gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » Gtane's 1988 Replica
Gtane's 1988 Replica 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:51 am Reply with quote
Gtane
This is my 1988 Systeme U Replica built from Reynolds 753r that I purchased in 2004.

The bike was as you see it with the exception of the wheels and tubs, brake cable outers, bottle cages and bar tape. I built the current wheels myself, having sourced the correct rims and hubs. The other items simply needed replacing due to age. I have yet to lay my hands on the correct Wolber tubs so currently have Continental Sprinters. I will be replacing the Continental Sprinters with correct looking tubs having the canvas sides which will be more in keeping with the machine as it would have been.

As far as I can tell, the paint and transfers are totally original.

The cranks are 175mm. The block is a Maillard 7 speed 13-26 and a lot easier than the original spec. 12-18!!

It's a very light, nimble and agile machine to ride and very comfortable too.

The one niggling detail are the gear levers. These are currently Shimano 105 on a Sachs band. Someone, somewhere at sometime decided to saw off the gear lever braze on mounts. One of the mounts may well have broken hence the current set-up. I have the correct levers and mounts to re-braze but have so far held off taking the frame to a 753 level builder as I don't want to damage the original frame transfer from its original state. I've tried to keep the machine as original as possible and use original parts where possible.

Tim

Last edited by Gtane on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Beautiful. I am jealous.

gear lever bosses 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Sadly, the amount of heat required to silver braze some new bosses will destroy paint and decals on both down tube & head tube. It would be a real shame to have to re-paint the whole thing and go with replica decals.

I like Chas' idea to find a Campy band so you can mount the correct period levers. That would be the best option IMO.

But it looks fantastic, nevertheless.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
Gtane
I agree, Chas' idea is the best solution, thanks Chas. I'll begin the hunt for the band and then add the correct levers. You're right Paul, getting a flame anywhere near the frame will take away from its originality and a total respray would be a shame.

The further difficulty, if one was to rebraze the lever mounts is the paint. It's a pearl white metallic.

Thanks very much indeed for your comments and suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
jorgea
That is a nice bike. Do you race with it? If yes, what distances?

Most people who fly want to save when they find cheap flights or try to find cheap flights online. Everyone wants to find cheap airline tickets whenever possible or find cheap airline tickets offline very cheap. People of all walks are searching for cheap air travel discount everywhere they go. Some people would do anything to get cheap air travel discount for a lot less. Some Flyers conduct cheap flight search on a regular basis. Others do cheap flight search less often. Many people who fly try their best to locate cheap airfare deal anywhere while others do less to find cheap airfare deal online or offline. The airlines are constantly offering cheap plane tickets while travel sites also provide cheap plane tickets to the public. Most people overweight want to know how to lose weight fast in order to weight loss in no time they want detox diets for weight loss see theannon. Gamers love playing green grasses in [url=http:/www.flash-games.ws]free online games[/url] count in. His ccancer get the help free flash games bob went downstairs

mercury poisoning treatment mercury detox natural
safe mercury detoxification
lead poisoning antidote treatment
cancer treatment cancer treatments
adult autism treatment autism treatments autism cure autism how to cure autism how to treat autism

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
trois tubes
Absolutely stunning - a refreshing change from all the non-distinct blue bikes out there. Shocked
Gtane's 1988 Replica 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery