gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » 1970 Gitane TDF restoration and assembly
1970 Gitane TDF restoration and assembly 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
mcrane
Here is my 1970 Gitane TDF in the process of assembly after powdercoating it. The frame was pretty scratched up and I also wanted to try powdercoating so it made for a great bike to try it out on. The color is a near perfect match to the origional color.

I am re-assembling it and have some of the origional components such as headset, wheels, seatpost, bb and crank and the Mafac competition brakes. It was equipped with Campagnolo Victory deraillers but the rear needs attention so it isn't going back on. I do have an old Campagnolo group but the rear doesn't line up right to the mounting eyelet on the frame without work. So I'll search for Simplex components instead.

Very happy with the decals which I picked up from Cyclomondo. The quality appears first rate and applied without a hitch.

Looking for a straddle cable, has anyone been looking for one? WOW, those are just about impossible to find! I'll scan Ebay from time to time to see if one shows up! Other than that, I'll fit the rest of the components as I find them and hope to have a nice ride by summer.

1977 Peugeot PY10
1965 Peugeot PX10
2000 Bianchi Daytona
1986 Gitane Tandem
1970 Gitane TDF (in process of restoring)
1974 Gitane TDF (frame and fork only)
1986 Ciocc
Re: 1970 Gitane TDF restoration and assembly 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:49 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
mcrane wrote:
Looking for a straddle cable, has anyone been looking for one? WOW, those are just about impossible to find! I'll scan Ebay from time to time to see if one shows up! Other than that, I'll fit the rest of the components as I find them and hope to have a nice ride by summer.

Mike,
The straddle cables seldom turn up on eBay and when they do they are expensive. The last ones sold for $40-$50 pair from a guy that had a small lot of them so be prepared to pay or watch them go to Japan.

Jay

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery