gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » help identify please... Goto page Previous  1, 2
Re: tires 
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
txmnjim wrote:
...thanks! i found it is a Trek 700 X 250...

They're 700x25c size tires, very common.

Buy new tubes, they're cheap insurance. The old tubes could be 30+ years old and rubber deteriorates.

Replace the rim strips too.

I like vanhelmont's suggestion about patronizing local bike shops (LBS). It helps keep them in business and there's nothing like hand's on purchasing. You have what you want when you leave... no waiting.

I buy online when I can't find what I want locally or there is a major price difference. $2-$5 is NOT a MAJOR difference.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
txmnjim

not sure if you guys can see what I mean, but this tire has a very strange twist in it (maybe rupture wasn't the best word). thanks for all the info and yes I will shop local if I can. if the new place I heard of (Honest Johns) is close to the online prices I will get them there, but Eriks was way too high. I found some for 15.99 (Continental) at the biketiresdirect site. at that price I can get new tubes too. and I just found out my buddy has a tire tool and we can change it out ourselves Wink
Tire Problem 
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Looks like it's been sitting flat for a long time. Have you tried inflating it just for yuks?

Anyway, it appears the the sidewall is deteriorated. Tires that old should be replaced as a matter of fact along with the tubes.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: Tire Problem 
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
txmnjim
verktyg wrote:
Looks like it's been sitting flat for a long time. Have you tried inflating it just for yuks?

Anyway, it appears the the sidewall is deteriorated. Tires that old should be replaced as a matter of fact along with the tubes.

yes, they have air and are holding it too. but I do plan on changing out
the tires and tubes as well.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
txmnjim
well, finally dropped the bike off to a local shop who said he could put some lesser tires on it and have it all done for $140. debating on whether to spring for new handlebar wraps and a seat Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
gman309905
handlebar wrap and seats are purely a matter of personal taste and comfort, also depends on what your willing to spend. handlebar wrap starts at about $6.00 for the foam tape, gel tape or cork is a little more expensive and leather wraps will cost you $50.00 plus. Same with saddle's, cheap plastic starts at around $10.00 and you can pay upwards of $100.00 for a decent leather saddle. I've tried the $10.00 plastic saddle's, uncomfortable as I've ever ridden. the gel seats aren't bad but my brooks leather saddle is by far the most comfortable I've used.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:37 am Reply with quote
txmnjim
gman309905 wrote:
handlebar wrap and seats are purely a matter of personal taste and comfort, also depends on what your willing to spend. handlebar wrap starts at about $6.00 for the foam tape, gel tape or cork is a little more expensive and leather wraps will cost you $50.00 plus. Same with saddle's, cheap plastic starts at around $10.00 and you can pay upwards of $100.00 for a decent leather saddle. I've tried the $10.00 plastic saddle's, uncomfortable as I've ever ridden. the gel seats aren't bad but my brooks leather saddle is by far the most comfortable I've used.

yes, I think the more prudent thing is to just get it out and start riding. I can wait on the other stuff...all though I may spring for the wraps just because I can see myself goofing it up and it looking like crap! thanks for the info!
saddle 
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
gman309905
By all means, get out and ride. You will quickly discover if you want to keep your present saddle or find something that will suit your particular anatomy

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:10 am Reply with quote
txmnjim
thanks gman!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
txmnjim
well i finally got the bike out of the shop and it rides great! i can tell i will definitely burn some carbs riding this thing. the mechanic said she was a "really nice bike"...now to enjoy the summer Wink
edited to add: this seat has to go! dont think i've ever felt a seat so hard. material must have degenerated over time...anyone recommend a brand that is comfortable and stylish?
help identify please... 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane