gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Gitane Racing » Good Read: Systeme U rider Wayne Bennington
Good Read: Systeme U rider Wayne Bennington 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Linked here is an interview with former Systeme U/Team Z rider Wayne Bennington. Very sobering account of life after professional bicycle riding. I just wish they had asked a bit more regarding Fignon and Mottet, and the dynamic there....

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=5496&status=True

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 am Reply with quote
lofter
nice read sandman. pascal simon a taxi driver wow. who would have thunk it.
Re: Good Read: Systeme U rider Wayne Bennington 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
Linked here is an interview with former Systeme U/Team Z rider Wayne Bennington. Very sobering account of life after professional bicycle riding. I just wish they had asked a bit more regarding Fignon and Mottet, and the dynamic there....

A friend started racing as a serious armature when he was 14 in the mid 70s. He came up through the Junior ranks with Stetina, LeMond and other stars of the era and was an alternate for the 80s Olympics. He hung up his racing cleats in 1982 when familial pressures intervened - wife and kids.

Because of his racing career he never finished high school and missed all of the normal socialization stuff that comes with public education in the US. It didn't affect him much because he now has a successful manufacturing business and does quite well thank you. The discipline he learned in the peleton has helped him throughout his career.

I got a late start in racing and began riding seriously in 1975 when I was over 30. One of the fellows I rode with was about my age and had aspirations of making the 1976 US Olympic Team. His wife was a nurse and agreed to support their family for a year or so while he pursued his dream. By the end of 1975 the realities of working and trying to finish my education put a damper on my racing aspirations.

Chas.
Good Read: Systeme U rider Wayne Bennington 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Gitane Racing