gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Front hub bearing size for Normandy hub
Front hub bearing size for Normandy hub 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
MixedupGitane
Hello there,

This is my first post, the newbie, I hope I do it right. I have a blue Gitane mixte. It has been in the family since new. I believe it was purchased in 1970. Use has been nominal over the years, however use has increased over the past five years. Recently, I have had problems with rear derailleur cable and the chain started slipping so, I think it's time for a rebuild. I've successfully rebuilt the rear hub. I plan on rebuilding the front hub, bottom bracket, replace the chain, freewheel, shifter and brake cables. I've hit my first stumbling block.

I have a question about the front hub's ball bearings. I think both front and rear hubs are Normandy. They are original to the bike. I'm sure the bike was an entry level bicycle in its day. The rear hub has normandy stamped on the center of the hub, but the front hub does not. The spoke holes on the front hub are a little bit different from the rear hub. The hardware from both hubs looks like they came from the same manufacturer. Both the front and rear cones are black. I have a picture of the front axle. The front bearing balls are a little smaller than 1/4" and a little larger than 7/32, like maybe 7.5/32? I took a picture of them. The first is 1/4", the second is one from the front hub and the third is 7/32". I'd like to replace the ball bearings but I'm not sure what size to use. There were nine of these balls per side. The cones are good. 10 of the balls are good, 8 have at least a small blemish. Should I just reinstall the old bearings in the front hub?

I attached a few pictures. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Anything.

Normandy Front Hub BBs 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:38 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Ten 3/16 balls per side

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC