gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Tdf/Super Corsa In-progress
Tdf/Super Corsa In-progress 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
unless stated
Need some help with this build, what do ya think? I got more questions to come, but first-

[/img]

Picked this up in November, campy bb and headset included along with bars, stem, and 6 speed sunshine/ukai wheels that are too wide by 6mm. Missing front brake hanger as well. How would you proceed? Any comments are welcome, advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by unless stated on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
to spec. 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Hi, just build it up like in the catalog. Patience and E bay will get you all the correct parts. Not a hard job but maybe a bit $ for some items but worth it in the end.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
unless stated
Yea, been looking around eBay and such, actually found an old gran sport deluxe that I pulled this Suntour spirt fd from. Should I swap the mafac racers over as well? Also been pulling cable clips and a wire guide off this old atala, but would these even fit?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Everything you mentioned should fit. The brakes too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
unless stated
Frenchbuilt wrote:
Everything you mentioned should fit. The brakes too.

Oh nice, even the Atala bits? Alright brakes will do nicely, just ordered a front hanger also. Though I may get some aero levers and leave the bars in tact on the grand sport.

Anyway my main problem is with the rear wheel spacing. I'm not sure if I need a new set of 120mm or bend the frame up some 6-10mm. I'm a bit concerned with the paint, but also there's a lil orange spot of rust right between the bb and chain stay at the intersect. Would this give me issues?

Things I have to work with,
-Superbe Pro rear derailleur.
-130mm Campy Record not yet laced to a mavic sup, can pair with record or 600 front tubular. I also have a 7 speed Suntour freewheel I'd like to keep paired with this. Still, maybe just respacing the hub down a cm would have this figured out?
-126mm ukai/weinnman/sunshine/suzue, light spoke rust and heavy rust on 6 speed Suntour. Not keen on using these wheels, though I did just pick up a single Pasela tire.
-120mm Normandy laced to steel(dots) Rigida rims from the orange de luxe, some 5 speed freewheel but no tool for it. decent shape, but idk maybe I could rim swap these tho ill prolly put them back where they fit before.
-5 speed Suntour with heavy rust, scrubbed off most but inners sound gritty so idk should I bother to continue?
-decent price on set of 120mm fixed Phil/Mavic. rather not go this route, but if I was getting impatient and had some more money then why not buy great looking wheels? hey, these french bikes are almost just asking to be converted..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
unless stated
what are my best options?

oh, and the bike in its current state-

Last edited by unless stated on Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
You can spread the stays a bit but I would not. There are ways to do this but a bit brutal and not worth the effort (my opinion) The Gran sport wheels are heavy and not worth putting on such a nice frame. Get a set of nice aluminum rim wheels with the correct width hub. Everything is a matter of taste since most works. Derailleurs are cheap so why put on a bad piece.
Any modern derailleur wiill fit the campagnolo ends. 5 speeds is enough for the bike (my opinion again) and no spreading is needed.

Check this for hub width information:
http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
unless stated
alright, staying with 120mm. gonna respace my campy record hub but my 5 speed freewheels are just completely rusted over, is there any reason these won't be able to function after I scrub them up?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
They should work. Get rust remover. You may have to disassemble the entire freewheel. It will be a labor-intensive process. It may make sense to just purchase another...but if you enjoy the work, it should all be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
unless stated
hm, well I took a metal brush and wd-40 to it and it's starting to look better. might try disassembling it if it doesn't feel right, but I think this should do for now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
unless stated
so those bars up in that last picture? 3ttt record french stem and 26.0, but the handlebar grip size seems to measure >24.2 so I can't seem to fit any levers. what's the deal with that?

btw, anyone wanna help with the identification of the frame?

also the gran sport de luxe, what's going on with my rear dropout? im not too sure, but is it not supposed to spread that way?
Tdf/Super Corsa In-progress 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane