gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » questions about 1978 Mexico Track
questions about 1978 Mexico Track 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
jackie o
Hi -

I'm new to this forum, so please excuse me if I'm asking common questions. I've searched for this information here and elsewhere, but haven't been able to find it.

I'm looking at buying a 1978 Gitane track - looks like it's the Mexico from the 1978 catalogue on this site. I know that the main three tubes are Reynolds 531 double-butted, but that the rear triangle and fork are probably something else.

My questions are these:
(1) Does anyone know which 531 tubeset this was? Competition? Professional? SL?
(2) Does anyone know or have an estimate of the weight of this frame (it's 56 square)? I would be buying it from afar, and can't touch it before buying. I'm figuring between 4.5 and 5 pounds, but I want to make sure I'm not in for a surprise.

Thanks! I really appreciate any help anyone can give a newbie.

---Mike
Boston, MA, USA

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:23 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
First, welcome to the site. No worries about the questions, as there are no common or bad ones: We are all learning here!

Regarding the frameset, it is my understanding that at the time (1970's), there were not any "grades" of 531. In the mid 1980's, Reynolds started introducing lighter versions of the classic 531 in response to Colombus' lighter tubes, but I could have that backwards.

As far as the weight, you may be right about the 4-5 lbs., but then my question to you would be: Why does that matter? You obviously aren't buying it for the weight, and if you are riding it on the track, then the weight wouldn't be your number one concern either....

I think that you are probably right about the weight. In any event, it won't be much more, if it is actually heavier, and you will be very happy with the performance. I have a c1984 track bike with Vitus tubing, and love it. I would imagine the one you are looking to buy will be even nicer, as I was never such a big fan of Vitus, and would prefer 531 any day...even if it was only in the three main tubes!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quote
jackie o
Thanks! I'm not TOO concerned about weight, although I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be surprisingly heavy - I've got to carry my bikes up several flights of stairs! It's more nerves than anything else - I just get nervous before dropping significant sums of money. I went ahead and bought the frame, and am eagerly awaiting it as I starting trying to figure out French BBs, stems, etc.

I'll probably be back posting again in a couple of weeks about component questions, etc. But I'll have pics then!

---Mike

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Don't buy any french threaded components just yet. Paul Wiseman, a member of this list, recently gave me a 1976 Gitane, which should have been French Threaded, but wasn't: It was English. You just never know what you are going to get with these bikes!

questions about 1978 Mexico Track 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane