gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Mystery Gitane
Mystery Gitane 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Andyrose
Hi all,
I'm Andy R from Boston, I didn't see anything in the stickies about not starting new threads, so here's my bike, maybe you can help me out.
I received this gorgeous bike a few months ago, but it's been difficult to find much information on it. The paint seems to be original as far as I can tell, Campy Athena drivetrain, 105 brakes, 650c front and 700c rear. A friend who is into Gitanes said the lugs look similar to a 1972 he had, but wasn't sure. I looked through your archive of catalogs, but haven't spent much time on it yet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Thanks for posting here and sharing pictures of your bike. Yours is one which falls into one of the gaps in the catalogs we have: It's a circa 1989/90 bike...can't tell what the tubing would be, but it's on the higher end, with Vitus dropouts. Absolutely original paint job there, and appears to be in great shape. Not sure about the parts either. In any case, a very unique bike!

Check out the 1990 "Sprint": Essentially the same frame. http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1990/usa/1990-USA-010.jpg

1987-90 Upper Mid Range Model 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I agree with Stephan, it's probably a 1987-90 upper mid range model.

Shimano brought out 105 Gruppo components in 1987. They were designed to crush the competition and take over the mid range bike market - which the did.

The Shimano 105 components were just under the 600/Ultegra and top of the line DuraAce products and for the most part performed as well or better - for a LOT less money!

The 105 rear derailleurs had a much wider freewheel/cassette capacity than the top 2 models which were designed for racing. I'm running 105 RDs with 30T and 32T rear cogs!

The two-tone paint combo came in a number of versions including yellow/lime green and light blue/dark blue.

The lugs on your bike suggest that it's from the 80s - maybe Bocama Professional Luxe with the B1 cutouts. Can't tell without seeing the head tube lugs.

Gitane started using those lugs in the early 80s:

The tubing could be Vitus, one of the mid range Columbus versions or maybe Reynolds 501.

Anyway, you have a nice bike... Enjoy it.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Andyrose
Great, thanks so much for the replies! I'm glad there's such a dedicated Gitane community here. I'll take some better photos at some point and post it in the owner category.
Mystery Gitane 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane