gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 1993 Team
1993 Team 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
guidogad
Hi,

I have just scored a 90s frameset made from Columbus Genius Razz

The seller puts it as 1993 but we don't seem to have a catalogue reference for that year on this site with quite a gap between 1990 and 1994 in catalogues.

It clearly resembles the frame features of the early 90s Team Replicas with one differentiator between years maybe the internal cable routing with internal cable routing exit positions and reinforcements (or not).

Can anyone positively ID this bike by year and model?

Anything about the colour?

Which teams rode Gitane in 1993?

Many thanks.

[/img]

1975 Olympic (sold in France)
1994 Replica III (sold in France)
Red Color??? 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:24 am Reply with quote
verktyg
The red paint may be a good powder coat job... or it could be original with the Gitane decals removed??? Confused

Here's a link to a discussion of Columbus Genius tubing on Bike Forum:

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/592891-columbus-genius-tubing.html

The frame may be later than 1993 - lugless tig welding with a "unicrown" fork.

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/f1995_pg3.jpg

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:09 am Reply with quote
guidogad
Thanks Chas.

Definitely happy about the tubing. The frame is only 1590g.

As per the catalogue the 1994 Team Replica III and the 1995 Mach 4000 seem to be pretty much the same bike (including the fork). Only difference seems to be the rear exit of the internal brake cable routing (top vs bottom) if I see this correctly in the catalogues.

Not sure about the paint. I thought it might have been original w/o decals but will search for traces of other colour when I get a chance.
Where these frames not available in the full range of colours?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:49 am Reply with quote
guidogad
Found an old topic posted in 2008 "gitane and columbus tubing" which alludes to the stuff I'd like to know w/o quite getting there.

Peter S. Horn wrote:
"The specification sheet for 1991 (unfortuantely, no catalogue was available) indicated a litany of models, the top one being a Columbus EL/Campagnolo C Record Replica 2. This model remained available in the US (in 1992-3 as a frameset only) at least until 1993, according to Torsten. However, it was supplemented (in 1992, if I am not mistaken) by a TIG welded Columbus Genius frameset. The latter eventually replaced the elegant EL. Noting our catalogue section on the indispensable www.gitaneusa.com site, I noted that the Genius bike was, apparently, available, in one iteration or another, until about 1998. FDJ stalwart Frederic Geuesdon won at Roubaix in 1997 on this velo."

Then adding:
"I did recheck some handwritten notes on my 1991 spec. sheet and noted that the EL (introduced into the U.S. market in 1991) was avaiable in the U.S. until 1994. The lugless Genius frame was introduced in 1994 and, as with the EL, was available for that year, approximately one year prior to the time when Gitane ceased operations in the U.S.

The 1991 EL bike was called a Replica ll, at least in the U.S. Although the "Team Colors" were not specified, in my opinion the velo was a replica of a team bike, probably RMO. Except for possible color and trim changes, the 1992-94's were probably, essentially, the same. Personally, I think that both the later EL and Genius bikes (some might carp) should be considered as Team Replicas as the 1991 was meant as such and later noted an RMO Genius steel time trial bike in action in a 1991-92 edition of Velo magazine."

Maybe some (french) catalogues from 1991-3 will eventually surface. Looks like I'll have to wait and see.

In the meantime I'd be tempted to call my frame a 1995 based on the specifics of the internal brake cable routing.
I have also inquired with the seller how he arrived at or knows the quoted 1993 vintage.

So long.

all sorted (in my head) 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:38 am Reply with quote
guidogad
just if anybody is interested:

Both frame and fork have a rather clear stand-alone '94' stamped into them (with a few other codes in proximity).
I take this to be the year. Duh! Replica III.

Colour looks original to me. No traces of any other colour in the typical places anywhere. Condition seems consistent with age.

BTW, the sticker on the seat tube looks just like a Campagnolo sticker (like the one on the head tube) but it is not. It's from a bike shop 'Farges' in Aurillac (Cycles Gitane Aurillac). Still open.
I'd think the bike was bought there (rather than re-painted).

So, I think I now 'know' all I'd like to know about this one.

1993 Team 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane