gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » Super Corsa - 'To sell or not to sell'
Super Corsa - 'To sell or not to sell' 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Judge
Hello All - I just ran across this site today.

I have a Gitane Super Corsa that I was thinking about converting into a single speed and modernizing it in the process (powder coating it w/ a new color etc).

Obviously - there are some really passionate Gitane folks in this forum and before I dive into this project and change this bike drastically it occurred to me that someone might want to buy it and preserve it.

I received the bike from a good friend of my dads who road it once and garaged it thereafter (30 years!). I road it for 2 years and loved it which prompted me to get my first new road bike.

Please let me know if there is any interest because otherwise I want to start the conversion!

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
For starters, the fixie fad has pretty much run it's course.

What you have is 1973 or very early 1974 Gitane Tour de France not a Super Corsa. Super Corsa bikes had all Campy Nuovo Record components except for the brakes which were usually MAFAC.

Contrary to what you see on this site, eBay and the internet, bikes like this were fairly uncommon and the reason so many have survived is usually the same as the history of this bike. Someone bought it and rode it a few times and then it sat unused for the ensuing years.

In many cases these bikes weren't ridden because the shop that sold it didn't know how to fit the bike to the customer and/or properly adjust the seat and bars for that customer.

Bikes from this era usually came with totally pain inducing cheap plastic saddles and after being told that theirs butts would "get used to it" gave up riding their bikes after a short period of time.

Of the millions of bikes imported into the US during the Bike Boom of the early 1970s bikes like this one represented way less than 5% of the total number, probably closer to 2% or 3%.

Judging from the paint, this 35+ year old bike is in excellent cosmetic condition. You rarely see one this nice.

In my opinion if someone wants a shiny new bike, they should go down to their LBS and buy an Asian made fixie for $300 - maybe even less after Xmas because the fad is over!

If you repaint it you will have lost most of it's value. French bikes are starting to increase in value.

When the fixie fad goes away you'll be able to find fixies at places like the Salvation Army for $25. I got a $200 dollar bill says I'm right!

If you sell it, sell it to someone who will appreciate it for what it's worth. Bikes like this go for anywhere between $300 and $650.

Fixie fools will pay top dollar without any understanding about the history of the bike and then trash it.

If you part it out you may get maybe $600 but the hassles involved with running 5 to 7+ auctions on eBay plus the time and work involved removing the parts and in packing and shipping the items rarely covers you efforts.

The Karma you save may be your own... Wink

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:27 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Welcome to the site. Posted in the wrong section though...should be in the other (vintage Gitane) folder. I'll see about moving it....otherwise, it will be deleted in time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:18 am Reply with quote
Judge
Verktyg I like the title of post your post - funny.

I understand your position about this vintage bike hence my post. I also have liked the detail you provide in the other posts - good job.

I could go buy a fixed gear at any of the big box stores for cheap but I actally like the geometry of this frame (it rides very nice). I am not as enthused about 1970s shifting technology. Personally - I prefer my ultegra derailer to the Simplex version equipped on the Super Corsa Smile

And that gets to the heart of my problem. I like riding and and I want to ride this bike more versus simply garaging it. I am not the most nostalgic person when it comes to the paint job or shifters. I have a nice 20 mile loop right outside my garage that would be well suited for the Gitane!

That said - if someone wants to perserve the bike in its original form I understand it. I like this site and its been fun to learning about this model and seeing the pics of other users. I gave my SC a thorough cleaning last night and plan on taking more detailed pics of it which I'll post.

I am not looking to make a bunch of the money on this bike and I have no desire to part it out. If I do convert it to a ss - anyone is welcome to have the parts (derailer, original pedals etc).

If I am in the wrong section any help moving it would be much apprecated.

Peace and have ffun riding.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:40 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
...it is your bike so do what will please you. I would just carefully document (lots of detail photos) the way it was before any alterations are done so that if you dispose of it in the future someone will have a record if they choose to convert it back to original.

Granting you acquittal,
Jay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Your honor,

There is an alternative in this case...

You could carefully remove and save the Simplex derailleurs and shift levers plus the Universal brakes which someone added after the fact anyway.

Old Gitanes WILL go up in value, trust me because I never lie and I'm always right.

That way you could put on some more modern shifters and derailleurs. For casual riding, 8, 9 and 10 speed (11 speed too) is just gilding the lily. For the most part, all of those gears are the nocturnal emissions of marketers. Pros ride whatever bikes and components the team's advertisers provide.

Spinal Tap - TURN IT UP TO 11... Twisted Evil

I've never ridden with brifters... maybe after they pull my cold dead fingers off of my down tube shifters! Laughing

Retro Grouch forever!

BTW, what size is your TdF frame measured center to top the way Gitane did?

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Howdy. Sweet looking bike. I'm also in the "do what you want" school, but don't do anything irreversible. Don't dremel off the derailleur hanger, although taping it (threading it) for a modern derailleur is definitely cool by me.

One key factor: the rear dropout spread will be only 120mm. Go to the Sheldon Brown site and search for "cold setting", or take to a good frame builder's shop, if you've got one nearby. Spreading the rear to 126 (7 speed) is not difficult. Going all the way to 130, however, should only be done by a true frame builder, IMHO.

That said, you should install the drive train and components you like and will fit. Change whatever you want to make it "yours". Then ride.

I firmly agree that these bikes are wonderful riders. I have two 1971 versions, and cannot imagine parting with them. One is 99% original, one totally ain't. I love riding both of them because of the frame.

You'd be crazy to part with it, but if you must, send it to me!!!

Owen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:58 am Reply with quote
FORDSVTPARTS
One more vote for keeping it as is, Too many really fine bikes have fallen to the butchery of fixed/single speed conversions already.

If you need a fixie, find one that's done already or build one with a more common bike that has less history and value.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:16 am Reply with quote
tristan75
Keep it as it is!!! itīs in great conditions... if mine would have been in better conditions when I found it, I would have kept like it was.
Super Corsa - 'To sell or not to sell' 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery