gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 1980's gitane randonnee' restoration project
1980's gitane randonnee' restoration project 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:32 am Reply with quote
adam_b83
I bought this bike pretty much as is. I have replaced the chain and plan to give it a bit of a general spruce, re chroming the racks, new matching seats and put some drops at the front because it feels like i'm driving a bus because the bars are so wide!

I'm not sure what year it is from exactly because all the tandems in the catalogue pages have a curving rear seat tube and this one is straight. I need to find a rear seat post with a bit of lay back soon because my poor girlfriend hits her knees on the bars when she pedals sometimes! Maybe we need bars with more rise.

It has a real hodge podge group on it. The cranks are both super maxy tandem, the front mech is shimano, the rear is suntour v g luxe, the front brake is weinnman and the rear is a shimano cantilever. The rims are both velocity and are 700c, pretty sure these are not original! The frame has a few chips and a generally appealing patina but i wont repaint it. Just one new decal for the front seat tube which is pretty worn and a matching suntour front mech too maybe.

It gets ridden when it is sunny, usually to go grab some breakfast/lunch from somewhere nearby. It took a bit of practice getting good at riding the tandem but now we are pretty pro! In a few months i'll post some photos of the completed restoration.

1980's gitane randonnee' restoration project 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane