gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » 70's Apache Standard-My first!!
70's Apache Standard-My first!! 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:02 am Reply with quote
sweetjayne
Hi everyone. I'm 28, a student and completely new to road bikes. I stumbled across this site while trying to find some information on my newly purchased Gitane Apache Standard. Truth be told, I didn't even have a clue what Gitane was when I found my bike for sale. I was just keeping an eye on the local classifieds for a road bike that struck my fancy, as I have been wanting to try something other than mountain biking for a while. I instantly fell in love with this bike!

The bike has been kept in an elderly couple's garage for the past 30 years (unridden). They don't seem to remember much, but they say that it is original. I plan on riding it, but I don't want to desecrate it in the process of tuning it up. I pick the bike up on Friday, but I have a few pictures. Please let me know what you think!

Thanks! Wink
Jayne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
scozim
That Gitane is in amazing condition for it's age!! I love those blue fenders - perfect for B.C. weather. The wheels look like steel which could mean some hair raising braking on wet days plus some additional weight. I would look at eventually going to alloy 27" wheels.

Nice find.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Really nice bike!

One suggestion for you before you kill yourself on it though: Switch out that saddle for something more comfortable. I would recommend Brooks, but it might be kind of pricey. the problem with those saddles are that they truly are....

ASS HATCHETS.

With a saddle replacement, you'll end up loving the bike more. Everything else...keep the same!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
sweetjayne
I appreciate the insight! I don't plan on changing out very much, unless need be. Whatever I take off, I'll keep in storage. On my student salary of nothing, I think I'll be taking it slowly. Smile

Being that I don't know these bikes at all, I'm wondering if I over paid? I purchased the bike for $150 Canadian. What do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
scozim
I don't think the price is out of line for the condition of the bike. You're going to have some of the quirky French things to deal with - but that's manageable.

Have the owners had any work done on the bike. The tires look to be in good shape in the photos. If they haven't the first line of work should be going through the bearings and making everything there is ok.

The bike looks like it has cottered cranks which means a cotter press would be ideal in removing them. I've had luck with a hammer in getting the cotters out and I've had tragedy with a hammer. A c-clamp might work as a modified cotter press.

Next go through the derailleurs closely. I have a front derailleur one like yours on one of my French biks and the plastic is cracked. However, the derailleur is still functional. The rear derailleur may eventually develop issues with the plastic because of their age. Replacing it with a Suntour derailleur (or another make) was common by a lot of owners.

You may want to look into bike shops in the area that might have some vintage experience or, at the very least, look for co-ops where you can pay a little for some space and have volunteers there to help you out.

Treated correctly that bike could give you many years of pleasant riding.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:43 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
You didn't overpay for that. It's a fair price for that bike, if not a little low.

70's Apache Standard-My first!! 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery