gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » A rather nice Gitane Professional, and cheap - what year? Goto page Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:57 am Reply with quote
Barchettaman
Yep, you've seen those pictures on bikeforums - apologies!
7 Speeds 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
re:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/574249-10-speed-126mm-hub?highlight=swapping+freehub

The problem with a lot of these anecdotal reports is that they only deal with:

1. fitting mismatched cassettes and freehubs.

and/or

2. finding derailleur and shifter or brifter combinations that will work with the modifications.

What most of them don't take into consideration is how these modifications will fit on a specific bike!

Also, who knows what works and what works the way it was designed to work? Some folks are less particular about fine tuning than others! Rolling Eyes

Aside from the OLN (Over Lock Nut) measurements of the axle - 120mm, 126mm or 130mm, there are a lot of other variables.

For starters, most frames produced before 7 speed freewheels or freehubs became popular don't have enough clearance between the smallest sprocket and the inside of the seatstay and/or chainstay. Shifting up off of the smallest cog can cause the chain to catch on the frame.

Most later frames have flats formed on the insides of the rear triangle tubes where they join the dropouts for adequate chain clearance.

Next, Shimano through planned obsolescence had so many varieties of hubs and freehub bodies that it's almost impossible to keep track of them. For example, Shimano's first freehubs were available in both 5 speed and 6 speed versions. That was back in the late 70s.

Many people report that all of the freehubs are interchangeable - not true. There are a lot of minor differences from the size of the hole in the dust shield to how far they protrude from the hub body, also how they attach to the hub. Then there is UltraGlide vs. Hyperglide and how the cassettes are locked onto the freehubs.

This site shows 28 different styles of freehubs with pictures, mostly for 8-9-10 speeds plus I compiled a list of another 21 older freehubs with pictures.

http://tinyurl.com/49mjrnc

Another problem is that Shimano used dozens of different dimensions for their hub flange widths and locations. These can determine the distance from the locknut to the smallest flange which if insufficient can cause the chain to drag on the frame or even catch between the cog and the frame.

When I was researching the topic about 5 years ago, it seemed that 7 speed cassettes were only made for MTB hubs with 130mm axles.

Last, some derailleurs designed to work with 5 and 6 speed gearing don't have enough travel to shift 7-8-9-10 speed cassettes without modifications.

BTW, the feature that allows indexing to work smoothly is the floating top derailleur pulley. By moving a small amount side to side the pulley can compensate for inaccurate location of the derailleur body.

I'm index shifting an old SX410 Simplex derailleur with Sach-Huret Rival 8 speed levers. The derailleur has float on the top pulley. The Sachs-Huret are a knockoff of Shimano levers so Shimanos should work with that setup too.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
1985-1986 Gitane Professionnel-CORRECT!! 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
logarto
I had one of these in a 60 cm for a few years. They were finished a little better than the Vitus 980/983 Gran Corsas and Tour De Frances even if the garish decal is an abomination. This was the only Trek Gitane that came with a number tag and 2nd water bottle braze on but as previously posted here it was not the Renault Team Bike at any point.

Too bad that you didn't end up with the 26.4 Victory seatpost?

This is probably the best of the 1980s Gitanes in a large frame size IMO. I had more twitchy bikes to ride Criteriums with but as time went by I sold them off one by one and kept the Professionnel. It just did everything well.

Traded it for a piano that never gets played.
Re: 7 Speeds 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
logarto
verktyg wrote:
This site shows 28 different styles of freehubs with pictures, mostly for 8-9-10 speeds plus I compiled a list of another 21 older freehubs with pictures.

http://tinyurl.com/49mjrnc

Another problem is that Shimano used dozens of different dimensions for their hub flange widths and locations. These can determine the distance from the locknut to the smallest flange which if insufficient can cause the chain to drag on the frame or even catch between the cog and the frame.

The very first ones (which I seem to think were standard spaced six speeds) were extremely quiet in the pawls but the cassette body was press fit into the "Shimano 600" hub and had about a four month half life underneath a serious rider.

I think we are talking 1978, the cogs were Uniglide but a dull anodized black and totally symmetrical spacing on the slots around the cassette body.

Not at all worth refurbishing IMO and it's a freaking miracle that the thing still works after thirty some odd years period. Once you see the thicker tube section on the drive side of the rear hub, then you are in business. (Although this attribute eventually went away on some of the early 2000s Ultegra.)

I was just getting out of the business when Hyperglide came along and didn't really start messsing with until about five years ago. It's delightful how much of that stuff ended up on early 1990s mountain bikes, as a result I just may have enough cogs set aside to last me the rest of my life by now?
The diffinitive treatise on Shimano 7 speed 126mm wide hubs 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
logarto wrote:
I was just getting out of the business when Hyperglide came along and didn't really start messsing with until about five years ago. It's delightful how much of that stuff ended up on early 1990s mountain bikes, as a result I just may have enough cogs set aside to last me the rest of my life by now?

I got out of the retail/wholesale side of cycling in 1979. I was down to 2 bikes when I moved to California in 1980, a MTB and a road bike. I also had boxes full of bike parts and components from 6+ years in the business.

In 1992 I built myself 2 new frames, one for the road, the other for off road. Shimano and Suntour were still duking it out as to whose index shifting system would become the industry standard. That was my first exposure to freehubs, cassettes and such so I went with retro! Cool

I designed the frames around components I had left over from the 70s.

In addition I wanted to be able to interchange the wheels on all of my bikes so the new frames had 120mm wide rear spacing. I used 6 speed narrow freewheels on both of the new 120mm rear wheels (true retro grouch)! Laughing

Jump ahead to 2006, I got back into cycling and collecting bikes again.

I found some NIB (New In Box) Shimano Deore XT MTB hub sets dirt cheap and decided to build some road wheels with them.

They were 126mm wide OLN (Over Lock Nut) and had freehubs made for 6 speed cassettes. Needless to say 6 speed cassettes by then were just about impossible to find, especially in the 13-28T sprockets I wanted. That's where my research on Shimano cassette hubs got started.

NIB Shimano Deore XT hubs.

The workmanship on these hubs is like jewelry!

Several problems came up after I built the 126mm wide rear wheel. The freehub was 29mm wide and would only take a 6 speed cassette which were not readily available. The freehub was made for Uniglide cassettes with a screw on small cog. Simple solution, replace the freehub with a wider one and use a 7 speed cassette!

As I said in a previous post Shimano used a lot of different widths between the hub flanges? Well there wasn't enough room on the axle to change freehubs without respacing it. That would have resulted in a severely dished wheel (and a lot of additional work).

After a lot of research on what was available in Shimano freehubs and cassettes I came up with a solution. I found a NOS 7 speed Hyperglide cassette with the 13-28 gearing that I wanted.

I disassembled the 7 speed cassette and replaced the 3.15mm+ wide spacers with 3mm wide ones for an 8 speed cassette. In addition I had .5mm ground off of a screw on 13T Ultraglide sprocket. It works like a charm with 8 speed index levers! Wink

Shimano 6 speed cassettes are ~29mm wide, 7 speed are ~32mm wide and the 8-9-10 speed cassettes are ~35.5mm wide.

This Shimano 600 freehub is 30mm wide with 1 mm a spacer so it will probably work with a 6 speed cassette, maybe a 7 speed depending of whether it's a Uniglide or Hyperglide.

This freehub is 31mm wide and came off of a 126mm hub.

Here's a Shimano Ultegra hub made for 8-9-10 speed cassettes.

Getting back to the original topic, 126mm wide 7 speed hubs, More Mustard Please!

CORRECTION

The first set of pictures are of a Shimano MF-7400 7 speed DuraAce freewheel not a cassette. I couldn't see the removal splines until I enlarged the picture... It is 7 speed on 126mm but... Oh well.

The axle has to be removed to remove the freewheel.

http://www.bikepro.com/products/freewheels/shimfw.html

Disregard the info about the next 3 pictures: I started looking around my old wheels and found this early Shimano DuraAce hub with a 7 speed twist tooth Uniglide cassette with a 126mm wide axle! This wheel came on a bike that I bought a while back. I switched the wheels out and set the old ones aside.

This is one of the early DuraAce 6 speed cassette freehubs.

Here's a 7 speed Hyperglide cassette on a 130mm Shimano Deore XT hub. It's a MTB wheel and why I'd come to the conclusion about 7 speed cassettes and 130mm hubs.

So 7 speed indexing cassette hubs were available for 126mm wide hubs but maybe not as common as 7 speed freewheels. That was probably before the late 80s when road bikes started shifting over to 130mm wide spacing.

I have two 1988 "P" word bikes. The both have 126mm wide dropouts and 6 speed cogs. One has a freewheel the a cassette!

That "all Shimano freehubs are interchangeable", even Saint Sheldon got that one wrong.

Getting back to the Gitane Topic, here's some pictures my 1984 Gitane Super Corsa. I spread the dropouts to 130mm so that I could used a Shimano 8 speed rear wheel that I had.

That's a Simplex SX610 rear derailleur. With some light file work on the travel limit stops I was able to get it to cover the full width of the 8 speed cassette.

By accident I discovered that these Sachs-Huret Rival 8 speed shift levers index perfect with the Simplex SX610. It has some side to side float in the top pulley and that's what allows indexing to work easy. Cool

BTW, Looking around, I found several bikes that forgot about that I had put Suntour "Ultra 7" narrow 7 speed freewheels on 126mm hubs but they weren't designed for index shifting.

Le pied dans la bouche... Laughing

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Addendum of 7 speed 126mm Shimano Cassettes 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Some new info that I came across...

7 of 9

7 on 6

This is the 7 sprocket Hyperglide cassette that I modified with 3mm 8 speed spacers to fit on a 29mm wide 6 speed freehub. I used a screw on 13T Ultraglide twist tooth small sprocket.

Here's a bit of information recently posted on another Forum. The poster was a mechanic who worked at the shop that handled the bikes for the Levi's Pro/Am US teams back in the mid 80s.

"If you wanted, you could substitute 7-speed DuraAce cogs/spacers and swap the shift lever guts and still fit within the rear 126mm rear spacing.

7-speed [Shimano Cassettes] came out in 1986 for sponsored teams and were still Uniglide cogs with 126mm rear freehubs. Later, 8-speed brought the move to 130mm spacing in rear hubs..."

These were 126mm wide freehubs probably the 30mm or 31mm wide 6 speed freehubs???

Uniglide vs Hyperglide from Sheldon (RIP) Brown's web site:

Uniglide sprockets had "twisted" teeth for easier shifting. They were reversible so you could use both sides of the sprockets.

Hyperglide sprockets had ramps stamped into the teeth for much easier shifting.

Uniglide vs Hyperglide freehubs.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Post subject: Addendum of 7 speed 126mm Shimano Cassettes 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:20 am Reply with quote
logarto
Now you have me thinking that I could maybe build up a 6 dished for 5 Hyperglide for 126 over locknut spacing if I just took a full inventory of all the stuff I have laying around here? That's about the only reason that I run threaded stuff at all any longer and the SunTour Ultra 6s are distinctly inferior when it comes to shifting. I'd even settle for Uniglide.

I takes a monster allen wrench to get the freehubs off, right?

A former NORBA Pro also raved about the De Ore XT Hyperglide hub when I was trying to dump a cheap seven speed replacement MTB wheel on him. Fortunately he chose the DeOre LX because he liked the rim better. I thought it was just about the polish at the time but the service life that I'm getting out of first generation 8 speed Ultegra (aka "Shimano 600") leads me to believe that this era was a bit special in that regard.
Re: Post subject: Addendum of 7 speed 126mm Shimano Cassette 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
verktyg
logarto wrote:
Now you have me thinking that I could maybe build up a 6 dished for 5 Hyperglide for 126 over locknut spacing if I just took a full inventory of all the stuff I have laying around here? That's about the only reason that I run threaded stuff at all any longer and the SunTour Ultra 6s are distinctly inferior when it comes to shifting. I'd even settle for Uniglide.

I have a bunch of Ultra 6 and Ultra 7 freewheels and I've never had a problem with them. I run the SRAM 6-7-8 speed chains. The current ones are the PC830, 850, 870 series. They're made like the old Uniglide chains from the 70s with the bulged side plates.

logarto wrote:
I takes a monster allen wrench to get the freehubs off, right?

10mm, it's easiest with the hub in a wheel.

logarto wrote:
A former NORBA Pro also raved about the De Ore XT Hyperglide hub when I was trying to dump a cheap seven speed replacement MTB wheel on him. Fortunately he chose the DeOre LX because he liked the rim better. I thought it was just about the polish at the time but the service life that I'm getting out of first generation 8 speed Ultegra (aka "Shimano 600") leads me to believe that this era was a bit special in that regard.

I prefer the Shimano components from the mid to late 80s. Their quality is unmatched, especially when compared to Campy equivalents from that era. The Deore XT, LX, 600, 600 Ultegra and even the first generation 105 stuff is hard to beat!

Much of the used DuraAce stuff was ridden hard and is usually pretty beat.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
A rather nice Gitane Professional, and cheap - what year? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane