gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Red Gitane with Campy - Please ID -
Red Gitane with Campy - Please ID - 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quote
urbanseeds
hello all
I'm Rhino and I'm new to Gitane and road bikes, so please excuse my ignorance. I just picked up two old Gitane that are probably older than I am. I could use some help with information on this bike. I have searched the catalog exstensively and I think it is somewhere between 79-84. This bike looks like a couple of the bikes in the mid 80's but the component group doesn't seem or some other part doesn't seem to match the description. Please help me.

Specs
    frame: stickered Super Vitus 983, Special Double Butted, Chrome Molybdene Steel.
    chrome fork - sitkcered Super Vitus 983
    Cranks - Mistral by Ofmega
    Pedal - Camagnola w/ Campy toe clips stamped Brev Inter - chrome.
    12 speed
    Sprokets - Mistral by Ofmega - stamped 52 & 42
    Front Derail - Campagnola
    Rear Derail - Campagnola Nuova Record
    Hubs- (/
    Brakes - Black Modolo Speedy
    Seat Post - ? stamped Brev dia 26.4
    Seat - black leather - stamped Turbo on rear & Bernard Hinault on nose.
    Stem - stamped 3-ttt
    Bars - drop bars stamped Guidons Philippe, Phillipe, Paris Tour De France D357.
    Headset - stamped Stronglight S(?)(?)DEL
    Brake Levers - stamped Shimano SLR 105 (I wonder if these are original).
    QR - Ofmega
    Wheels - Aspin, Wolber Aspin Super Champion Stickers, Presta Valve
    Tires - Tubular / Sew On
    Weight - 20lbs with house scale

Attached is one picture. I didn't know if it was cool to upload 30+ pictures. Please visit my family website to view all the pictures in detail. www.urbanseeds.us

Thanks for your time guys...rhino

RED GITANE

red gitane 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:01 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Hi red gitane. welcome. red gitane is 84 tour de france. That has to be the easiest ID ever. You can see it in the catalogues section of this site. Yours has had a few bits replaced over the years. The simplex rear derailleur has been replaced with the campy one (a good thing) and the shimano brake levers are not original either. If you want to (semi)restore it, you'll need to get some older non-aero style levers. If not, the shimano's are quite functional and comfortable....

nice bike. looked at your site too. maybe a 74 bike. identical decals to my 74/75 paris-nice - so check those catalogues. pay attention to the cable guides and chrome work etc on the frame, those are the giveaways for ID.

cheers,
wisey

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel
stock parts? 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
urbanseeds
Was the Campy components an option on the TdF in 84? I thought I read somewhere that some of the Gitane's had option to upgrade to Campy? Or do you suspect that all the Campy parts were added after the purchase by the previous owner?

Does anyone have any ideas if the wheels are stock?

I hate to ask this...and truly understand that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Any idea's of a value of this bike.
options.... 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
No idea if there were options packages from gitane itself, but that doesn't stop a shop from offering different options to its customers. Still happens all the time...... (can I have that frame, with a different groupset, and those wheels? Why, sure. No problem, will you be paying with cash or credit card today sir?)

As for price.....

Consider this: a worn but functional campy NR/SR rear derailleur might sell for $15-20 on ebay. One in mint condition may go for $300. If you're lucky enough to come across you dad's old racer still in mint condition then lucky you! If it really does look like a worn 70's or 80's bike, then don't think of it as an addition to your retirement fund.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
urbanseeds
sweet! sounds like these bikes aren't worth much and not real collectible. Looks like I can take off the Campy stuff, toss them in a box and turn this red hot mama into a single speed and terrorize the town.

thanks for the help guys.
fixie 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:41 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Ok, you're right that they're not worth that much, and the list of people who collect them is a very short list, but it still would be a shame to turn the red TdF into a fixie. A cheaper model - sure. But TdF's a harder to come by. Perhaps there is someone on this forum who would want it as is? Or do some sort of trade? Anyone? There have been a few gitane track bikes on ebay if you really want a gitane fixie.... Having said all that - I converted my Paris-Nice to a fixie, but it was nowhere near a nice as your TdF.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:50 am Reply with quote
lofter
just kee p the campy stuff tho usually sells pretty good,ride it as u like . just enjoy it .
Red Gitane with Campy - Please ID - 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane