gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Selling My Gitane...But have some Questions....
Selling My Gitane...But have some Questions.... 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I have decided to sell my Gitane frameset. Since I acquired the 1987, my original one, which has a lot of sentimental value, has become superfluous. I am sure that I will someday regret this, but right now it seems like the right thing to do.

That being said, I wanted to know from some of you what the best thing to do with it was, considering the following:

I purchased the frameset directly from Gitane USA when they were closing up shop (1988). It did not have any stickers, save the "made in France" decal on the seat tube, a French Reynolds 531 sticker on the fork, and an English Reynolds 531 Professional sticker on the downtube. It is French racing blue with Vitus dropouts. It has internally routed brake cable guides, and a number peg. The fork is chrome with Vitus dropouts.

The issue is whether or not it is a 1987 "Inter" or a "Team Pro". I am leaning towards a mis-labeled "Inter" - in other words, instead of putting on a 531c sticker, they put on a 531p. The bike now has a set of reproduction Gitane decals on it.

I am thinking that too much information regarding this fact will drive down the price -- too far, that is. I guess I can just put a good reserve price on the frameset.

What would you folks suggest? Would any of you be interested in the frameset (it is a 54cm c-t-c)? What do you think for a reserve...specially you Lofter, as you are the man regarding ebay prices!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:52 am Reply with quote
lofter
im interested in it . really! pm me sandman . im going to a wine festival this morning and will be back tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Steve,

If it were a little bigger I'd be interested in it too. A 31 1/2" to 32" standover height is about perfect for me. I have a really long torso with short legs, arms and neck. I used to ride a 54cm but I get a lot of neck strain from riding frames smaller than 55-56cm.

I'm not familiar with an Inter model. Are you thinking that it's and Interclub?

All the frames I've seen with braze-ons for numbers were either amateur/pro team bikes or team replicas. Brazing on that number tag is extra work that the French were not likely to do without a reason.

I would call it a "Team Pro or Replica" and explain about the braze-on for numbers.

Chas.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:52 am Reply with quote
lofter
my 87 interclub has a num peg and crome forks.
the top internal routed brake cables says interclub as the team pro in the catalog and the one u just got r bottom tube internally routed. ive seen a couple team pros on euro ebays that were 86's and they had bottom cable routed and were columbus slx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
The early Interclubs from the 1970s were marketed as amature or club racers.

Almost all of the French and some of the British bike makers built low cost racing models. They were usually made of standard tubing with sewups and racing geometry.

I'm not very familiar with Gitanes after the late 70s. Most of what I know about those bikes I learned here.

Chas.

BTW, thanks for the BB cable guide. It came today.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn
Razz
Stephan, Lofter,
On the '87 Interclub; I think that Lofter has it exactly right. Referencing the '87 catalogue, I also note that the braze ons for the cable guides were top routed on the Interclub, bottom routed on the Team Pro.

The former was equipped with a Reynolds 531C frameset, the latter with 531P. Nothing was stated re the dropouts; i.e. Campagnolo or Vitus. My '87 Interclub also came with Vitus dropouts and was mislabled as 531P! My strong impression is that it was a 531C. This should indicate whether Stephan's frame is an Interclub or Team Pro.

Best,
Peter H.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
HowarJK8
the top inside sent brake pedal wires states that interclub because team seasoned from the directory along with the one u simply got 3rd there�s r underside tubing inside sent. ive noticed one or two team positives in pound ebays that have been 86's and in addition they experienced underside cable sent as well as were being columbus slx.

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane