gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Modern Gitane » Gitane's New Bikes: Best in the World!
Gitane's New Bikes: Best in the World! 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:51 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Have I sung the praises of Gitane's new Definitive "The One" ISP? No? Well let me:

The bike is absolutely FANTASTIC. It handles like a dream. I still don't think I have truly reached the limit of its turning capability, which is awesome: It goes through corners at speed like nothing I have ever ridden, really stable while aggressive.

Weight wise it isn't the lightest, but certainly light enough to compete with any other bike out there.

Styling: Incomparable. It gets all kinds of compliments and has enough bells and whistles to make it truly unique (or...definitive).

On the flats: Fast and heck...and responsive/stiff in the sprint. I recommend picking one up.

Oh...and did I mention affordable? While most top of the line frames today will set you back approx. 3-4K, the Gitane frameset sells for around 2K (1999euro, minus the VAT tax of 20%).

Just outstanding!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
What do I have to do Sandman? Send you a blinkin' camera???!!!

PHOTOS, PHOTOS, PHOTOS!!!!!! Laughing

The pics of you racing were pretty cool, but I'd still like to see some close up shots of your bike, especially all the detail we don't see in the catalogues.

While you're at it, why don't you write us a nice review of the bike? From build up through to ride. That would be a nice addition to the catlogues etc.

Perhaps we could get Chas to do the same for a 1968 TdF. I'm sure he remembers all the details from the first one he built up back then..... Twisted Evil

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I am getting another surprise from Gitane...now scheduled for mid-February. Pics will follow.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:02 am Reply with quote
David Marshall
I picked one up, well not the ISP, but the standard The One one - have fitted it out, but having dramas with the seat post clamp? Any tips?

Davo in NQ Aust

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:09 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
What is the problem?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
David Marshall
Thanks for the response. When I have the seat sized and the seat post securely fastened to 7-8 Nm (standard torque setting), the seat will still slip down in the seat tube under my weight. I have 52 cm frame. I am not overly keen to tighten it any more for fear of breaking the seat tube/post. Gitane in France have suggested using an anti-slip paste or a product called SINTOFER which appears to be some sort of mastic polymer. I am hesitant to 'glue' anything because as I become more used the frame, I would like the ability to adjust measurements, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
You didn't grease the seatpost, did you?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
G'day Davo. Wink

This is an ongoing problem with carbon frames & carbon seat posts, especially shaped (non-round) seat posts. The clamps on the round ones provide a far more even amount of force around the circumference of the post but even they slip sometimes.

I think the paste that they are referring to is one of the anti-slip carbon pastes that are available readily. It is not a glue or bonding agent. Basically it is a bunch of very small beads suspended in a paste that provides more friction between the two parts (seat post and seat tube). This usually solves the problem. You should be able to get this from your LBS or online.

Also check that your torque wrench is calibrated.

Sometimes the slipping is caused by a highly polished clear coat on the seat post. I have head of people rubbing that back a little with a scotch brite to give it more of a matt surface, but that would be an absolute last resort and you would need to be very careful not to remove too much material and decrease the size of the seat post.

Best of luck.

Wisey - in Bris-Vegas

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote
David Marshall
No I didn't grease the seat post - good tip for young players. Wisey, thanks for the info and the background. Torque wrench is ok, recently calibrated. It was just disappointing to get caught out like this. I will get some of the paste and hopefully, the locals of the Townsville will terrorised by The One cruising the streets real soon. I will keep you posted on how I go.

Davo Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Post pics.

Gitane's New Bikes: Best in the World! 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Modern Gitane