gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Need Help finding correct date for a TdF frame
Need Help finding correct date for a TdF frame 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
citternmaker
I recently pulled my neglected TdF out of storage where it's been for the last 12 years. I'm the 3rd owner of the bike, and am getting ready to repaint the frame, as the previous owner had already stripped the decals, changed the fork, and did a pretty rough job of painting it black.

In stripping the frame here's what I've found out so far: the original color was orange over a white primer, and the rear stays were chromed on both sides about half way from the dropouts (Simplex). The chain-side dropout has an integral frame-mount derailleur hanger that originally held a threaded insert. The cranks are Stronglight 93's, and the brakes (at least the ones I bought it with) are Mafac Competition. Not much else on the bike is likely to be original, but I hoped someone on the forum might know it's approximate age -- my guess is that it was made between 1970 and 1973, but I could be wrong. I haven't found a serial number on it yet, if there is one....

While the bike isn't really anything special in its current state (the frame is too big for me, the original fork is long gone, and it's a Frankenbike of Campy, Sakae, Mafac, Maillard, and Dura Ace components), it still has a lot of sentimental value to me. I practically rode the wheels off of it in the 1980's and 1990's, and used it as my primary transportation in college.

Thanks in advance for any help y'all might be able to offer on the bike's probable build date.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
the70sbike
It sounds like mine. There was a change in decals in about 1974, with a newer style replacing the old foil decals. Here is a photo of mine, estimated (by me) to be a 1973 model. I think the date range for TdF's that look like this can be as old as the late 60's.

If you haven't reviewed the catalogs posted on the Gitane USA site, check them out!

Need Help finding correct date for a TdF frame 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane