gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Modern Gitane » Buying a new Gitane
Buying a new Gitane 
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Yep...I am doing it again...buying a new Gitane from my "local" Gitane dealer (http://www.derrier.com/derriermotos/), located at the base of the Galibier in France.

Anyhow, I have purchased two Gitanes from Jean-Pierre before, and am happy to be able to buy another from him. I will let you all know how it goes....

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote
lofter
which 1 sandman what model

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:11 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Mach 2000. Will replace the parts with Dura Ace.

2000? 
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:34 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
What's a 2000? We don't have that one here. We have 2400, 2300, 2200. Then it goes down to the 1800. 2400 has Dura Ace 10speed on full carbon and 2300 is Ultegra 10speed on full carbon. Both come in a wide variety of colours as long as it's boring black.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:56 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The 2000 is all carbon fiber. It is available in any color you like, as long as it is black (to steal a Henry Ford saying).

The Gitanes available in Australia are actually made in Taiwan and badged as Gitanes by the company that bought the marketing rights there, Holstar Cycles Pty. Ltd. The bikes sold there are completely different from the bikes sold in Europe by Gitane, which are still made at the Machecoul factory.

I am unsure if the carbon fiber bikes sold as Gitanes in Europe are made in Taiwan or not...chances are, they are, because most of the carbon fiber bikes in the world are made there. Anyhow, point is, the frames and product lines are completely different.

I am buying the bike and stripping the components, adding new Dura Ace throughout. I wanted only the framset, but it seems they won't sell it as a frameset only, which will increase my costs considerably. I am going to save the components and build a bike for my wife, as soon as she is ready to start riding.

Here is a picture of the Mach 2000, available in Europe only:

new gitane 
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
It might be boring old black, but at least it has some half decent decals on it. They look so much better than the decals on the bikes here in Aust. Do you remember the old PDM team? Their kit would have looked pretty smart on board that bike. Sure you dont want to build it up with some nice old super record? No, I thought not. Let us know if it comes with a "made in ......." sticker. I might try to get my hands on a current catalogue and send it to you to compare.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Professionnel
It's coming.... 
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Well, Jean-Pierre in France is the BEST!

He worked it out so that he can sell me the frameset (cadre) only, and my newest Gitane is being shipped from the factory (or at least from Machecoul - see above) this Friday. So, he has save me a bundle by shipping the frameset only, and it is coming quickly! I will post pics as soon as it arrives, and will let you know where they are made.

Sandman's new bike??? 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Is it there yet? Is it there yet?

What are your plans Stephan? You've mentioned the Dura Ace, but what about all the personal stuff? Do you have a favourite set of wheels that Eddy Merckx tripped over on his way to the porta-loo at the national criterium series, or your original "Bernard Hinault" Turbo saddle that you've used on every bike you've owned since 1985, or any other pet loves or hates?

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:46 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Well, after no problems after the first two, it seems that Cycleurope screwed up the shipping address on my bike, which is somewhere in a post office near me, but completely lost!

Needless to say, Jean-Pierre, my dealer in France, is hopping mad. He is taking the folks at cycleurope to task, and will have another one sent out to me post haste. Luckily, while I prepaid for the first two, Jean-Pierre extended me the credit for this one, so I haven't paid anything yet. The way it is paid is that you wire the money directly to an account...no credit cards here...so I am not out any money, but I still don't have my bike!

More later....

IT HAS ARRIVED! 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The new Gitane arrived today...so I rushed home from work to check it out. Here is the skinny.

It is nicer than I expected. The finish work is superb, which raised a bunch of red flags...more on that below. It doesn't use stickers like the last one, but rather actually uses decals which are clear coated over, which what appears to be quality clear coat! The entire frameset is really beautiful, with interesting tube shapes throughout.

There is no "made in" sticker anywhere on it. With the forks, there came an insert with "Advanced Group, Ltd." printed on it. A quick search on the web reveals that "Advanced Group" is a Taiwan OEM that produces carbon bicycles. At the very least, the fork is made in Taiwan. Probably the entire frame as well, judging from the fact that the finish work doesn't appear to have been done by Gitane!

I have to say that the dealer, Jean Pierre of Derrier Loisirs, is really top notch. Great guy who always comes through.

So we will see how it builds...as soon as it is done, I will post some pics.

First Pics 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:53 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Here are some pictures. I need to get a new front derailleur before the bike is complete, but I snapped some pics to show everybody....

If there is anything in specific you want to see, let me know and I will snap and post a picture of it.

front der 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Looks great Stephan. +++++

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Professionnel
Buying a new Gitane 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Modern Gitane