gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » LeMond's TT Bike on Ebay
LeMond's TT Bike on Ebay 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:27 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Check it out before it is gone: Item number: 7224416211.

This is allegedly (but probably so) Greg LeMond's TT bike from the 1983 season. All indications are that it is authentic! Anyhow, it is interesting in that 1983/84 were the seasons that Gitane went away from Reynolds tubing and adopted Columbus tubes for their bikes. This uses "Columbus Air", which was their aero tubing at the time. Very interested, non-lugged, bicycle. The finish as great as well, and was standard Gitane at the time: chrome underneath French Racing Blue. Anybody here have an extra 2K they can loan me for this bike???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Greg-LeMond-Team-Renault-Elf-1983-Campagnolo_W0QQitemZ7224416211QQcategoryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Stephan Andranian
Costa Mesa, CA

Last edited by sandranian on Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roland Dellasanta and Greg Lemond's Gitanes 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:41 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
This was my reply to a question regarding the "Lemond TT Bike" on ebay. Thought I would post it here because it took me a moment to write it, and I figured that someone else may be interested....

Do you know when Roland Dellasanta quit building bikes for Greg? Was it before or after this bike?
It is my understanding that it was as soon as he signed for Gitane. I have had talks with a rider of the era (Roger Young, who is a two time olympian and from a family with deep roots in cycling - he now runs the ADT velodrome) that there was no way that Dellasanta built any of LeMond's Gitanes. In addition, I had the opportunity to examine in detail LeMond's 83 world's Gitane, and can attest to the fact that it is a stock, regular production, bicycle. It isn't any different from other Gitane's of the era.

Roger told me that there would be no way that the premier French team of the time would accept anything but a bicycle built by a Frenchman...or in this case, a French company. Rumor has it that Hinault's mechanic built all of his bicycles, but I think that was after he left Gitane. Even if it wasn't, remember: Hinault was a multiple time tour winner and a French icon in the early 80's. Lemond, on the other hand, was an American prospect, and really got his first big wins in 1983 (World's and Dauphine).

That's my information....so in answer to your question, it was as soon as he went to france, so before this bike, as far as I know....

Stephan Andranian
Costa Mesa, CA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:51 am Reply with quote
lofter
lol ouch !! i took it to 1500.00 but thats all i had. i knew that someone would get me at the wire though. hope it went to a nice home.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote
lofter
ah , the horton collection . it got a good home.
Horton 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:19 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I had the pleasure of having dinner with Mr. Horton when he was in SoCal for the track world cup event. The bicycle could not have gone to a better guy.

Stephan Andranian
Costa Mesa, CA
LeMond's TT Bike on Ebay 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane