gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » (Updated) Mid 70's TDF build - Complete
(Updated) Mid 70's TDF build - Complete 
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:17 am Reply with quote
prof9000
Hello, my name is Arjuna and I'm a new member. I grew up wrenching on bikes but mostly BMX and mountain.

I purchased a mid 70's TDF in France and found a later US model Interclub to use as a donor bike for parts.

My goal is to build a functional exercise/fun bike with a mix of old and new parts. I like to use high end parts whenever possible.

But I'm a little rusty and am having trouble figuring out what will or won't fit from the Interclub.

Some specific questions:

I know the wheels won't fit. I believe the TDF takes 700c's with a 120mm hub. The hubs on the Interclub are Pelissier. I'm probably going to have some wheels built. Would it make sense to use the hubs I have?

What type of rear cluster should I look for and can I use a 6 or 7 speed instead of a 5 speed

Are the chain rings replaceable? And how decent is the crank set?

How good are the derailleurs and could/should I change the shifters to downtube shifters and/or a better brand? Also, will I need a particular hanger for the rear?

I want to put modern brakes on it. Am I good with a set of 2014 Campy Centaurs and what would be a good brake lever to pair with them?

Headset and BB. Any good or should I junk them? If so, what are the sizes I should look for?

Thank you so much for reading my post. Here's a gallery of the two bikes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Update)

Hello everyone,

Bike is complete. It was my first French build and therefore a brutal lesson in patience and perseverance. There was a fair bit of drilling, filing and cursing.

I had to reset and re-tape the bars for the correct fit (grrr) but once I got it dialed in it rides beautifully. So fun to have just 5 speeds on the rear. She climbs like a Billy Goat

http://imgur.com/a/kC3UJ

Last edited by prof9000 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Hi , nice interclub and frame. I would use nothing from the interclub and just use it while slowly building up the TDF. The TDF parts are well documented here and by looking in the catalogs. If you use parts from one on the other I believe you will wind up with two bikes that will be a bit disappointing.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
prof9000
Frenchbuilt wrote:
Hi , nice interclub and frame. I would use nothing from the interclub and just use it while slowly building up the TDF. The TDF parts are well documented here and by looking in the catalogs. If you use parts from one on the other I believe you will wind up with two bikes that will be a bit disappointing.

Thanks. I am riding the Interclub as I build the other but it's too big for me.

I'll donate or sell the Interclub frame and fork and any leftover parts when I'm done.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
gman309905
Wheels, I would look for a good set of alloy wheels, with alloy hubs. Those steel wheels and hubs are heavy.
Freewheel, you might be able to find a six speed freewheel with the same width as a five speed, so unless you feel like spreading the chainstays and seatstays
to accommodate the extra width of a seven speed your stuck with what you have. There are quite a few NOS suntour freewheels to be found on Ebay.
Chainrings, looks like an entry level crankset, you could probably replace the smaller chainring but the larger one looks to be permanent.
Derailleurs are entry level suntour, functional and durable. as for shifter positioning that depends on several things, if you are trying to rebuild to factory specs you would have to find out what originally came on the bike, If your building it to suit yourself place your shifters wherever you are most comfortable using them. The suntour shifters you have work very well, the length gives a little more leverage and makes shifting easier.
Hanger, Your TDF frame already has a derailleur hanger for the rear, you can use most modern derailleurs, Go Campy from the 70's or 80's if you like, I prefer top end suntour.
The only limit on what type of brakes you use is the reach of the calipers. The distance from the center of the brake mount bolt to the center of the sidewall of your rim determines reach, also modern brake calipers with the recessed mounting nuts can be adapted to earlier frames. Levers are up to you, If your using Campy brakes you may want to use Campy levers. Cane Creek makes a nice set of Aero levers for around $35 to $40 bucks.
Headset and bottom bracket, If the races are good , no scoring or bluing I would use them and just install new bearings. Your frames have French threaded bottom brackets and forks and new bottom bracket cups and headsets that are french threaded are not easy to come by. You could check out http://harriscyclery.net/catalog/harris-cyclery-catalog-39/
They carry parts for old French bikes.
Any other questions feel free to ask.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Hi again, this is probably the way your bike was set up "seems" and says all original:

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Velo-Bike-Gitane-Tour-de-France-1974-/231555643068?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_71&hash=item35e9cab6bc

possible variation Stronglight 93 crankset.

this one "seems" fairly original too:

http://www.leboncoin.fr/velos/803618657.htm?ca=12_s
Chas. Breaker of hearts... 
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
prof9000,

Do a search on verktyg and TdF or Tour de France in the Forum to see some of the novellas that I've posted on these bikes...

It looks like a 1974 European model. I've only seen that red-orange color on European bikes.

In 1974 Gitane Pacific took over US import and distribution from Mel Pinto Imports. Those folks didn't have a clue. They were out to make a fast buck on the US Bike Boom that was quickly coming to an end. Their focus was on cheap entry level models some of which came from Japan and Taiwan.

In 1974 the US market was changing from entry level bikes to mid range models. Gitane Pacific offered very little in that price range plus the bikes that they did have were grossly overpriced.

Gitane special built the pre 1974 TdFs imported by Mel Pinto for the US market. Those frames were all Reynolds 531 tubing whereas the TdFs for the European market only had Reynolds 531 in the 3 main tubes.

The few TdFs that Gitane Pacific imported between 1974 and 1975-6 were the "dumbed down" European models.

In 1976 Gitane improved a lot of the features on the TdFs - all Reynolds 531 frames, better components and so on.

Gitane used the Huret "honeycomb" rear dropouts on their performance models from 1974 to 1976-77.

1974-75 TdFs came with either Stronglight 93 cranks (like on the orange bike above) or Sugino Mighty Compe cranks with silver or black chainrings.

They had Simplex Criterium, Huret Challenger or Huret Jubilee derailleurs.

The seats were suede covered cheap plastic with a chrome steel seatpost.

Hubs were Campagnolo Nuovo Tipo with sewups rims or 27" alloy clincher rims.

The headsets were Stronglight P3.

Pedals varied, Lyotard 460D or Atom quill style.

You can find complete cranksets with BBs on eBay.

The newer metric headsets are too tall to fit your frame. They have a 41mm stack height whereas the original Stronglight P3 was 33mm. Metric headsets that will fit your bike are stlll available but your have to search around.

Here's info - read the text below the pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28267220@N05/5241737946/in/set-72157625424641013

As far as the Interclub is concerned, it's a 1973 model from the height of the bike boom.

Most of the French bike manufactures made amateur racing models which were primarily the standard entry level bikes with a few changes: straighter forks, tubular (sewup) rims, sometimes alloy bars, racing freewheels and chainrings plus toeclips and straps.

The Interclub was one of those kind of bikes.

It's in very nice condition and as Frenchbuilt said, I wouldn't cannibalize it.

Two problems:

Some bike shop probably switched out the original sewup wheels for cheap GARBAGE steel rim clincher wheels with GARBAGE Pelissier 3 piece hubs (actually 5 piece hubs).

They were so crappy that we never bothered to service them at our shop back in the day. For $10 or less we could sell them a new wheel with a better quality Normandy hub - installed!

Second, the bike has the 1st generation Sugino Maxy cranks. These were poorly designed and poorly made. There was enough metal to adequately hold the swagged on chain ring to the crank arm. I spun the chainring loose on the first Interclub that I assembled when I took it out for a road test! We had 3-4 Interclubs sitting in the back of the shop waiting for replacement cranks from Gitane. Sugino fixed the problem on the next version Maxi cranks.

Check this out to find out why:

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/947307-non-cottered-steel-cranks.html#post17757050

Now you have the basic, Google is you friend...

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica