gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Weinmann 405 Question
Weinmann 405 Question 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
lubiyeh
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and new to vintage Gitanes. My father recently gave me his old bike, which had been stored in the basement without use more or less since the 80s. I believe it is an early 80s Sprint or Criterium. I've been riding it in the city for a little under 2 months now and have been thinking about switching out the Weinmann 405 single pivot brakes. I've been concerned about the limited amount of stopping power I get, as well as how hard I have to squeeze the levers to get that stopping power. The other issue has been getting them to stay centered, which seems to be a problem with these brakes from what I've been able to research about them.

I've been thinking of switching them for a pair Shimano Tiagras(which are dual pivot). I've also been considering keeping them in and replacing the pads with salmon Kool Stops(hopefully helping the stopping issue though not the centering problem). Does anyone have and recommendations for or against either of these options? Also, if I were to just replace the brake inserts or shoes, could anyone recommend which replacements would fit this brake?

(Pictures of the brake: http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=1fa21066-fe99-4b6c-ab73-fde7f8c96cd0&Enum=117)

Justin
Brooklyn, New York
Wienmann 405 Brakes 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I can't speak to the stopping power but there are several inexpensive things that you can do to improve it...

The brake pads are at least 30 years old! They get hard over time.

The first thing is to grind about a millimeter of the hard surface off of the braking faces of the pads with a belt sander or grinding wheel (remove the brake pads and carriers from the calipers and watch so that you don't grind your finger tips).

If that doesn't help, get some Jagwire X-Block replacements. You can get them for ~$10.00 a set.

http://bestdealondeal.com/wp/search-and-buy/

Kool-Stop pads aren't going to stop that much better except in the rain (maybe).

(To all the naysayers - Don't believe everything you think! Paying more for something doesn't always make it better!)

Next, replace all of the brake cables and cable housings with new Teflon lined housing. I grease the cable as I'm assembling them - messy but keeps them running smooth for years. You can find them on eBay for $13.59 a set plus free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251306626488?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=550262993110&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They come in about 8 or 9 colors...

No relation to seller, yada, yada, yada....

Last apply some lubrication to the pivot points on the calipers and work it in. Wipe off the excess. Also lubricate the levers a little.

The reason that I'm suggesting this route rather than dual pivot brakes is that most of the modern brakes are designed to use recessed mounting bolts.

Weinmann 405 "nutted" front brake:

Weinmann 405 "recessed" front brake:

If your frame is made for nutted brakes it can be modified to take recessed brakes but to do it RIGHT takes some work.

Tektro makes some dual pivot brakes with nuts and maybe Cane Creek too.

So my advice i to try to make the Weinmann brakes work better first before spending $50 - $100 on new brakes.

Ride the bike a little more and then decide if you like it enough to upgrade.

Brake pads can make a world of difference!

One last thing, take some fine steel wool or ultra fine light gray Scotch Brite and polish the braking surfaces of the rims to get rid of all of the old
built up brake pad material.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional