gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » 1983-84 TDF Goto page Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
superstorm
Like I have said before if you would read clearly, the decal on the non drive train side was damaged and both of them did not match the current replacement decals of yellow with a black boarder. The ones I am commissioning to be built look like the replacement decals and flow with the decal scheme of the bike. But since nobody has them available, I peeled as best I could the original to be copied in the same colors as the current decal set for a uniform look. Hopefully that ends this dilemma of the missing model decal. Confused

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I did read your post "clearly", thank you very much, which is why I am confused:

The decals on the top tube do, in fact, 'match' the black/yellow "bubble" decals that you applied to that bike. In 1983/84, they used the same model identifier on the top tube with those "bubble" decals.

For example, my old (now Lofter's) Gitane Kilo circa 1983/84:
http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/models/track/1984-Gitane-Kilo-track.jpg
http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/models/track/KiloClassic-Gitane-track.jpg

No, they aren't yellow and black, but they are "correct".

Gitane Model Decals 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
The 1983-84 model decals were only on the right side of the top tube.

My 1984? Super Corsa had odd decals and the model decal is on the right side chainstay instead of the top tube.

It came with very pale yellow Gitane "bubble" decals which leads me to believe that the decals were applied here in the US at Trek or at a bike dealer. It may have been a warranty frame that arrived sans decals.

Since it was somewhat of a mystery frame, I installed a set of the bubble decals that I got from cyclomondo on eBay and "made it" a 1984 Super Corsa. Wink

The color is a really muddy blue except in direct sunlight or flash.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:00 am Reply with quote
superstorm
I fully understand both of your points. But I want them in yellow. And yes it had 2. One on each side. And I know that most all of them had just one model identifier on the drive train side mine had 2. Thus the reason for my second post comments on what was offered wasn't exactly what was given. Thanks for your input Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
The SuperStorm
Sorry its been so long between visits!!
This is how the improved TDF decals look on my '83-84 TDF. I tried to keep with the theme of the second gen decal set that Gitane used but bypassing the white drab ones for one that looks better IMHO.

I found a picture of one on ebay that is of the same year. I still don't like the white older decals mixed with the new yellow and black ones. They make the bikes look somehow cheaper because they don't match the color schema of the bikes' graphics. Does that make any sense?

To sandranian:
I am sorry if there was confusion on the whole decal debacle. I hope the pictures spell out what I was trying to accomplish. Peace...

All said, I have truly enjoyed this low mileage steed on many outings. The 'ol girl has a smooth and yet responsive ride. She's a great climber! Not me though! It get a few looks as most of the farts I ride with have carbon Trekkies and more "Your Name Here" branded China junk. Give me steel any day! Thanks all!

1983-84 TDF 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery