gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Model identification and BB question Goto page 1, 2  Next
Model identification and BB question 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote
ivosmo
Hello everyone. First off - I tried to identify it myself based on the catalogues available on the Gitane USA website but still I don't have a clue which specific model it is and what's the estimated production year. And any clues regarding the BB threading? French, ISO?

Here are couple photographs:

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
What you have there is a Gitane model "Tour de France", likely from 1972/73, based upon the rear dropout, but perhaps you'll get a more scientific answer from other members of the forum!

I am 95% sure that it will be French threaded, but the only way to know for sure is to check!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
ivosmo
Wow that's a fast answer, thank you.

EDIT: couple additional pieces of information - cranks are made by Nervar, back derailleur is Suntour, seatpost, stem and handlebare are SR (so basically also Suntour ?) and seatpost diameter is 27.2 mm (thought its a rather crude measurement as I don't have a caliper).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I doubt the seatpost is 27.2...likely 26.6, 26.8, or 26.4...but who knows! Gitane is famous for their consistent inconsistency!

Also, regarding the suntour derailleurs, that bike was manufactured during the "bike boom" of the early 1970s. Normally, it would have come with French parts. However, they were having trouble sourcing them because of the high demand, so those might have been used as a stop-gap. There is always the chance that they were added by a dealer as well. Many people weren't huge fans of Simplex "Delrin" (aka PLASTIC!) derailleurs, even though they shifted (when new) probably better than Campagnolo and were lighter to boot.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
It appears to be in fantastic condition, and about my size....hmmmmm.....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote
ivosmo
Regarding the seatpost - yeah, it may be any of the sizes you mentioned - I measured it with just a ruler Smile It's exactly the same as this one (listed as 26.6 mm) http://pedalr.com/items/711

The seat tube is 54 cm (C-C).

Yeah, bike is in pretty good condition. Or maybe "was" because I've already "restored" it and - brace yourself - converted it into fixie and it now looks like this:

I haven't messed with the BB but now I want to improve chainline a bit as it's slightly crooked. So I really hoped it would be English threaded as ISO BB are easier to find...

I tried to keep as much of the original bike as possible - all parts are the original ones except for rear hub and cranks (and of course the software - seat and tyres).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:09 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Can't believe you painted that. Sad Oh well...to each his own. Allow me to mourn for a moment.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
ivosmo
Well I thought it might not be the best idea to reveal here what I've done to this bike Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
You may get crap from people here...take it with a grain of salt! This is one of the friendlier forums, and I aim to keep it that way. I understand that people have different tastes, and as long as you aren't physically mutilating the bike, I (normally) don't have any issue with what you do to it.

It is a bummer though when the original paint job is altered. In some instances, where the finish is beyond help, the new paint job acts to preserve the bike, so it is encouraged. In other cases, people paint bikes to attempt to pass them off for something they are not. Obviously, you are not in the latter category...but merely liked the bike in a different costume! No problem with that...I am just glad you appreciate and ride your Gitane!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
ivosmo
Agreed. After all it's most important that the bike still is being used and valued after all those years instead of ending in a scrapyard. And I really, REALLY like it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
Christophe
I too was close to heart attack when I saw the new paint, but I must admit you did a nice clean job. Still better to know it's being ridden than rusting in some moist garage.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
NO COMMENT

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:10 am Reply with quote
Gypsy
The before is the same paint as my 72 TdF.
The after paint is the same color as an early 70's Stella made Arctic I had when I was a kid. I ride a fixie too, as my quick errand around town bike. It can always be converted back. Enjoy.

1972 Gitane TdF
1972 Peugeot PX-10 Grand Bois lugs
1970 Peugeot PX-10 Nervex fancy lugs
and a bunch of other bikes that are sweet,
but not FRENCH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:30 am Reply with quote
trois tubes
@#*?!!!
Fast and Furious 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
This reminds me of car restoration debates. I have an old Dodge Challenger which I have kept original and its worth more etc. etc. etc. But there are tons of aftermarket products available performance wise and for changing the look and with so many cars still around, who cares if someone wants to modify. I can tell you that medern technology put into a "rustic old Challenger completely transforms the car. Big wheels look great and
some modifications and paint jobs are very well done. Gitane made millions of bikes and you find them in the trash here in France or if not then for €25.

The green looks great and you can always add some little G's here and there. This is the look Gitane should have done at least for one model just to stay with it a little.
Model identification and BB question 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane