gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Where to Start?
Where to Start? 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
Samrijk
Ok, so this is my first post here. To provide context, I'm not unfamiliar with the brand, just working on one. I bought an Interclub from my local bike shop in 1973 when I was a teenager. Took me a long time to save up for it and was probably one of the best purchases I ever made up to that point or since. Sadly, like many of these stories it was stolen about 6 years later. Since then, I have seen a few here and there and finally pulled the trigger on buying a Grand Sport De Luxe off of Craig's List that the original owner says he bought in 1972. My question is after cleaning it up of course, what should I look to replace first? I'm pretty sure we are looking at new tires, tubes, brake pads and probably cables w/housings, but after that I'm not sure where to go if I just want it as a daily commuter or exercise bike. Ideas or advice appreciated. Images will be coming once I figure out how to post them. Thanks!

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” - Harlan Ellison
Pictures 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Samrijk

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” - Harlan Ellison

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:59 am Reply with quote
gmany
The first thing to consider is "does it fit well"? If not, then there's no point.

Then ride it a little (not a lot and NOT hard). If you like it, then consider the list below, in descending order of my perceived importance.

1. The only real necessity is to consider the Pivo stem. It is prone to catastrophic failure. Either replace or at least drill the stem as described in the link. It's a similar post where a far more knowledgeable forum member warned of the the problems with the stem:
http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15142&sid=6ac9f6a0de4f156a2c96368e5fbf23f1

2. Tires, tubes

3. Brake pads

4. Rear derailleur - 45 y.o. plastic is prone to failure. A local bike charity probably has a ton of old R.D.'s with claws.

5. Front derailleur - Old plastic, but also an inferior design.

6. Cables

7. Chain

8. Aluminum wheels to replace the steel ones. - It'll stop faster, especially when wet and drop a couple pounds of weight. Probably a donor bike is the best source. I only have it this far down the list because the old ones are not prone to failure and because it may be hard to get vintage aluminum rimmed wheels that are (rather) true.

9. Brakes

10. If clip pedals are important to you then I think your only options are to re-tap the cranks for modern pedals or replace the crank and bottom bracket. Bottom bracket is kinda expensive because it's french threaded and there are not many options threaded to fit. - You might be able get old cottered cranks that'll fit the existing bottom bracket (I'm not sure).

Good luck

Where to Start? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane