gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » Gitane TDF en france
Gitane TDF en france 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Hi, while searching around for some little parts for my Gitane TDF, I came across this bike for sale which I bought last sunday. I live near Paris and jumped into the car and drove 5 hours to the coast where I found this
"bijou" It seems that this bike (1975? Tour de France) is new and was never used. The original owner left it to a neighbor/friend and it was stored ever since.
The only non french part is the Brooks Pro. seat which I believe was specified by the original owner when bought (my theory). Tires are original as is the "Gitane" marked pump.

Even the stickers are all there proudly showing that everything is French.

See photos. Thanks, Dan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Wow. Stunning bike.

The only thing I would recommend doing immediately is replacing the chain, which appears to be a couple of links short.

Otherwise, that thing is pristine! Can you take more pictures and post them? I would love to have more detailed pics for the website...that is an original finish and appears to be absolutely unmarred! What is the decal on the top of the seat tube? The dealer sticker? The Reynolds decal looks perfect as well. You seriously lucked out with that find, and the 5 hour drive was worth it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Hi again, the bike is not 100% perfect since it has been sitting for a long time but pretty nice. It has some normal but slight rubs and you can see just a little very minor surface rust here and there which can be cleaned up easily. But, what is nice is that everything is there and I will carefully clean it up to preserve it as well as possible. The sticker on the seat post is from the dealer. I will take more pictures this weekend and send them to you.

The only detain shots I have now are of the 531 sticker and the guidon which I was trying to indentify.

The chain was the only thing that bothered me on the bike and seems strange since I cannot see any wear on the chainwheel and I can't see why it might have been touched. The simplex derailer black aspect has slightly faded white etc.

Thanks, Dan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Beautiful. Can't make out the script on the top part of the bars. I would have guessed Belleri...but haven't seen those before.

The paint finish looks great. Some light waxing/polishing will really make it sparkle. A "back to black" car bumper product, similar to Armor All, will help the faded delrin on the derailleurs. However, those may just have to be replaced. They are cheap and readily available on ebay, so no problem there.

The chain may have been incorrectly installed when it was originally put on. But it appears to be too small for the gear range on that bike.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
poufthecascadeur
bonjour du sud de la france,
i have the same stem and bar on my gitane intersport
http://www.flickr.com/photos/poufthecascadeur/3285012687/sizes/o/in/set-72157616471457374/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/poufthecascadeur/3285830172/sizes/o/in/set-72157616471457374/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/poufthecascadeur/3285830010/sizes/o/in/set-72157616471457374/
marvellous bike!is it a 3 reynolds tubing or full reynolds tubing?can you post a picture from the seat lug?
We are lucky in France to find such bijou !(le bon coin?)

gitane sprint,nation,interclub,s.olympic,renault loisir,(bianchi record 748,legnano olympic record,follis,wolhauser,meral,peugeot px10,ps10,prn10,phr50,uo8,mercier 300,mercier service course,urago nervex&competition,motoconfort super champion)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
poufthecascadeur
sorry, i didn't see the reynolds sticker Embarassed

gitane sprint,nation,interclub,s.olympic,renault loisir,(bianchi record 748,legnano olympic record,follis,wolhauser,meral,peugeot px10,ps10,prn10,phr50,uo8,mercier 300,mercier service course,urago nervex&competition,motoconfort super champion)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:06 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Dan,
The handle bars are GUID. The engraved graphic of the Handle bar and stem within the G make the G difficult to read. The Stem is likely Belleri. These are the same as on my 1976 TdF. ( see "Jay's 1976 TdF Before" in this gallery )

Yours is likely a 1975. I have never seen a Gitane branded pump before. Beautiful bike!!!

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:19 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Dan,
What brand are the pedals and toe clips?

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Hello Jay, The pedals are marked Olympic Sprint and look very Italian. "Guid" seems to be the marque on the bars, maybe short for Guidon or something like that. When I came to live in France 25 years ago, I was always amazed to find great bike parts in big Food/Safeway type stores. Well since there are no more little bike shops left I tried one of these big stores and this is where they still sell sew-up tires, glue etc. My tires are old Wobler Corsa 80 or 60 and seem original and hold air but too silly to ride on.

Stephan, the dealer sticker says "P. Legerbe Cycles Les Sables"
I got the bike from a town called Chateau D'Olonne and there is still a bike shop (near there I believe) called LES SABLES D'OLONNE. So the bike seems to have been bought locally.

Thanks, Dan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Sorry, toe clips are "Christophe Special"

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Dan,
The GUID handle bars turn up from French sellers on eBay France from time to time. I don't recall seeing them offered by USA sellers but I do not pay close attention to them any longer.

Jay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:25 am Reply with quote
Muchocapucho
Frenchbuilt wrote:
Hi, while searching around for some little parts for my Gitane TDF, I came across this bike for sale which I bought last sunday...
See photos. Thanks, Dan

Wow, this is the same bike/frame like mine, that I purchased some weeks ago. It is my first race bike ever and i wondered, as an apprentice, which model it could be and if it was a cheap one or high class bike of that time. Now I know: it is definitely a Tour de France bike. It took me about a month to make it look nearly brand new, because it was cosmetically in a very used condition, but the frame is, besides the decals, in a good condition, except one part maybe, which i just noticed yesterday evening. But i cannot estimate how bad it is, cause i am not familiar with race bikes, steel frames etc.

Here are some picture of my bike.

[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote
Muchocapucho
The chain is not too long! I just a had a problem with a faulty derailleur, which I fixed yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:04 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Definitely high class, not cheap. That is made from Reynolds 531 tubing throughout. A real thoroughbred.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Hi,

Take a look at my two blue Gitanes in the photo section (under "Best and Cheapest" and "Done") They are like your bike.

I have seen several bikes like ours in France( 6 or so) and all have been BLUE and equiped with Sugino Mighty cranks, Normandy Competition hubs, Mafac Competition brakes, middle of the line plastic Simplex derailleurs and nicer Mavic rims. Most have Guid bars and Belleri stems.

Carefully rebuilding my bikes has confirmed the above (marks in the paint surface that fit with Simplex derailleur shapes, etc., etc.)

Frames are full Reynolds and have chromed rear stays with Honeycomb dropouts and chromed forks.

My bikes all came with matching black and chrome Gitane pump.
You have the original pump clip but no pump.

I have some stuff changed around and upgraded for nicer French parts so my bikes are (for me) more ridable.

My Orange bike came stock with everything in the photos and is basically new since the owner died many years ago and the bike sat in the neighbors basement. It has original Stronglight 93 cranks. I only replaced the too short chain. It is the only one that "I" have seen with these cranks but I believe it is an older model bike.

From what I can tell, our models were called Olympics but the original receipt for my nice blue one says Tour de France. (hand written)

So, I think that your bike is original except for the wheel/hub sets, the seat and post, the Simplex SLJ rear derailleurs, the brakes and levers.

I believe that it shared the same Frame as the all Campy equiped Gitanes and was the "French" top of the line Gitane bike at that time. Riding mine around gets the older cyclists interested
and I have been complimented on having (for them) one of the best of the '70's

Others on this site are the real experts for ID of Gitanes. So it is best to check up with them.

And you have a very nice bike!

Dan
Gitane TDF en france 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery