gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Looking to identify and restore old tdf
Looking to identify and restore old tdf 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
jaytheman
Finally retired and decided to fix up my old 1972 (or 1971 ??) tdf. I rode it a lot in 73-75 but only recently bought tires and decided to get it back on the road. I know nothing about restore/repair so all all advice welcome. Pictures are here: http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2632

Need a rear derailleur cable and housing but not sure where I can get them for starters. I think the cassette and chain are well worn also but not at all sure. In SF Bay Area. Know of a good shop who could help sort me out?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Welcome to the Forum,

Your bike is probably an early 1973 Tour de France.

Reasons:

Sugino Mighty Competition cranks vs. Stronglight 93

Bocama medium point lugs vs. Prugnat long point lugs

Recessed Allen bolt Pivo stem vs. external hex head on expander bolt

Campagnolo Nuovo Tipo hubs vs. Normandy Luxe Competition hubs.

It looks almost all original except for the seat, freewheel (14-28 vs. original 14-26), tires and brake blocks.

Do a search and look for verktyg and Tour de France +TdF to find some old messages that will tell you more about the bike.

It even has the original thick plastic handle bar tape that Gitane put on at the factory.

I'll get back with you later with some suggestion of what your bike needs to get into top condition.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
vanhelmont
I looked first at the "Owner's Gallery," and guessed '72, but I was right about one thing, Chas has more info!

eta: Any bike shop at all will have a derailleur cable and housing, which are pretty generic, at least for older bikes. Chains are also easy to replace. The freewheel, if in fact it is worn out, will be harder to find. What makes you think it's bad?

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:42 am Reply with quote
jaytheman
vanhelmont wrote:
I looked first at the "Owner's Gallery," and guessed '72, but I was right about one thing, Chas has more info!

eta: Any bike shop at all will have a derailleur cable and housing, which are pretty generic, at least for older bikes. Chains are also easy to replace. The freewheel, if in fact it is worn out, will be harder to find. What makes you think it's bad?

Dave

Re. chain/cassette bad. A couple of years ago when getting it ready to ride again, I removed/remounted chain after cleaning. At that point I could not keep gears solidly engaged without clicking and slipping. Talked to a bike shop and they said I have probably remounted the chain in opposite direction and due to wear this indicated cassette and chain bad. I remounted in the opposite direction and it was much better.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
gman309905
I looked at the close up of your freewheel and I don't see any dishing or wear of the gear teeth, I would try a new chain first and see how it does. If it still continues to slip and you want a new freewheel there are quite a few new old stock suntour freewheels available on eBay. I've also seen a few regina's and sach's freewheels. Take your pick.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Wouldn't he need a French thread freewheel? But I agree, chains wear out faster than freewheels, and that's the place to start.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
gman309905
depends on how the freewheel and hub are threaded . The bike was purchased in the US, I'm betting the campy hubs are English threaded. Jay will have to determine how the hub/freewheel are threaded before purchasing another, local bike shop should be able to help him out with this.
Metric Hub Threads 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
gman309905 wrote:
depends on how the freewheel and hub are threaded . The bike was purchased in the US, I'm betting the campy hubs are English threaded. Jay will have to determine how the hub/freewheel are threaded before purchasing another, local bike shop should be able to help him out with this.

Nope, they were almost always French thread until well past the mid 70s when Gitane went back to using Normandy Luxe hubs (even then, they were probably metric threads until the late 70s or early 80s).

An easy way to check, French/metric hubs were 34.7mm (1.366") while English hubs were larger at 34.8mm (1.370") and Italian even bigger at 35mm (1.378").

You can force fit an English or Italian threaded freewheel on a French hub but you will damage the threads. Frequent removable will damage them more.

Here's the fly in the ointment: it looks like jaytheman's bike has a 14-28T Suntour freewheel.

These were available in metric threads but VERY rare.

BTW, TdFs came with 14-24T Atom or Normandy freewheels, occasionally 14-26T freewheels.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: Metric Hub Threads 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote
jaytheman
verktyg wrote:
gman309905 wrote:

Nope, they were almost always French thread until well past the mid 70s when Gitane went back to using Normandy Luxe hubs (even then, they were probably metric threads until the late 70s or early 80s).

An easy way to check, French/metric hubs were 34.7mm (1.366") while English hubs were larger at 34.8mm (1.370") and Italian even bigger at 35mm (1.378").

You can force fit an English or Italian threaded freewheel on a French hub but you will damage the threads. Frequent removable will damage them more.

Here's the fly in the ointment: it looks like jaytheman's bike has a 14-28T Suntour freewheel.

These were available in metric threads but VERY rare.

BTW, TdFs came with 14-24T Atom or Normandy freewheels, occasionally 14-26T freewheels.

Yes, the freewheel is Suntour 14-28t. From advice I am think to try a new chain and see where I am.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
jaytheman wrote:
Yes, the freewheel is Suntour 14-28t. From advice I am think to try a new chain and see where I am.

Look for an SRAM PC830 or preferably a PC850 chain they work great! Cool

Also, go to Park Tool's website at parktool.com and select "Repair Help" .

They have a lot of great info and how-to-do-its.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica