gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » FS 54cm 1985 Gitane 'Professionnel' Frameset
FS 54cm 1985 Gitane 'Professionnel' Frameset 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
na3s
Hello all, I recently registered here while researching this frameset I picked up a while back. My intent was to build it up for myself, but after much deliberation, have finally come to the conclusion that it's just a touch too small for me.

It's a 54cm 1985 'Professionel' with full Reynolds 531c tubing through out.

It's a beautiful frame with long point, windowed lugs, internal top tube brake routing, smooth sloping fork crown, unique angular Vitus drop outs, and english threads through out.

The Campy BB is complete and spins freely but could stand to be cleaned and re-packed, the Campy headset is missing the top bearings and lock nuts. The cups and races are in good shape, pretty easy to track down new ball bearings and lock nuts. the headset is currently just there to keep the fork and frame conveniently together.

The frame and fork are both straight, free of any damage/dents/dings/cracks/etc, both have some paint chips/scrapes/minor pitting as to be expected from a 30 year old frame. Nothing too drastic, all of the decals are there, a few have some wear and tear.

The original catalog pages with all the geometry and specs can be seen below.

I'm genuinely bummed it isn't a cm or two larger as I wold love to keep it, please let me know if you've any questions, further picture requests, information to add, etc.

SOLD

[/img]

Last edited by na3s on Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn
na3s,
Well, that makes two of us. I always liked this Professionnel as it was a great bike, not priced as a high end velo; about $889.00, as I recall. I should have gotten one in my size ( 58 cm.) when it was available. For those requiring a higher end groupset, this velo was available as a frameset only. See the websight. Riding a later, similar Inter, I thought that, as equipped with its' Victory groupset (no frameset only option in '87) my bike rode really well. Gitane has produced its' share of high end models (team replicas, etc.), but I'll take a model like your 54 cm. Professionnel any day. Someone is going to get a great frameset.
GITREY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
na3s
Peter, thanks for the info, there is surprisingly little out there about these frames, which is really too bad, it's a beauty.

I think it'll build out beautify and should be a great ride for someone.

Drop me a line if you you know anyone in the market...

Thanks!
FS 54cm 1985 Gitane 'Professionnel' Frameset 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane