gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Donation Bike (1972 Orange TDF) Goto page Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I would go with italian...Cinelli.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:59 am Reply with quote
SilentGTboy
You wouldn't happen to have a nice Cinelli stem to send to me with that Mafac Racer brakeset you shipping out this way, would ya? Rolling Eyes

By the way, how are the rubber hoods on that set?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:02 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
You bought those? I had no idea...but honestly I didn't look. I don't have a "period correct" stem for you. You will need the old logo Cinelli, which are a bit pricey.

The rubber hoods are in good condition. They are not quite bright white anymore, and the tape left a little bit of residue, but not really anything that would make them look bad. They are very soft, no cracking, have the barrel adjusters...in short, they are in near new condition.

I am mailing those out by this weekend. I have to find a box to put the Mafac box into. All of the parts are inside...so it will be like opening a new mafac racer box right out of the store. The graphics on the box are pretty cool as well....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:21 am Reply with quote
SilentGTboy
They'll have a nice home on an orange Gitane Smile
Thank you very much for the brakeset by the way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:44 pm Reply with quote
SilentGTboy
Cyclart sent me some pictures of a previous Gitane they worked on, decals and everything..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Cycleart does great work...but I have to say that something just doesn't look right about those decals. I am going to have a look at my Gitane tonight to see what's up with that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
SilentGTboy
Well compared to my 72 the fork logo is different and the Service course is as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Ok...there are some problems with the decals, specially the seat tube decal. Notice the difference between the authentic (in picture) and the cycleart one. Crap...they forgot FRANCE!

Also, the fork decal is off:

Which is not to say they don't do a good job. It is just extremely difficult to reproduce these decals accurately...and the smallest problem really shows up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote
SilentGTboy
Yeah, but is France really that important? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:40 am Reply with quote
J Carter
This is some artwork from another decal maker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
J Carter
Here is a pic of the proper TdF fork decal (with only a little missing). This came from Randy Fox:

[/img]

Should be able to turn this into the real McCoy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:17 am Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
Well, I am envious of your orange TdF! Kind of stold my thunder since I also just acquired the same vintage TdF, in more like a gold color. Your bike is so well preserved it makes a fine example for mine to restore. A couple of questions regarding the decals and paint.

Can you clear coat over the original decals and paint to help preserve the decals?

How many color choices were there on the TdF?

I would like to get replacement decals for mine. What is my best choice? It seems like there would be enough interest to produce some sets.

Thanks and again, great bike!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:50 am Reply with quote
SilentGTboy
This is the e-mail I got back from Cyclart about the orange Gitane:

Thank you for writing. CyclArt’s main business is bicycle refinishing. We’ve done thousands of accurate restorations, custom paint jobs & touch ups since 1976 for all types of bikes and all materials; steel, carbon fiber, aluminum & titanium We also offer repairs and modification for steel frames. Need vintage parts? Please see : http://stores.ebay.com/Cyclartist

Turnaround varies with the season and currently we are only about 2-4 weeks instead of our usual 8+ weeks.

We offer 4 different paint levels & price points to suit your needs. All CyclArt finishes include an alignment and crack check, and removal of old finish. Thread masking & Touch up bottle included. Forks priced separately.

Cat 1 is the best, a wet paint finish including an epoxy primer for improved corrosion protection, more beautiful, broader selection of urethane colors, and coats of urethane clear. These wet paint finishes are also tough, have better corrosion protection, have better film thickness control, may be masked around intricate lugs and are safe on all frame materials. Cat. 1 includes additional coats and much more hand sanding which can correct minor pitting or surface defects on rough frames. We strive for the best finish possible, even applying multiple layers of clear over decals then sanding the areas smooth before applying a glass-like final clear. $ 450 frame, $ 65 fork

Cat 2 is as good as or better than the best factory finishes. Same materials, but less cosmetic hand sanding and clearcoats than Cat. 1. $ 375 frame, $ 55 fork

Then you can add options like chrome masking, gold lug lining, decals, etc. We have Gitane decals, see photos attached, $100 includes installation. Orange paint color is no problem. Although the original had no clear over decals, we recommend it for protection and better appearance.

Please see our website: www.cyclart.com and order guide: http://www.cyclart.com/OrderGuide.pdf for detailed information on our services or call me!

We recommend UPS shipping: http://www.cyclart.com/shiptips.html

and require written instructions with a 50 % deposit. Visa, MC, checks or PayPal (account: jim@cyclart.com) accepted. I confirm all details with written estimate via email or fax before we begin work. Return shipping and handling is $55 & we charge $5 waste disposal on each job. All parts must be removed for the paint process. If you cannot remove all the parts, we have the proper tools to do the job & labor charges will apply.

Yours in Cycling,

Susan Cunningham

760-599-1015

Mon. - Fri. 10am - 6 pm Calif. time

CyclArt - 2590 Pioneer Ave. A - Vista - CA - 92081

Vintage parts store: http://stores.ebay.com/Cyclartist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Milremo made a reasonable stem that looked like the Pivo, AVA etc. stems but better made.

Also, the early 3TTT Italian forged stems would be period correct well as a Cinelli 1A stem. The Cinelli 1A stems are always listed on eBay. The 3TTT stems are harder to find.

Get newer bars while you are at it. The 3TTT stems took a 25.8 or 26mm bar and Cinelli stems take a 26.4mm bar.

Chas.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:46 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
Cycleart does great work...but I have to say that something just doesn't look right about those decals. I am going to have a look at my Gitane tonight to see what's up with that.

Steve,

That's one of the problems I have with CycleArt. They take a lot of artistic license with decals and colors plus they tend to use overkill on the clearcoat. I can usually spot a CycleArt restoration from 10 feet away.

Ed Litton up in the Bay Area does a better job of accurate restorations.

The other point is if the owner wants a rider not a wall hanging, a little or lot of "patina" doesn't hurt. Over the years I've found that I don't ride my pretty bikes very often for fear of getting them dinged. He should enjoy riding it for a while and then get it restored.

Last Friday night I finished assembling a 1974 Motobecane Grand Jubile frame that was rescued from a dump. No rust but the paint looked like it had serious road rash on both sides of the bike. A little Testors enamel and voilà. From 10 feet it looks great!

I put some nice miles on it all 3 days over the Labor Day weekend.

Chas.
Donation Bike (1972 Orange TDF) 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane