I had earlier in the day prepped and glued the new (well aged if you will--as I always have 2-3 sets of tubulars that I keep inventoried in the dry darkness of my basement shop) sew ups for the TdeF. I had taken the bike up the street just on a ride to help seat the rim and tubular glue interface. Probably hadn't gone more than 3-4 blocks when I flicked off a piece of debris from the front wheel---only to realize 2-3 blocks later that the front tire was deflating from a puncture.

I really started the ride with the excitement of planning to pull out the '74 Paramount the next day to compare the ride-handling between the TdeF and the P-13. I ended the ride walking home the 2/3rd-3/4ths of a mile.

I have found over the last 3 weeks (when I could get a ride in around the wet-cold spring here in Kansas) --riding on the clincher wheelset borrowed from the '72 TdeF, that the '70 TdeF is a joy. Possibly just the adrenaline effect of new ride in the stable, but a few weeks have passed and I'm quite impressed with the light -responsiveness, and the handling.

I haven't been on my Paramount yet this season---but I hope to get them both out again this weekend to finally compare.

Sorry---back to the purpose of this post: Anyhow, Chas had recommended a product retailed by TUFO, I had my LBS order the TUFO EXTREME tire sealant and added about a 1/4 to 1/3rd of the bottle per recommendation and pumped up the Front Sew Up. That was 4 days ago and so far not a sign of loss of pressure. (THIS STUFF IS GOING INTO MY SEAT BAG along with the usual spare tubular)

Short of a blow out---I don't know how large of a puncture this may actually seal---but playing around with a few drops on my finger tip it coagulates into a ball of ??? latex rubber plug in about 15-20 seconds--pretty neat stuff and certainly seems to be an initial alternative if one would flat while out on a ride---VS putting on the spare sewup. So maybe others in the forum have had an experience and can relate how large of a puncture that this product may seal. (if even temporarily seal to be able to cripple home from a ride). It was about $15 for the 50ml bottle---probably enough to repair 3-4 road tubulars --maybe 2 MTB tires.

So again, THANKS CHAS!!! for the tip!!! I believe it was worth the wait, and am anxious to see if the tire develops a problem.

I believe that TUFO makes 2 products (one that potentially may be like 'SLIME' that preventively can be added to tire as a puncture sealant) and the EXTREME version for adding after the fact to try to seal a puncture. They probably are meant to be utilized in TUFO tubular road, cyclocross and MTB tires---I would suggest the Vittoria sew-up on my bike probably has a butyl inner tube but the product did seem to work quite effectively.

Sun is coming up and it looks like it is going to be a nice weekend in KS--time to pump up the tubulars on the P-13 and take these bikes for a ride.

I Like Steel !
Tufo Sealant 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Thanks for the Kudos.... Embarassed

I first tried some Tufo sealant last December on some old tubulars that came on a bike that I just received off of eBay. One tire would hold air for several hours the other would start going flat as soon as I stopped pumping. I removed all of the goathead nubs from the tire treads and put in the recommended amount of Tufo sealant. I haven't ridden on those tires yet but it's now almost 5 months and the tires are still holding air from the original post Tufo inflation.

After the first experiment, I tried the sealant in a number of other tires. It doesn't work for pinch flats, cuts over about 0.2mm or sidewall snakebites but it's great for small punctures like those from goatheads or glass shards.

The stuff comes in 2 flavors.... Tufo Tire Sealant Kit with the yellow label for use either before or after a puncture:

....and Tufo Tire Sealant Extreme Kit with the orange label for after the fact repairs:

I've only experimented with the yellow label sealant. I haven't tried it with clinchers yet but it should work on them too.

Here's a link to the Tufo web site:
http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/accessories.php

YMMV but most people on the web have made positive comments about this stuff.

Chas.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Robert B.
Jay,

I only recently added to my WoolJersey album something that addresses your particular question, and this new informational resource may be found using the following link:

http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/broderir/Catalogs-Posters/Gitane/1973-01/

Please note that almost all of the smaller thumbnails are “clickable” so as to bring up an image of larger size, and you will likely need to do this in succession so as to ultimately view a “readable” version.  Also, I should caution that those prices quoted within the 1973 edition of The Complete Buyer’s Guide To Bicycles would have been theoretical national averages, and that as such, individual shops in particular markets may have varied from said norms to a small degree.

Should you be interested in yet further Gitane specific information as I have posted thus far to WoolJersey, you may find same here:

http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/broderir/Catalogs-Posters/Gitane/

Regards,

Neat information 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Thanks Robert for the links, and all the neat catalog - brochure -advertising items. Gives me something to browse thru this evening---wonderful collection.

Wool Jersey Links 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Thanks for sharing all of you great stuff. I'd seen some of your catalogs before on wooljersey.com but you've added a lot of neat items. Cool

Chas.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn
Evil or Very Mad
Chas., All,
Thanks much for all of the additional information. Between all of us, plus Stephan, of course, it would seem that some of an additional segment of Gitane history has been filled in.

I purchased my first Gitane in 1983 (a 1983 Vitus 971 (correctly stickered!)/Speidel SLJ-5500 equipped Supercorsa, therefore am less familiar (not to mention your great technical knowledge)with the earlier models.

Incidently, as a self correction re the Super Vitus T.D.U., since we know that the the 1982 T.D.U. was Super Vitus equipped (and earlier ones Reynolds 531 equipped), I should have said that the Super Vitus velo was phased in at some point between the mid-1970's and 1982. Robert; thanks much for the additional information, as well. Its' a treasure trove.
Best,
Peter H.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
Robert B.
Chas and others,

I must admit that I am TERRIBLY delinquent with respect to just how often I check in here at the GitaneUSA website, despite my long tenured interest and ownership of two marque examples that I have had the great pleasure of riding since the 1970’s - and for this I sincerely apologize. Regarding those vintage cycling resources currently posted within my WoolJersey album, not all of said information may be applicable from a Gitane-centric perspective, however, the following sub-albums may perhaps still be worthy of specific mention to those who might not otherwise be aware of their existence:

http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/broderir/1971-Gitane-SC/

Here you will find a couple of photographs along with an excruciatingly detailed description of the Gitane Super Corsa I have owned since 1978. As I once recounted in another online forum, back in 1971 my very best friend to this day and former riding buddy Steve and I jointly helped his father select the make, model, and specifications for the new bicycle Dr. "S" was going to purchase. Whereas my friend and I had not yet set aside enough lunch money or delivered enough papers or collected enough recyclable bottles from around the neighborhood so as to be able to afford anything beyond a near 40 pound Schwinn Varsity, the dear doctor was in a much better position to obtain a true European lightweight. Of course, as budding enthusiasts, Steve and I were only too eager to offer our opinions on just how he should spend his hard earned monies. Ultimately, we narrowed his purchasing decision down to either a Gitane Super Corsa with the ultra rare for this bike optional Campagnolo Record side pull brake set or a Raleigh Professional Mark II which just so happened to come standard with those same Campy brakes. Due to demand based backlogs in those early Bike Boom days, a down payment was made and BOTH of these bicycles were placed on order during the Spring of 1971 with the understanding that Dr. "S" would complete purchase of which ever one arrived first and the LBS would then sell the other one off from their showroom floor. The Gitane was the first to be delivered in October of 1971 and per his custom order request for "...suitable clincher rims", it came fitted with a set of 700c Rigida double wall Rigi-ALU polished aluminum rims having a hooked bead rim profile. I subsequently had the opportunity to purchase this fine bike from Dr. "S" in 1978 when he opted for a replacement De Rosa (…which he still has to this day but no longer rides at age 80 or thereabouts).

http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/broderir/1973-Gitane-TdF/

This will take you to a singular picture of the rather unusual Gitane Tour de France that I purchased new at the peak of the Bike Boom in 1973 as a replacement for the aforementioned Schwinn boat anchor. Indeed, this is what I refer to as a "Super TdF" edition, which is to say that it is essentially a Super Corsa frameset having Campagnolo 1010 dropouts as opposed to the Simplex fittings typically found on a TdF of this era. For several years I have been PATIENTLY awaiting the day that I could finally assemble a full set of replacement decals so that I might thereafter be able to undertake a proper restoration of this bicycle (...I have on hand genuine NOS factory originals for all but the large seat tube foil sticker and that decal which belongs on the right front fork blade). And now that Greg Softley has been kind enough to craft truly excellent reproductions, I can finally proceed with this project (...once I complete a couple of other ones that are already in progress).

http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/broderir/Catalogs-Posters/

Upon following the link above, you will be presented with a series of sub-albums – almost all of which represent a particular component and/or accessories manufacturer (…yes, there are a couple of exceptions in the form of Gitane and Falcon which are bicycle manufacturers – the former is there because I have a personal interest and affection for same, whereas the latter is simply something that I put together for a particular individual since I had a whole bunch of Falcon information he sought).  Within each of those manufacturer sub-albums, pertinent material is presented in chronological order.  Generally speaking, you will find catalogs, brochures, and technical manuals.  However, in addition to that very type of literature, I also have a fairly extensive collection of vintage magazines and newsletters including Bicycling, Bike World, Bicycle Guide, Bike Tech, Winning, American Bicyclist, Cycling, Shimano World, SunTour Flash News, and Campagnolo Record News to name but a few.  In the process of mining these resources for information, I have been dutifully digitizing much of the advertising content within those various issues for inclusion within their appropriate WoolJersey sub-album.  This is because I believe that there is much historical information to be gleaned from said advertisements and that their appearance within a manufacturer specific collection of literature enhances the overall archival value of the informational grouping.  At this point in time, while I have indeed created literally thousands of digital advertising images, I have decidedly NOT yet uploaded all of those to WoolJersey.  The reason is because it has been my preference to release these by manufacturer whenever I have an opportunity to otherwise upload a significant number of their corollary catalogs and brochures. All of this said, it is VERY important to realize that this digital library of sorts is truly a work in progress to the extent that I have thus far identified and cataloged into my filing cabinets approximately 400 MORE individual pieces of literature - and I still have one rather large box of component and accessory catalogs and brochures yet to be inventoried.

In addition to the various component and/or accessory manufacturer specific sub-albums discussed above, there are also three others that are worthy of mention and these may be found toward the very end of the otherwise alphabetical arrangement.  In the process of digitizing material from the various aforementioned vintage magazines I have ready at my disposal, I have been culling those articles that are most likely to be of interest to other vintage cycling enthusiasts.  Please note that with respect to both Bicycling and Bike World, I spent a considerable amount of time corresponding with agents of Rodale Press so as to secure legitimate internet republication rights under the terms of the "fair use" doctrine inasmuch as they are the current copyright holders with respect to said magazines.  The contents of said magazines that I have chosen to republish have been somewhat arbitrarily categorized by topicality into three different WoolJersey sub-albums:

http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/broderir/Catalogs-Posters/Maintenance-Repair-Manuals/

"Maintenance / Repair / Miscellaneous Technical Information" – this album primarily contains technically oriented articles either detailing the "how to" of proper maintenance or providing descriptive specifics pertinent to vintage components then available at its time of publication.  I have also included copies of the Sutherland’s Handbook For Bicycle Mechanics, volumes 1, 2, and 3 (…although the third is not yet complete at this time and it does include updates through 1985) and these are currently password protected only because I have not yet obtained permission from Sutherland Publishing with respect to web based republication.

http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/broderir/Catalogs-Posters/Road-Tests-Reviews/

"Road Tests / Reviews" – as the title implies, this album chronicles those bicycle road tests and reviews published over the years as well as interviews and articles specific to framebuilders / manufacturers.

http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/broderir/Catalogs-Posters/Trade-Shows-Expos/

"Trade Shows / Expos" – this album contains published reports from the likes of the Paris, Milan, and New York City bicycle shows.  My primary reason for including these accounts is that they serve as an excellent guide to determine exactly when particular items were introduced to the public inasmuch as most of these shows were used to debut new components and ideas.

While I would love to say that I have every issue of Bicycling, Bike World, Bicycle Guide, Bike Tech, Winning, American Bicyclist, and Cycling from the 1960's through 1980's (...although not all of these were being published back as far as the 1960's), that is simply not the case.  My own archives pretty much start in 1970 and run through the latter half of the 1980's with only a smattering of publications dating thereafter.  Despite missing a few issues along the way, I am still left with a pretty fair number of publications from which to ultimately draw upon.  Of course, there were several other fine vintage cycling magazines published both domestically and abroad through the years - and I do not happen to have hardly any copies of those.  With respect to those articles currently found within my WoolJersey albums, as with the component manufacturer catalogs and brochures that I will continue to digitize, my efforts should be considered only a "work in progress".  To this point, I have posted the majority of articles that I happen to have through the year 1979, which leaves me 1980 through 1986 or thereabouts yet to address.

Regards,

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Robert,
Thanks for the links to the TdF info. It would appear that my Gitane came through Mel Pinto to one of the Northern VA Dealers where I purchased it. And, OMG, the $239. sure does ring a strong bell for me. If I had purchased it post-College, I would most likely still have the original reciept and the stem and bars that came with it, in the bottom of a box. Most all of that is gone because of all my moves around Richmond in the '70's.

Incurable collector,
Jay
Virginia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
I feel like a little boy in the toy department.

I just realized I've spent the last 3 hrs more or less ----what a great collection!!!

I've got to get under the basement steps this weekend and dig out all my old Bike World and Bicycling magazine issues. (principally from '72-77)

Thanks Robert for bringing back and jarring some old lost memories.

I like "old" steel !!
T Co. Spokes 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
...and gezzzzzzz, Robert...Torrington Co...my Father was a Research Engineer in the Bearing Division. We had Spokes and bearings all over the place when I was a kid.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn
Evil or Very Mad
Chas., Robert,
Disclaimer!
My abbreviation for the Gitane Tour de France should, obviously, been written as: T.D.F., rather than T.D.U. I must have been thinking about the Tour Down Under.

Next time I probably should get myself "straight" before initiating such a "technical" post! By that I mean about three cans of Old English 800 and shot of Segram's 7. Who can afford that expensive Crown Royale?
Bienvenue,
Peter H.
Sacramento, Ca.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:27 am Reply with quote
J Carter
IIRC I bought my Interclub in the summer of '72 at Mel Pinto's retail store in Falls Church(?), VA. If it wasn't there, I must have made Dad drive down to Georgetown. I paid $175 for it (this may have included the sales tax as I was counting every penny). Came with Sugino cranks & Simplex Delrin derailleurs, but I opted for clinchers and those horrible Rigida rims. At the time I lusted for the TdF, and they had those on sale for $225(+tax) at the time, but I just didn't have the extra cash. The TdF on display came equipped with Huret Jubilee derailleurs. I remember seeing a Campy Super Corsa, too. Drool. Well out of my range and $375 rings a bell.
Original Retail pricing 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane