gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » newbie soon to receive his Gitane steel track bike..
newbie soon to receive his Gitane steel track bike.. 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:36 pm Reply with quote
ti-commuter
Hi folks,

found your excellent website and wanted to share my last find with you.
late 70' track bike,middle of the line (no campy parts) racing blue but missing most of the decals,due to join my stabble around X-mas.

I will be pleased to post pictures,inform you about details and serial number and then show you the finished beast with its cut riser bars,front aerospoke and mountain-bike pedals.....

to be continued,

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote
lofter
welcome ti, will be glad to se it when u get it.
do you know danny noonan? or judge smells?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:28 am Reply with quote
ti-commuter
Hi guys,

soon turned out to a while and both description and buyer a little optimistic.

what i have now is a rideable not very good looking steel track bike which has certainly seen lot of use as a club loaner "corvéable à merci".

it's gitane blue,fork is chrome,only the Reynolds 531 sticker on the DT is left and it badly needs a respray.

original chrome seatpost has been changed for a late eighties cheap alloy one......but finding a period correct one is not an issue.

stem/bar have been changed for some good looking 3TTT track ones(and with the particular 22 mm diameter left intouched),and i would guesstimate them from early eighties...they might stay until i find better.

good point for some original parts left:

-original wheels with HF Maillard 700 "professionel/team issue" hubs and Mavic tubular rims "championnat du monde sur route"

-Stronglight crankset,with the correct 14X125 threading

-Stronglight steel headset

And some mystery serial number,with the BB graved with three lines of numbers,and an even mysterier lone one:

171 8 =>but read upside/down

the questions now are how to present it,resprayed or not,upgraded or not.

shall i reassemble it like this with proper seatpost,cheappo period correct correct sealla italia saddle and track kkt pedals (made in japan but 14X125 as well)?

or shall try a flashier approach,with campy record track pedals,record/nisi wheels and a cinelli unicanitor i have around?

will post pictures as soon as my camera is selfrepaired or replaced....

Guillaume.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:47 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Welcome to the site...I'd like to see the pictures first. Also...seeing as you are so close to Machecoul...perhaps one day you could get some pictures of the Gitane factory for the site???

Another question: Being so close, are there a lot of Gitane bicycles in the area? Would that be a common site in Nantes?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:43 am Reply with quote
ti-commuter
sandranian wrote:
Welcome to the site...I'd like to see the pictures first. Also...seeing as you are so close to Machecoul...perhaps one day you could get some pictures of the Gitane factory for the site???

Another question: Being so close, are there a lot of Gitane bicycles in the area? Would that be a common site in Nantes?

Thanks Stephan,

a visit to the factory may be an option.
In Nantes,much more entry level modern MTB's built in Machecoul Micmo's than any pre 90' high quality Gitane road stuff.

But you can still buy at the factory,quality rejects and unsold bikes from previous years...and price are quite high too Confused

Will post pictures of my track bike soon,have a look at last week commuter(2X10 kms daily)........you guessed right,a Gitane

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Great pic. Any way you can get some detailed pictures of those decals? I believe those were used in the mid to low range bikes in the early 1980's, but we don't really have any pictures of them.

Personally, I am interested in all Gitane produced bikes: High end, low end, whatever. If it was affordable to bring them over to the usa, I would have a stable full of "beater" gitanes! Of course, the high end has its allure as well, but I like the commuter bikes as well.

Being so close to the center of the Gitane universe, I hope you don't get tired of the requests coming from this side of the Atlantic!!!

Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:10 am Reply with quote
ti-commuter
sandranian wrote:
Great pic. Any way you can get some detailed pictures of those decals?
Being so close to the center of the Gitane universe, I hope you don't get tired of the requests coming from this side of the Atlantic!!!

Stephan

Hi,

not tired yet,it's not like you would have requested my guest'room for a 50 persons group willing to watch the St Malo=>Nantes Stage of the 08' TDF Very Happy

here are some pictures of my commuter's decals,BTW will get this evening its lady twin,has Mafac's centerpulls but i don't remenber if decals are the same..... Question

[/url[url=http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1oMROr]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote
lofter
ti-commuter wrote:

not tired yet,it's not like you would have requested my guest'room for a 50 persons group willing to watch the St Malo=>Nantes Stage of the 08' TDF Very Happy

aww, i want to come over too. watch the tour, visit the factory , shop for bikes, couldnt get any better Wink and no ti , i didnt get the modolos , they went for like 87 us dollars.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
lofter wrote:
i didnt get the modolos , they went for like 87 us dollars.

They'll probably be gracing someones wank alter in Japan. Rolling Eyes

I figured out that it's all about bicycle parts bingo. Check out some of the Japanese collector's web sites. They have spaces with "under construction" symbols for items they're missing from their collection. First one to fill the page - BINGO! Confused

A few of the Japanese collectors ride bikes with the items they get off of eBay but for most, the parts will sit in some display case. Mad

Chas.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:04 am Reply with quote
ti-commuter
Hi folks,

got my hands on last week commuter's sister,Machecoul built woman 10 speed,this one is labeled Gitasprint and features Mafac centerpulls.

also got the same woman bike,in a very light green color,labeled Cyrille Guimard.

also got an early Gitane MTb,dating from the days when canti's were horizontal and rims were 1'5 inches wide,in junior women size (24' wheels)

pictures will follow...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Any way you can pick up a 2008 gitane or cycleurope catalogue? Gitane won't send me one....or hasn't after I requested it....

newbie soon to receive his Gitane steel track bike.. 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane