gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » Gitane 600 Leger project problem. Help please.
Gitane 600 Leger project problem. Help please. 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:59 pm Reply with quote
madmrpostman
Hello, I recently aquired a Gitane 600 Leger. I didnt know much about the brand so I researched it. Came across this site. I have learned so much and really starting to love old bikes. Im still new. So im trying to make a fixed gear out of my bike ( ill post pic when im done and when I figure out how to do so. lol) I bought some newer Shimano 600 brakes to put on the front when I noticed the wheel size difference. (27inch vs 700c) Brakes are to small to reach braking surface of rim because hole where brake goes into fork doesnt mach up. I hope this is clear. so I was thinking of drilling hole in fork a little lower to work with newer brake or buy a new 700 fork. I really want a newer brake. Is there any hope? Any ideas? Thank you and I really am impressed with this little Gitane comunity.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you've got a little ripper there. Try not to say the word 'fixie' too loudly around here, there are too many purists here (myself included) Laughing.

But hey, it's your bike. Cool

Regarding the brake situation. If you drill another hole in the fork, it is going to be too close to the edge of the fork crown and could break while under brakes causing you to fall. I would personally recommend that you do not do this.

A solution might be Shimano Non-Series Brake Calipers

These calipers have no model designation but are basically the same quality as Ultegra and are what the Pros use in Paris-Roubaix when they need a little more clearance. They are a longer reach and should solve your problem.
Shimano website: http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/nl/index/products/road/non_series/product.-code-BR-R650.-type-.br_road.html

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:53 am Reply with quote
madmrpostman
Thank you very much. I didn't know about that brake. I shined up one of the old "600" brakes and put it on the front and it's growing me. Might go with old brake. It will fit the 700 wheels I will get later. Sorry for writing the "F" word. I've read many forum post on this site am I'm aware of the purest / *ixie differences. I'm not going to hacksaw or grind anything of my frame. I like it just the way it is. Has more soul. Besides I might go back to gears one day. Thanks again. : )
Gitane 600 Leger project problem. Help please. 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery