gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Model identification and BB question Goto page Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
ivosmo
Yeah, this is a grat frame as it can be at any time converted back because all the cables, derailleur, shifters etc. are attached with various clamps - so after removal I could get a nice, clean look and didn't have to cut anything with a grinder. So don't mourn too much, guys Rolling Eyes

I mean - come on. The only thing that really changed is the paint job - which by the way wasn't perfect with all the rusty spots, dings and scratches. I have all the original parts stowed away in a box (just in case I want to convert it to a road bike again in the future) and I really put a lot of time and effort to bring all the parts to their former glory - with a lot of polishing paste and elbow grease.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Gypsy
est vrai que - True enough

You could just call it a really rare model. Slap some decals on it and it could be a 1973 Gitane Piste de France, or a Gitane Piste Off (piste was a track bike ICYDK)... you could let the world know you have an awesome Gitane and have some fun with it.
Cheers

1972 Gitane TdF
1972 Peugeot PX-10 Grand Bois lugs
1970 Peugeot PX-10 Nervex fancy lugs
and a bunch of other bikes that are sweet,
but not FRENCH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:09 am Reply with quote
ivosmo
Another question - any pointer to what kind of tubing was used in TdF bikes back then? Here are the remains of the only decal that would probably contain any info about that (others are exactly the same decals as those http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Gitane-FOIL-decal-sets-complete-3-choices-/260887801841?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cbe1feff1#ht_642wt_1064 )

I think you can see parts of "EYN" in the center - Reynolds maybe? But I can't find any Reynolds decal that would look similar to this one.

I think that after next paint job (which inevitably will take place some time in the future when current one will get too dinged) I will restore the original decals.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Reynolds 531.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
ivosmo
Thanks for your reply. But am I correct that this is the Reynolds sticker? Because none of the 531 decals I found while googling around look similar to this one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:36 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Yep. That's the Reynolds sticker. Your frameset is a "3 Tubes" Reynolds 531 bike. So only the main tubes (top, seat, and downtube) are made of Reynolds 531. It was a more cost effective way to purchase a lightweight racing bike, but did weigh a bit more than a "full 531" bike.

Here is a picture of the decal appropriate for your bike:
[url]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Reynolds-531-mid-70s-French-3-Tubes-Renforces-decal-set-/14/!Bvz87%28gBWk~$%28KGrHqN,!iEEv1+0ECBtBMGHCP7nbw~~_35.JPG[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:13 am Reply with quote
ivosmo
Thank you - again Smile seems I'm lucky because despite it's age the bottom bracket threading is British standard, though it needed little retapping because the threads were slightly damaged.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I had one that was of the same vintage...and English threaded. You just never know! Crazy French bikes!

Model identification and BB question 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane