gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Any help to ID?
Any help to ID? 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:22 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
I bought this one recently. It's a bit battered, but it's a Gitane and I'm a sucker, so what can I say?

I've included some photo's for reference. It's obviously mid 70's. But it's not quite like anything in the catalogues on this site. It's certainly from the lower end of the budget, and has no tubing decals. It is however reasonably light for a cheaper frame. I haven't had a chance to weigh the frame yet, but for reference it is reasonably lighter than my old 56cm Gitane Victoire (basic chrome-moly). Not bad for a 59cm frame. Still, it's not as light as a Reynolds 531. It has the pressed groove in the top of the seat stays like the cheaper bikes of mid-70's, and flat stamped tips front & rear. The colours & decals appear to match the ladies Gran Sport De Luxe in the '75 catalogue. However, this frame has a chrome rear end, a brazed on mount for a rear light on the LS seat stay, and small guides (wiring for lights???) on the stay and under the down tube. The cable stops on the top tube are also of a higher grade than the GS de luxe. It does have a very deep fork rake like the GS. The fork crown is chromed (not a fake cap). Also very similar are the '76 GS and Gitane 600 in appearance, but they too have cheaper cable stops, and no chrome on the rear end. This frame also has no cable stops under the down tube, although it doesn't have braze ons for shifters either. It does have a stop for bracket mounted down tube shifters. Seat tube is 25.8. English thread BB.

It came equipped with Mafac racer centre pull brake (which I think are original). Simplex derailleurs (probably original). Suntour shifters, Shimano 600 crank & BB, Weinmann rims on Shimano hubs (all of which I think to be latter additions). Pivo stem probably original too. Nitto bars, not.

Summary: It appears to be a higher quality frame than a GS or 600, but is definitely lower than an interclub. Does anyone have any info or pics of anything like that? Or info on serial numbers?

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:58 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
That is an interesting bike. Looks to be a mid-range touring bike, which I haven't seen before. Take a look at the French catalogue from 1978 to see if it is in there.

78? 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:26 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Nah, looked and looked and looked.

The closest I can find is the Paris-Nice on page 4 of the '74 catalogue. It's very close....... and there is certainly ample room for those mudguards......

Can anyone help translating the description. I only know a few words of French. Some of it is easy to figure out, like brakes etc but....

NICOLAS, WHERE ARE YOU??????

Perhaps I'm being too fussy, and not accepting that perhaps the bikes brought to Australia may have differed slightly from the catalogues.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote
nicolas
Sorry, I was in a galaxy far, far away...

Translation, boys & girls : (and sorry, but I'm not too good when english becomes technical so here's my buddy : Introducing Robert & Collins dictionnary)

Catalogue 74, page 4, Paris-Nice :
-Luxurious and light equipment
-front and rear forks chromed "italian style"
-handmade
-10 speeds-gears "svelto huret"
-"mafac" racing brakes
-pedal & gear mechanism dural(dural is a type of metal alloy, I think) race type with square fitting of handle (not too sure about that)
-big cheek (don't laugh) hubs "maillard pelissier" with fast locking
-rigid dural "mavic" rims
-tubeless type tyres
-dural racing handlebar
-plastic mudguards "bluemels" & removable lights
-toe clips & racing pump
-sizes 52-54-57-60
-colorama (whatever that is)

taaaalaaa !

Not bad, is it ?

www.greglemondfan.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Nicolas:

Good eye. I think you are right, although the one thing that doesn't match are the cable guides...but then finding ANY Gitane product which matches the catalogue is rare!

Anyhow, I would bet you are right with that ID.... And no, your English translation wasn't bad at all, save the "big cheek" hub reference. Is that butt cheek or face cheek??? Just kidding, of course. In english, they call those "large flange" hubs.
Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
nicolas
Thanks but Paul should get credit for finding the beast...

See you, guys !

www.greglemondfan.com
Big Cheek Gitanes 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:21 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Thanks guys,

I'm not sure what's more fun, owning the bike, or the continuing nonsense that goes on here as a result. When I eventually get it refurbed, I think I'll get a small decal made for the top tube (like where the Pro's have their name) and christen it "Big Cheek". Kinda fits, don't you think? Razz

Idea Miscellaneous Trivia:

Dural is short for duraluminium. I'm not sure whether this is a specific 'blend' of aluminium, of if that's just what it's called in French. In 'American' you pronounce it al-oom-in-um. In 'australian' it's al-you-min-ee-um. I don't know what the brits say, and I don't really care 'cause they ride Raleighs!

The bit about 'italian style' chrome is funny, being a leading French brand. Isn't that a bit like saying, 'here try this chanti style bordeaux'?

I actually thought it interesting that the words used for the 'quick release' mechanism focused on the opposite action - 'fast locking'. Is this what you normally say in French for the lever that holds your wheel on?

And what the hell is colorama?????
Is it related to futurama - a mildly amusing cartoon by the creators of the simpsons?

Or does it mean that you bike will come painted, but we're not sure what colour. (yes, you people from the USA - that IS how you spell colour correctly!!! Do you know how long it takes to 'retrain' Microsoft software to stop 'correcting' proper english???? Wink Arrgghhh!!!!)

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:41 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Right...Paul's find is duly noted.

Just one thing about "Duraluminium": Isn't that what the Hindenburg's frame was made out of? Maybe there is a name for the bike there.....

I wouldn't ride that bike if I were you...at least near New Jersey.

(Trying hard to stretch a joke out of that)

The Gitane Disaster? 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
I'll try to refrain from making any trans-atlantic crossings on this particular bike.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Professionnel
Any help to ID? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane