gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Gitane Interclub(?) worth the time and effort?
Gitane Interclub(?) worth the time and effort? 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:23 am Reply with quote
Plissken
I have an old Gitane that I bought two summers ago but haven't ridden yet as the tires are flat and the gears are not on it. I have never actually tried to assemble a bike before although I am really warming to the idea of doing some of the work myself. Further, I think its a very nice looking bike. I think its a Gitane Interclub from the 1970's according to the information I found here: http://classicrendezvous.com/France/bicycles/Gitane/gallery.htm. Also, it looks pretty much like this bike (which I found in another thread on this forum): http://postimg.org/image/y9zoa92xf/.

This is what I know about the parts of the bike:
Bar/Stem: Pivo
Brakes: Mafac Racer Luxe
Pedals: Not sure but could look like Lyotards
Rims: Not sure
Derailleurs: Huret (back derailers: Allvit - Huret)
Frame: Not sure but there are stamps on it which read BCM (Bocama?)
Seat: Selle San Marco Tema

I think I "only" need to change the tires, put the gearing on, tighten the brakes and clean it up for it to be in working condition and looking nice.

The question(s) I have is whether or not I should invest the time it takes to do this and to learn how to do it or should I just sell the bike as it is (I know its a very subjective question)? If I choose the latter what would the asking price be? Lastly, is this a Gitane Interclub from the 70's?

Best,
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
gitane15
Hello Dan and welcome to the forum. Your bike does not look like an Interclub. It does not have the honeycomb dropouts, and the cranks are in steel and not alloy Stronglight.

It's a lower-end bike, but looks in very good condition, and is worth keeping it in in my opinion and service it yourself. If you want to upgrade it, you can put better/lighter wheels, like a set of vintage Mavic.

Once you clean it, and add some nice touches like cables, bar tape, and maybe a leather saddle, it will be very attractive and fine to ride.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:09 am Reply with quote
Plissken
Thanks for the reply gitane15. Yes I think I will keep the bike and fix it up myself.

Do you have a suggestion on what saddle to use or what saddle these bikes came with? Do you know approximately how old it is?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
gitane15
The bike is somewhere between 1974 and 1977. The year is sometimes stamped on the components, like the Mafac brakes, the derailleur, or the hubs, although these may have been replaced at some point.

The saddle could be a French Ideale 2002, or finer leather models 80, 88 or 90 for racing, and 92 for touring. Or a British Brooks b17. There are Italian saddles too like San Marco Rolls that I think were found on some Gitanes. This is a personal preference. Many are on offer on eBay, some in very good condition for less than 100 euros.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:36 am Reply with quote
Plissken
Great. Thanks for the help gitane15!
Gitane Interclub(?) worth the time and effort? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane